PDA

View Full Version : Need Grr-Ripper Advice

JD Dolan
01-05-2008, 8:55 AM
I'm ready to buy a Grr-Ripper (or two), but I can't find a decent website (including Microjig's) that compares the models and their various options. Any advice on what to get?

I'm going to be using it on multiple tools, and will sometimes be working with relatively short/thin stock.

Also, does anybody know where there's a good deal on these right now?

Thanks,
J.D.

Dave Falkenstein
01-05-2008, 9:47 AM
I have two Grr-Rippers and use them on my table saw and router table. I have a bunch of do-dads that attach to the basic Grr-Ripper to make it do funky things. Almost all of the time I use the basic configuration and the do-dads sit in a drawer. I do find that having two Grr-Rippers is advantageous - one for each hand for managing long stock.

Jesse Cloud
01-05-2008, 10:48 AM
What Dave said. Don't use the gadgets, but having two is a very good idea.

They do go on sale from time to time. Watch Rockler and Woodcraft.

BTW, sooner or later there's a good chance that you will cut into one of the parts (better that than a finger, eh?). Micro-jig sells replacement parts at a reasonable price.

Aaron Beaver
01-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I have two of them as well, one came with all the extras, and the other one was the regular one. Have used the extras a couple of times but I wouldn't want two of them that had all the extras.

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I bought two of these: http://www.microjig.com/GR-200.htm The model GR-200. I find in practice I do not use the large plate but the GR-100 does not come with the adjustable spacer which is critical for me. I have not seen the need for the handle bridge or any other doo-dads although it depends on what one is doing.

If you want a straight recommendation, look for a good price on a pair of GR-200's and be happy. I paid about $50 each at Woodworkers Inc but cannot find them on their site anymore. It seems like a lot of money for a 'push block' but once you've used them it will be very obvious why most everybody loves them.

scott spencer
01-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I've got one, and like Dave and others, I use it in it's basic configuration. I like it a lot...two would be nice.

Nissim Avrahami
01-05-2008, 12:42 PM
OK, somebody must be against and this time it's me...

For me, un-guarded blade is big "NO"

To pass my hand over un-guarded blade is big "NO NO"

I think that I can do any operation that one can do with the Gripper in a safer way and with the blade guarded.

But, it's only me...:)

niki

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 1:04 PM
OK, somebody must be against and this time it's me...

For me, un-guarded blade is big "NO"

To pass my hand over un-guarded blade is big "NO NO"

I think that I can do any operation that one can do with the Gripper in a safer way and with the blade guarded.

But, it's only me...:)

niki

I understand Niki's concern gut the GRR-Ripper is a guard and more sturdy than most affixed ones. BTW, I am big on using my overarm guard on all cuts when possible.

Rick Moyer
01-05-2008, 3:28 PM
I feel safer using the Grippper than any other push stick,push block, blade guard, etc. You can even rip a 1/4"X1/4" length of wood safely with it. I only have one (with all the gadgets) but will buy another soon. I have yet to use the wide sole plate, but do use the pc that attaches to the side and rides on the table top, as well as using it without, as needed. I think it is a very well thought out device and would highly recommend it.

JD Dolan
01-05-2008, 8:45 PM
Thanks, everybody! Just ordered a couple of the 200s.
J.D.

Bruce Page
01-05-2008, 8:59 PM
Thanks, everybody! Just ordered a couple of the 200s.
J.D.
You'll like them. I love mine.

John Newell
01-06-2008, 6:29 PM
Bought a pair yesterday after looking at them for a while. Very impressive design and manufacturing. I wish these people made automobiles. :D However, I have to say that using them this afternoon as the instructions say really gives me the willies...it will take a while to get used to seeing my hand pass over the blade. :eek: Actually, I'm not convinced I *am* going to get used to that sight... :(

Bruce Page
01-06-2008, 6:36 PM
Bought a pair yesterday after looking at them for a while. Very impressive design and manufacturing. I wish these people made automobiles. :D However, I have to say that using them this afternoon as the instructions say really gives me the willies...it will take a while to get used to seeing my hand pass over the blade. :eek: Actually, I'm not convinced I *am* going to get used to that sight... :(

I felt the same way but rationalized that it’s better to pass over than to pass through. :eek:

Joe Mioux
01-06-2008, 6:59 PM
i have a 100 and a 200. I like them very much.

if you watch the video, oh say............... 5 or 6 times you will lose the fear of your hand passing over the blade.

The key is to keep the blade just above your cut without much more blade extended.

You should have seen the itsy bitsy cuts I performed today with it.

joe

John Newell
01-06-2008, 7:18 PM
Well, worst case, you can get replacement parts...for the GRRripper. One of the attractions was small rips.

Grant Vanbokklen
01-06-2008, 7:41 PM
I paid about $50 each at Woodworkers Inc but cannot find them on their site anymore. It seems like a lot of money for a 'push block' but once you've used them it will be very obvious why most everybody loves them.

A while back I remember seeing a post about a sale on these. Is $50 about the best price to be had for these? Or have they gone lower?

John Newell
01-06-2008, 9:34 PM
A while back I remember seeing a post about a sale on these. Is $50 about the best price to be had for these? Or have they gone lower?

I was seeing $50 for the basic and $70 for the Model 200.

Brian Dormer
01-07-2008, 4:53 PM
Two Gripper 200's is the way to go.

Frank Orzehoski
01-07-2008, 5:13 PM

John, trust me, after using this fine tool a few times you will feel at ease.

John Newell
01-07-2008, 9:08 PM
Mind hasn't triumphed over heart yet...thanks! :)

Thomas Canfield
01-07-2008, 9:38 PM
I have 2 sets of grippers. I bought the deluxe the first time, and then saw the standard on sale and bought them for parts. Checking the price of replacement pads made the cost of a set on sale look very attractive.

NOW a bigger question - How and where do you store the gripper and accessories? They are truly handy, but difficult to store and the additional pads and risers only adds to the storage problem.

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the GRR-ripers as well and really like them. Very good product and it adds a layer of safety at the TS that I didn't have before getting them. :)

Tom Veatch
01-07-2008, 11:30 PM
...NOW a bigger question - How and where do you store the gripper and accessories?....

I built a cabinet based on a design in one of the WW mags - don't recollect which one - that resides under the right extension table of my saw (54" bar). All my TS related stuff, tenon jig, inserts, setup gauges, blades, gripper, etc. are in one of the drawers of that cabinet.

Craig D Peltier
01-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I have two. I dont like there grip although. Alot of times it seems like the gripper is moving but not the wood. Maybe I need some wax on the table.
Has anyone mounted sandpaper to theirs?

John Newell
01-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I have two. I dont like there grip although. Alot of times it seems like the gripper is moving but not the wood. Maybe I need some wax on the table.
Has anyone mounted sandpaper to theirs?

The instructions stress cleaning the pads with alcohol frequently - might be worth trying.

Larry James
01-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Go to this link for access to all the Grr-Ripper animations and and videos. I bought the DVD, and would recommend it.

http://www.microjig.com/All%20Animations.htm

Larry

Mack Cameron
01-08-2008, 1:38 PM
[quote]NOW a bigger question - How and where do you store the gripper and accessories? They are truly handy, but difficult to store and the additional pads and risers only adds to the storage problem. Here's how I store my 4.
I guess you can tell my shop walls are pegboard. I also drilled holes in the side plate thingie so when it's not being used it can be hung up as well.

Peachtree Woodworking Supply, Inc. had them on sale early last Nov. , the GR-100 for $39.99.

Scott Vigder
01-08-2008, 7:25 PM
I bought my first Gripper over a year ago and now have three. I mostly build desks, tables and bookcases, some with long (70") cuts of relatively narrow boards. I love the Grippers ease of adjustability and secure guiding of the material.

Once you practice the hand-over-hand method, you'll be Rippin' and Grippin' like a pro!

John Newell
01-08-2008, 8:13 PM
I bought a pair this weekend and ordered the DVD. I'm curious how many are using them on jointers or router tables?

Tom Veatch
01-09-2008, 3:36 AM
...I'm curious how many are using them on jointers or router tables?

Here's one who does.

Aaron Beaver
01-09-2008, 1:15 PM
I bought a pair this weekend and ordered the DVD. I'm curious how many are using them on jointers or router tables?

I use them on my jointer all the time and they hold small pieces well on the router table.

Glenn Clabo
01-09-2008, 1:18 PM
I do..I do.

Phil Harding
01-09-2008, 1:19 PM

I use Grr-Rippers with my jointer for face jointing, table saw for all rips less than 6 inchs, router table for just about all cuts, and bandsaw when resawing.

Love em!:D

-- Phil

glenn bradley
01-09-2008, 6:09 PM
How and where do you store the gripper and accessories? They are truly handy, but difficult to store and the additional pads and risers only adds to the storage problem.

My GRR-Rippers set on a shelf at the back of my TS attached router table cabinet for easy access for both tools. The spare parts live in a drawer in my rolling worktable.

Mike Heidrick
01-09-2008, 7:15 PM
I have one 200 and the St Louis WW show is coming up and I will stock up on at least two more. I use mine on the TS, and router table all the time. Really wish I had two. I really like them. I use mine with the riving knife on the SS. Works great.

Thomas Canfield
01-09-2008, 9:07 PM
Mak Cameron,

Thanks for picture of storage - worth a thousand words. I guess I have been a little reluctant to add some additional holes to hang the extra items, but that does sound and look like a good solution.

ronald brand
01-10-2008, 9:11 AM
I've always felt using the grippers gives me the same control and safety as cutting a half inch dado in two inch stock. Very secure.

Ron