PDA

View Full Version : Freight Shippers

Keith Starosta
02-26-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm trying to sell my Delta radial arm saw, and had someone ask me how much it would cost to ship to a specific zip code. After determing the weight of the saw, I went to all three of the major shippers websites (FedEx, UPS, and USPS) to determine the cost. Come to find out, at just about 190 lbs., the saw exceeds the shipping weight for residential delivery for all three companies. Does anyone have a suggestion as to who I might be able to use to ship this saw from Central VA?

Thanks!

Keith

Dick Parr
02-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Take a look in your yellow pages to see which freight lines are in your area and then call them. You will more then likely have to deliver to there terminal, but that will be the cheapest way to go.

Arvin Brown
02-26-2004, 12:55 PM
This is what they call in the shipping industry "LTL" (less than a load). Try Yellow Freight, ABF and Overnight are a few of the larger ones. I have a buddy that just shipped a 4'x4'x5' 500 lb load from Atlanta to Green Bay for $190.

Carl Eyman
02-26-2004, 1:19 PM
I had good luck with an outfit called "Crate and Freight". Their business is what the name says, though I crated the piece myself. Not cheap. They have offices around the country and, I suppose have competitors also. I found them thru classified ads. I think the category is freight forwarders.

Ken Garlock
02-26-2004, 2:23 PM
Hi Keith. I have two experiences with "motor freight" shipments.

1) I bought a heavy duty hydraulic lift table from Northern Tool. The beast was over 300 libs. It was shipped by Yellow Freight, and I elected to pick it up at the Dallas terminal.

2) I bought an Ingersoll Rand 5 hp compressor through Northern Tool, but it was shipped from the factory. In this case the shipping was via FedEx Ground. They delivered it to the door with a lift-gate truck and pallet jack.

I was impressed with the FedEx service; however I must say that the Yellow Freight people were friendly and easy to deal with.

Based upon my limited experience, I would try FedEx first and Yellow Freight second.

Jamie Buxton
02-26-2004, 2:50 PM
The crate-and-freight companies are a nice service. They pick up your load at your house, crate it, ship it via common carrier truck, pick up the crate at the other end, take it to your customer's house, and uncrate it. The problem is that all that service costs money -- perhaps more than you'll get for the saw.
I ship furniture using Freightpro (freightpro.com). I build the crate. I generally take it to the common carrier's dock, and arrange for delivery to the customer's address. The customer does the uncrating. This approach costs quite a bit less than the crate-and-freight approach.

Todd Burch
02-26-2004, 8:26 PM
When I bought the bubinga slabs (~450-500 lbs)from the mill in Ontario, I called Freightquote.com, set up an account, and the fee was $329 to deliver to the Roadway terminal closest to my house. If I would have had it delivered to my door, it would have cost another $150.

Jerry Stringer
02-27-2004, 1:55 AM
When I owned a taxidermy shop and had to ship mounted deer heads I found that the cheapest way to ship was . . . believe it or not . . . the bus lines! They averaged about half of what UPS and Fedex charged.

Good luck.

Jerry