PDA

View Full Version : Not Exactly Woodworking but related

Robert foster
01-04-2008, 9:49 PM
What do you do with all the styrofoam that comes with the Large tools? I don't have trash pickup, recycle all we can and burn the rest but I don't really want to pollute the atmosphere by burning it. Any ideas.

Bob

Jon Bonham
01-04-2008, 9:52 PM
I save it, break it up into smaller pieces and use it for packing material when I fleabay something.

mike holden
01-05-2008, 3:58 PM
Bob,
You could try using your leftover thinners to melt the stuff on a scrap board, let the thinners vaporize off then bury the board with the styrene plastic on it. there isnt much styrene to the foam, the thinners just breaks it down to plastic and air.
Just a thought, I throw mine out.

Nice thing is that a number of suppliers have switched to water soluble foams, usually grain based, that are fully biodegradeable.

Mike

skip coyne
01-05-2008, 4:18 PM
if you have freecyle or craigs list in your area offer free there

Ted Jay
01-05-2008, 6:08 PM
What do you do with all the styrofoam that comes with the Large tools? I don't have trash pickup, recycle all we can and burn the rest but I don't really want to pollute the atmosphere by burning it. Any ideas.

Bob

I'm assuming that you live in the country, probably on acreage, and you just might have a garden?
Take that styrofoam, break it into smaller pieces and the next time your tilling the garden throw it in, it does't degrade but it will "fluff" or aerate the soil for better drainage.
Couldn't hurt?