PDA

View Full Version : The Woodworking Shows turnaround?

Randy Klein
01-05-2008, 7:19 AM
I know there has been a lot of disappointment in the "The Woodworkig Shows" lately. But according to a Michael Dresdner interview (http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/wwj/index.cfm/free.industryinterview), that should all be changing.

Just wanted to know if anyone has seen these changes. Specifically, if the big name manufactures are still there (Steel City etc.).

If anyone goes to the Baltimore show this weekend or Columbus OH show next weekend, please report back on how it was.

Scott Whiting
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Talking to some of the folks I know in the industry the next 6 months will tell. Rumors have it that some of the big names will be back now that the show has a game plan. Attendees like to see stationary equipment so that is a draw but they mostly buy little stuff and you have to sell a lot of little stuff to pay for the booth. A friend of mine locally lost several thousand a while back but had one of the busiests booths there because he was showing mostly stationary tools. As for the 8,000 people that may work fine in Pomona but I don't think even at it's peak Phoenix has drawn half that. The new ownership did do some advertising at the last minute this year and that will certainly help if they continue. I hope they succeed, I think the shows still have a place in the market.

Greg Just
01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Let's hope they recover. The show in St. Paul last fall was cancelled at the last minute, but there is one scheduled again for the end of February. I went to the one last winter and it was a real disappointment. Luckily I parked on the street and saved the $15 parking fee!

Chuck Lenz
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Until woodworking makes it worthwhile for the younger generation or anyone else to get into, I doubt things will get better. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Randal Stevenson
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Was wondering about what was going to happen, our local show has been going downhill, STRONGLY the last couple of years. Now at this late stage of the game, compared to when our show is, it doesn't look like this year will be any better. I went to both the site and our shows location site, and there is both no vendor list, and the entry fee, is listed as to be determined. That sounds to me like vendors might not even be fully lined up again. Feb. 1st is our show, by this time last year, you knew what the ticket price was, and I believe could preorder it, and you had a vendor list.

It is going to be a slow turn around for us.

John Thompson
01-05-2008, 12:28 PM
I won't make the Baltimore WW show as I am in Atlanta, Randy. But I can answer the question, "is Steel City" at the show. The answer is... You Betcha!

I just spoke to Scott Box (VP of Steel City) about and hour ago on his cell phone. The SC machines come from the local distributor who brings them to the show to represent themselves. But the Steel City show guys fly or drive in to work the Steel City line of machines from the distributors booth.

If ya happen to go to the show... drop by and tell Mr, Box that "Sarge" sends his regards and tell him I said to quit answering his cell phone and get back to work. :)..

Sarge..

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I went to "the Woodworking Shows" in Pomona, CA and felt the major players were well represented. I don't often get to lay my hands on Laguna, Aggazanni, Mini Max, etc. in the same room with Delta, Powermatic, DeWalt and all our usual players.

The demos were poor, infrequent and the audio quality was so poor that you had to just follow along as best you could. The exception was the WWII demo and the guy wasn't even using a mic. With all it costs to put on such a show there was no excuse for this. Good sound reinforcement is not rocket science. Its math, common sense and experience. *** did I say that out loud? ***

Vic Damone
01-05-2008, 1:34 PM
Living in a well populated urban area it's still difficult to get a first hand look at much of the industries stationary machinery. Add a show discount and it seems like it would be a great sales opportunity. Aside from the promoter issues, do machine manufactures/importers make enough sales at shows?

What's a typical manufacturer show discount?

Vic

Greg Just
01-05-2008, 3:56 PM
I was just at their website and a single day ticket is $6.00 and a multi-day ticket is $9.00

http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Randy Klein
01-05-2008, 5:17 PM
I won't make the Baltimore WW show as I am in Atlanta, Randy. But I can answer the question, "is Steel City" at the show. The answer is... You Betcha!

I just spoke to Scott Box (VP of Steel City) about and hour ago on his cell phone. The SC machines come from the local distributor who brings them to the show to represent themselves. But the Steel City show guys fly or drive in to work the Steel City line of machines from the distributors booth.

If ya happen to go to the show... drop by and tell Mr, Box that "Sarge" sends his regards and tell him I said to quit answering his cell phone and get back to work. :)..

Sarge..

Can you get back on the phone and ask if they are selling their DP for a discount? :D

Peter Kuhlman
01-05-2008, 5:53 PM
I have been checking vendor lists at some of the shows and I no longer see Woodpeckers, Incra, Jointech. Last year in Houston, it was very disappointing. The various manufacturers were not there as they were relying on local dealers to show products - Leigh, Akeda, etc. There were very few classes - only on one day if I remember correctly - and they were only like 1 hour long. I used to go to the New Orleans shows for the classes but those have been cancelled for the last 4 years or so. I don't purchase much in the way of tools any more so go to see new tools, ideas, and mostly to catch a 1/2 day or all day class. Living in Louisiana kind of sucks as woodworking is not marketed by stores, no one offering classes, very little in the way of local hardwood supplies as we don't have traditional hardwood trees.
Pete

John Thompson
01-05-2008, 6:21 PM
I won't bother him anymore this week-end Randy, as you stay very busy at those shows. But.. I can probably answer the question with almost certainty without asking I believe.. But... it would not be a consclusive answer as each distributor has different ideas of how they want to market.

SC doesn't encourage the dealers to discount as that would be un-fair to other dealers that might not get the price if they are a large concern and can buy in more quantity than say a local Woodcraft. Steel City does do rebates, but the Drill Press is not part of the rebate as it is one of their top sellers currently.

They have to rely on a product ETA that has to travel water... cutoms.. trucking.. etc. etc. to get to SC. And then to the dealer. I would guess they have no reason to rebate it as it is not affecting cash flow of what's on hand. Again.. they have a hard time keeping it on hand as even large companies cannot deplete cash flow.

But.. with that said, the local which brought em to the store could deal under the table if they so desired. I just doubt they would do it at the show with SC corporates on hand. Just my opinion of course.

I would like that press also. The one I've owned for 5 years has been great... but I would still like that SC press for the 6" quill travel and it has the split head to back that feature up down the road.

Sarge..

Randy Klein
01-05-2008, 7:25 PM
Sarge, That's what I figured. The Columbus show is an hour drive for me one way, so I was trying to see if it'd be worthwhile, gas the way it is.

John Thompson
01-05-2008, 8:06 PM
Pretty much the trend from what I've seen in the last 6-7 years as to show discounts as others have mentioned. And I go to quite a few shows but not for pricing. I like to keep up with the machines and to do so you have to visually see them to make true comparisons.

There are some quite good seminars at the Atlanta WW show coming up in Febuary, I believe. Atlanta draws a pretty big crowd even though there are few machines that you can't physically see in town as there are a number of dealrers. The show gives you an opportunity to see them on the same floor and not go on memory when makiing a comparison.

And the IWF (International WW Show) at Ga. Congress Center every other fall is enormous. Manufacturers from all over the world come to it to show their wares and is geared for commercial clients. That's the big daddy of them all, including the large Las Vegas show.

Keep watching local for your press as the economy is not good. As in car sales, you might just get deal by flaunting you are in the market but you are shopping prices. When someone gets lean and hungry... they sometimes bend to get some cash in the door.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Bruce Wrenn
01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
The former owners of the Woodworking Shows didn't always do their homework. Here they had a show in early September once. The four major colleges had a home football game, and there was a FREE air show three miles from the WW show. The did a show in Columbia SC two weeks before the Charlotte NC show. About an hundred miles apart. Killed both shows attendance. They did, on short notice, a show in Greensboro NC in late May. That time of year, we are on the golf course, or at the lake. Remember to go with friends as a group, and consider the show to be what it is - entertainment and fellowship. Also a place to pick up those "trinket items " that cost more to, ship, than to buy. As Woodline is a part owner, I wonder how Peachtree is handling that. The demise of TWC didn't help things either. I always have a policy of seeing the whole show before making any purchases. That way, I get the best deals. In the fall, my neighbor and I went to Richmond VA to a show. Total travel time for round trip was eight hours. Spent less than two hours in show. But did get to see Frank Klausz cut dove tails and build stone pond. Probably no more than ten people watching, so he could answer questions. Spent less than twenty bucks at the show.