PDA

View Full Version : Aligning tablesaw top

Jim VanBramer
02-26-2004, 11:10 AM
I've been hanging out in the shadows here for awhile now, and it's amazing what you can learn (not always pertaining to woodworking either :rolleyes: )! Now that I'm finally starting to get some equipment and set up shop it's time to start asking some questions.
Right now I'm trying to level my tablesaw top and am having some difficulty. I laid a straight edge across from wing to wing, and that's exactly what it looks like ... a plane with winglets! I've gone in and taken any burrs off the mating surfaces, which helped some but the wings still tend to slant up somewhat. What can you do to correct this problem??

Michael Ballent
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Adding shims to the top of the joint between the table and the wings should help lower the "wing tips". I got lucky with mine and have not really needed to do this. Some people use paper, others use pieces of aluminum foil for the shims. HTH

-Michael

Chris Padilla
02-26-2004, 1:23 PM
Jim,

Try masking tape as Michael alluded to; a small 1 or 2" piece just above the bolts. That is a cheap and quick shim.

Most hardware stores stock shim material as well in varying thicknesses. I have some very thin brass foil.