PDA

View Full Version : Free Turning wood for St. Louis, MO Turners

Tim Malyszko
01-05-2008, 9:19 AM
Yesterday, I was brining a client to lunch in University City and drove past a tree trimming service located on North and South between Page and Olive Boulevards and a HUGE pile of wood caught my eye with a "Free Firewood" sign right above it. After taking the client to lunch and dropping him off, I headed back to the pile to see what was available and there was a whole lot of good stuff in there. The majority of it was sycamore and cherry, with a bunch of crotch pieces.

Unfortunately, I did not have a chainsaw on me and the smallest pieces weighed over 100 lbs, so I was unable to take any. This stuff would have made excellent turning wood.

The place is called Shield Shade Tree, INC. If you are in the area, you should check it out. I may go back there this afternoon with chainsaw in hand.

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Gee, wish I lived in St. Louis right now! Actually, I wish the scientists would work that teleportation thing out, because I kinda like ol' Huntingdon Valley.

Steve LaFara
01-05-2008, 3:35 PM
I wish I had a chain saw and a truck!:(

That's only about 20 minutes from my house.

Steve Schlumpf
01-05-2008, 5:39 PM
Hope you got a chance to score some of that wood Tim! You can never have enough cherry on hand!

Keith Cope
01-05-2008, 8:52 PM
Tim, thanks for the tip!

I have more hunks o' wood than time right now, but I bet they have a year-round supply--have to keep them in mind!

Keith

Joe Mioux
01-05-2008, 8:58 PM
My old stompin grounds!!! sort of ....

I used to live on the corner of North & South and Kingsbury in Old Clayton.

Kingsbury is one street south of Delmar.

Gary Herrmann
01-05-2008, 9:27 PM
Dang. I may have to go check that out tomorrow. Tim, I sent you a pm if you want to meet over there.

Tim Malyszko
01-06-2008, 8:44 AM
I did not get a chance to go back on Saturday. It was a busy day.

Unfortunately, I don't think I will get back today either. I am going back to Part Time graduate school starting next week to get my MBA and I have about 8 hours of reading to do today. :(

I have more hunks o' wood than time right now, but I bet they have a year-round supply--have to keep them in mind!

Judging by the amount of sawdust laying around I would assume that they are always refilling the free firewood pile.

Good luck to anyone that goes. With the nice weather yesterday, hopefully there weren't too many people cutting it up and halling it off for firewood.

Tom Sontag
01-06-2008, 9:35 PM
Good luck harvesting from the free firewood pile. But please make sure not to wander over to the pile they have for a certain urban log recycling operation that saves them big money on log disposal. If you are not sure about what they are giving away and what is part of their long standing business arrangements, please ask.