PDA

View Full Version : Used Jointer - To Buy or Not To Buy

Paul Fitzgerald
01-04-2008, 11:24 PM
Finally... after months of watching... my local craigslist has something I'm actually interested in:

A Ridgid 6-1/8" Jointer/Planer with an asking price of $300. I think it's the JP0610.

What should I look for when I go check it out to ensure it's in good shape? Assuming it's in good shape, is $300 a fair price and what would you offer the guy?

Thanks!

Paul

Joe Chritz
01-05-2008, 1:37 AM
It is a good jointer and I had one until I bought an 8". If it is pristine $300 isn't terrible since they are around $400 new. It isn't a killer deal though. I generally start at 60% of new for used equipment if possible.

If you can swing the room and can weight I strongly recommend going to an 8". I have much fewer times I have to rip stock down to face then I did before. They are, however a lot more and awful big.

Take a good straight edge and check the tables for coplanar and flat. Check the knives, sharpening isn't much but you need to figure that in if they need it.

If you do pick it up and 6" is wide enough you will be happy with it, I was.

Joe

Denny Rice
01-05-2008, 1:42 AM
I agree. An 8" jointer is the way to go, if you want a decent jointer at a fairly reasonable price Grizzly usually puts some pretty good sales on. I own a 8" Grizzly and love it.:D

Norman Pyles
01-05-2008, 1:46 AM
If it's in good shape, offer $250. Most sellers will come down, if your standing there with the money. Good luck.

Dan Barr
01-05-2008, 1:52 AM
if everything is in order before you buy, then go ahead. i also dont think its that good of a deal. i got a grizzly 6" for 230.00 a while back.

things to check:

-tables for coplaner - use a REALLY GOOD straight edge.
-flatness (dips or bows) in the tables - straight edge
-blades for knicks and sharpness
-check fence for straight and flat with the straightedge as well
-adjustablility of the fence and tables
-check the switch for easy function

i would take a square with me and joint a piece on it before i bought it too.

good luck,

dan

Paul Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info everyone!

I spoke with the guy this morning... It is the JP06101 and is about 1 year old. He has all the parts and the manual and he isn't aware of any issues. He bought it to assist in make some flooring for his home, but that never panned out so it has seen very little use in the last year. He says he can't imagine the knives have seen enough use to need replacement.

Everything sounds good so far.

I'm going to go by and take a look at it around lunch time today. I'll check the tables and fence for flatness and coplanarity. I'll check that all the adjustments work properly and that nothing is broken. I'll also run some scrap over it to see it in action.

The only thing I'm worried about it getting it home. I have an Isuzu Rodeo and can fold the back seats down and have plenty of room. But I think I'll have to partially take the jointer apart so it doesn't fall over or bend or break something during transit.

Thanks again for the info!

Paul

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Paul, it's generally easy to remove the jointer from the base. Just be sure you're not picking it up by the ends of the tables... ;)

Paul Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 5:33 PM
I went by and looked at the jointer.

The tables and fence were flat, the knives were sharp and free of nicks, all the controls worked smoothly, it had no rust, and not even the tiniest bit of vibration. I'd have guessed it was new.

With tax, a new one would be $435. He wouldn't come down much, but I was able to take it home for $275, for a savings of $160 or about 37% over buying new.

I got it back home and put back together. I haven't adjusted or cleaned anything yet, but it's working very well and I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

Thanks for the quick assistance. You guys are great!

Paul

Danny Thompson
01-05-2008, 8:54 PM
Nice catch, Paul. I check Craigslist almost daily. Surprised that one got by me.

Paul Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 8:57 PM
Nice catch, Paul. I check Craigslist almost daily. Surprised that one got by me.

Thanks Danny!

You can have the next one. ;)

Paul

Norman Pyles
01-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Looks new from here.:cool: