PDA

View Full Version : Kelton Gouges

Tom Bucanan
01-05-2008, 9:23 AM
Has anyone used the kelton gouges with the replacable tips? Any advice on buying one or not?

Christopher K. Hartley
01-05-2008, 9:34 AM
Has anyone used the kelton gouges with the replacable tips? Any advice on buying one or not? Sorry Tom I have not, but I do own other Kelton Products and would buy anything they make. It is Quality!!! The tips are on my next to buy list.:)

Tom Bucanan
01-05-2008, 9:48 AM
They seem like a great deal and I could use my kelton coring handle on the gouge (right?). Also, the actual took seems very long and very sturdy. Is there any problem with the tips spinning?

Christopher K. Hartley
01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Tom I believe you can. Not sure of the size handle you have but it should work. Email Kel and he will tell you. His address is on his site.:)

Tom Bucanan
01-06-2008, 8:52 PM
I guess I won't get them because no one else has given them a try. What gouge would you recommend from Craft Supplies (I got a couple gift certificates). I want a gouge that would be good for roughing off alot of wood because I have a PM 4224. Any suggestions?

steven carter
01-07-2008, 9:39 AM
Tom,

I have an ellsworth pro-pm bowl gouge that works nice for roughing, but I mainly use a homemade Oland tool because it uses replaceable tool bits. I hate to waste the metal in the ellsworth gouge for roughing because the Oland tool does a great job. I found out how to make the Oland tool from Darrell Feltmate's web site, www.allaroundthewoods.com. I made two of these tools, one uses a quarter inch bit and the other three eights. I use the smaller one for smaller bowls and the larger one for bigger bowls (go figure!). Basically, you take a piece of cold rolled steel and have a hole drilled in the end of it and then drill for a couple of set screws to hold the bit in. Turn a handle, glue it on and you have a great tool for roughing blanks. Hope this helps. I had about $10.00 for each tool, and the bits are only a couple of bucks each.

Steve