PDA

View Full Version : Laser Tile suggestions

Duane Parcells
01-05-2008, 12:03 PM
This map is 4 feet by 2.5 feet. Has anybody mounted and framed something of this size so it is a movable piece? What did you use to mount it on? I fear the weight of this thing finished is going to be a problem.
About the map.

The map has been referred to in various circles as America's birth certificate and for good reason; it is the first document on which the name "America" appears. It is also the first map to depict a separate and full Western Hemisphere and the first map to represent the Pacific Ocean as a separate body of water. The purchase of the map concluded a nearly century-long effort to secure for the Library of Congress that very special cartographic document which revealed new European thinking about the world nearly 500 years ago.

The original map is made up of 12 sheets of 18x24 inches each. That is why you see some lines through some of the tiles. The dark plaque on the lower left corner is a piece of Alumamark just sitting there telling about the map.
Any ideas appreciated
Duane

James Fowler
01-05-2008, 1:11 PM
Duane

I posted mine on a piece of 3/4" plywood, and framed it in cherry. Overall, yes it is heavy, but I didn't want it flexing with the tile on it. A good set of wall anchors will hold it fine. The overall weight of the piece was 63 pounds. Mine is 2 x 3.

Have a great day.

V/R

Jamie

David Lavaneri
01-05-2008, 3:26 PM
Duane,

If you used spacerless tiles, the weight of the finished piece would be much lighter and without the grout spacers, (or lugs), the image would be more contiguous.

I don't think stock Lasertiles are sold in that format, but it may be possible to use TherMark for ceramics to create your own.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Scott Shepherd
01-05-2008, 3:53 PM
Map of the World? I thought it was an ultrasound of Frank Corker when he was a baby :D

Frank Corker
01-05-2008, 9:04 PM
Thanks for that - side on and taken when I wasn't in a good mood