PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore WoodWorking Show

Ken Deckelman
01-04-2008, 9:12 PM
Started today...I went for about 3 hours to look around. No super deals to be had that I saw, but I did buy the new Fein MultiMaster tool I have been drooling over for years.

One notable thing to me was that Woodpecker's was not there! I love Incra stuff and always enjoy the demos.

Jim O'Dell
01-04-2008, 9:40 PM
Woodpeckers quit doing the shows after the '05 season, IIRC. Incra on the otherhand, had still been going. Just didn't get to see the Woodpecker lifts being hawked or sold (unless Incra was using them). Woodpecker started their weekly specials discounts via email club mailings. This weeks is 10% off making the PRL $242 and change. It is disappointing, but I understand their decision. But, I wouldn't have purchased the PRL if I hadn't seen it in action first. So I think they may lose some sales because of it.
But then the shows in general have dropped in quality and attendance over the last 5 years that I have known about them. I haven't been the last 2 years personally. The first 2 years I spent a good chunk of money. The 3rd, less than a hundred bucks. If I had gone this year it would have been for 1 item at about 40 bucks. Peachtree did me a favor with their 25% off sale at the end of the year, and factoring in the ticket and parking price I would have paid, I saved money and got the item I needed. I would love for the show to get back to what it was when I first went. I didn't know about the seminars (free ones) the first 2 years. I had items in mind that I wanted. The third time, I was low on available funds and spent some very enjoyable hours learning some basics from some very knowledgeable people. My favorite was Kelly Mehler.
Enough rambling. I answered your post in the first paragraph! :rolleyes: Jim.

Tom Godley
01-04-2008, 9:57 PM
I went to the show -- took a side trip to Hearne Hardwoods on the way down.

My hope was to see some of the larger tools that I need to purchase -- I very much wanted to see the MM16 - No MM at the show. I did get to see the Powermatic/ Jet - Delta - Steel City tools that I wanted to compare -- and thankfully the Laguna 16HD.

Also a nice selection of General International tools at the show.

Kreg had a nice display -- spent some time playing with the pocket hole set-ups.

It was worth the trip for me -- always buy some stuff that I do not need.

Good excuse to take Friday off :)

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Tom, you can see an MM16 in my shop just down the road. The only major noticeable difference between mine and the current version is mine is only 12" resaw height and 3.8hp. The current version sports 16" resaw and 4.8hp.