PDA

View Full Version : Am I AutoCad Hampered?

Victor Stearns
01-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Greetings to All,
I use Autocad for most of my 2d drawings. However, I want to step up to 3d. I had a copy of Autocad until my last computer crash. As I upgraded the computed, the Autocad version will not work on the new computer. So I downloaded SketchUp but am having issues in using it as I am used to typing in the dimensions and coordinates.
Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
Victor

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Take the online tutorials to get yourself started effectively in SketchUp!. It will still take you a little time to get your mind re-wired from the pure CAD environment, but do know that SU allows you to type in things like lengths after drawing a segment (while it's still selected) so you can fine tune, etc.

Wes Bischel
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Victor,
I am in a similar boat - "grew-up" on AutoCAD and am now attempting to move to Sketchup. I am no expert here, and can only pass along what I have found to date.
I found that dragging the cursor in the direction you want your line will bring up a small dialog box on screen "on blue axis" etc. Your dimension can be typed in the box on the lower right hand of the screen without the axis, @ and <. Not perfect, but it does speed things up quite a bit.

I don't know to do specific angles - maybe one of the experts will chime in here!

FWIW,
Wes

Larry James
01-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Greetings to All,
I use Autocad for most of my 2d drawings. However, I want to step up to 3d. I had a copy of Autocad until my last computer crash. As I upgraded the computed, the Autocad version will not work on the new computer. So I downloaded SketchUp but am having issues in using it as I am used to typing in the dimensions and coordinates.
Does anyone have suggestions?
Thanks
Victor

Coordinates? that may be part of the problem - think inference lines - red, blue and green. Buy Google SketchUp for Dummies, no kidding, it made a major difference for me. View the associated videos on U-tube.

http://www.aidanchopra.com/

(My apologies for plugging the Dummies book for about the 5th time, but the book and videos work.)

Larry

Mike Golka
01-08-2008, 3:26 PM
I can't imagine designing anything without AutoCad. I use it all the time and 3D work is a snap, even with some of the older versions extruding objects made 3D design fairly easy. What version did you have that it won't work now, or is it a "Windows" issue?

Victor Stearns
01-13-2008, 5:51 PM
Mike, Mostly an windows issue as I now have windows XP with an older version of Autocad. I did not want to spend a large amount of money for a new Autocad license.
Victor

Paul Simmel
01-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Victor,

Insofar as 2-D work, I've used AC quite a bit over the years and, like you, have found the drawing tools really intuitive... logical... and very easy.

SU is a different, but a likeable animal. I've been at it for about a week and learning a lot. As Jim stated, look for online Tutorials. At least you see what is possible with this software. With a lot of practice and a little persistence, I have managed to navigate around pretty well.

The learning curve is not at all as easy as some have said. There is a LOT to SU, thus a lot to learn, but IMO it is time well spent.

I found this forum to be very helpful:

http://www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/index.php?sid=433211e43d0aa7e99bf5296165e954be

Did you stick with it?

Glenwood Morris
01-27-2008, 7:26 PM
I use Rhino v4. I have used AutoCad and Sketchup.

Rhino is a full NURBS modeler, so if you are trying to model complex 3d forms, for say CNC machining, it can do that. Rhino is also quick and accurate.

Sketchup can be a bit faster than Rhino (if I were at my peak in both, which I am not now) but when you are done all you have is a polygonal/tesselated/pixelated blah. You aren't going to machine anything off of a sketchup model (or if you do, your curves are all going to be a series of straight lines).

My point is, if you want 3d just as a visualization tool, sketchup can be fine.

If you want to do 3d and be able to either CNC from the model, or have a decent rendering that is worthy of showing to a client, take the time to learn Rhino.

Oliver Lande
01-28-2008, 4:48 PM
I'm not sure if this will fit your issue or not, but try this -

Turn the date back in your computer, install AutoCAD with the licensing requirements, and then set your date back to correct. AutoCAD versions are coded to look for a date and since I use an older version this is the way I get ACAD to install on my computer.

Mark Bellonby
01-28-2008, 5:14 PM
Have used Autocad for many years, and also use Sketchup. AC can be very fast and precise for 2d drafting; it's amazing to see how fast some people can use it. Drawing in SU can be slow in comparison (maybe it is better in 6 - I'm still on 5. DWG files can be easily imported into Sketchup, rotated, altered, made into groups or componants, etc. etc.

I often mock up elevations and plans (furniture and architecture) in AC, then import them into SU where they are traced - forms are quickly made, then manipulated to test design variations.

Real speed with both programs comes from doing it alot.