PDA

View Full Version : New turner Thanks Creekers

Karin Voorhis
01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Hello. I am Karin and I started my woodworking with a laser and then built a woodworking shop. Well after much thought and months of admiring all your works and many locals here at craft shows I made a new purchase (see pic attached) and built a new bench lastnight.
I want to thank every one here for sharing there works and information. I have yet to turn anything but here is Pic to show you my new set up to start with pens. Any ideas or suggestion?
I would love to hear from all..... Thanks again for the help you all have given me thus far as I have lurked your threads for many months.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the Vortex Karin!

1. Join a local turning club. Turners by nature are a generous lot and I'm sure some will be glad to give you some free lessons.

2. Check for a local Woodcraft store and take some lessons. Quickest way to gain some expertise...

3. A book "Woodturning - A Foundation Course" by Keith Rowley. Well written and illustrated aimed directly at the beginning turner. He tells and shows you the "hows and whys".

4. For bowl turning it's hard to beat Bill Grumbine's first DVD "Turned Bowls Made Easy"

5. If you don't have a sharpening system ....get one.....a slow speed grinder and a jig system. Turning tools new...are not sharp and learning to turn and sharpen at the same time can be frustrating. A sharpening jig can reduce the time it takes to learn to get a repeatable bevel and a sharp bevel. Dull tools when turning are the pits and in fact, can cause more catches.

You are now on your way to the closest thing I've found to instant gratification in the world of woodworking! Enjoy the learning experience!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Welcome Karin. Ken pretty much gave you some spot on info. Looks like a great setup you got. Learn and enjoy.

Dennis Peacock
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Welcome to The Creek Karin..!!!!! The vortex runs strong and deep here. You met all the requirements in full as a newcomer to the turning forum....you posted a pic of your lathe. :D

WELCOME!!!!!!!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 10:51 AM
Welcome to the Creek Karin! Have fun turning and remember - it's only wood! Looking forward to seeing your work!

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Welcome to the Vortex!! (One of the very fine slippery slopes... :) )

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I'd have to second the books that Ken mentioned- the Rowley one is excellent and I consult it often. Do yourself a favor and get a grinder with the right jigs for your tools; the expense will pay for itself in just a little while. Welcome to SMC (aka the Vortex)

Mike A. Smith
01-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Welcome Karin! All of the advice above is sound and should be followed. However, in addition to being generous, turners are also notoriously impatient. Read a bit, then rip a couple of 2x4's into 2x2's and start playing with some spindle work!

Dean Thomas
01-05-2008, 3:02 PM
Welcome to our spinny world!

The biggie for me is indeed to find a nearby chapter of the Association of American Woodturners (AAW) and JOIN it ASAP. You'll find not only real live people willing to share what they know, but you'll usually find VIDEO resources and BOOKS that will teach, inspire, and yes, even confuse at times.

I loved the Grumbine bowl video. Humor, emphasis on tool skills and sharpening, good pace. For beginners in one club here in Kansas City, I recommend Bonnie Klein's first three videos. They are a little aged, but the basics are still the basics. Bonnie delivers the basics well and on a little different plane than other teachers do. Her first video includes some simple skill-builders that are so valuable. I encourage folks to watch it once straight through, no pencils allowed. Then again to take notes and clear up some points. Then a third time with tools ready and sharp to pause the video and go to the shop to DO the skill builder. Bring the skill builder back and compare it with what she showed. Then do it again and again until it begins to look like what she showed you. Then the other skill builders and then the projects.

The biggest thing is to get a couple of safe skills and practice the heck out of 'em!! Gouges are more user friendly than skews, usually, but once you get the hang of skew-use, you might find it your "go-to" tool.

One handy tip that someone passed to me a long time ago was that scrapers are scraping tools and most all others are cutting tools. Learn to cut with the cutting tools, learn to avoid scraping with them, and you'll be way ahead of the usual learning curve!

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on your journey in the vortex.

Tom Sherman
01-06-2008, 9:57 AM
Karin welcome to this crazy spinny world, above all else remember to have fun turning.

Karin Voorhis
01-07-2008, 9:16 AM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. I have been at the creek for over a year playing in the laser forum and general woodworking. I have learned more from hanging out reading and looking at pictures from everyone here at the creek. I am honored and privilaged to be a part of such a great group. Thanks I will be heading all the advice you shared in this thread.