PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about vibrator/tumbler

Perry Holbrook
01-04-2008, 8:55 PM
I currently use a sandblaster to clean up metal parts that I use in making some of my boxes. This years designs look like I'm going to have a lot of smaller pieces that will be time consuming to manually sandblast.

I keep seeing these small (5 lb capacity) vibrator/tumblers at Harbor Freight and thinking they should automate this process for me, but I have no experience with using one. My question is will these clean up small steel parts, not tiny, to give a sandblast finish and what media would I use and how full do you fill it?

Thanks, Perry

Scott Shepherd
01-04-2008, 9:37 PM
It's been quite a few years since I've used one, and they were always the larger, industrial units. We used a variety of media- plastic that looked like a small polished stone, small stones, and steel shot that looked just like a flying saucer. It all depended on what the parts were made of and what level you were trying to achieve. We used to throw small intricate brass parts in there and when they came out they were polished. We've also used the stones to cut burrs off the edges and smooth them out on the edges. It gives a unique look on the various metals, but it does almost look like it's been sandblasted. Of course of the part has an inside corner and the stone won't fit, then it doesn't affect that area. Really depends what you're trying to tumble, what you want to achieve and what it looks like to start with.

Not sure how to tell you on the level to fill, since I haven't seen one of those. But on the doughnut shaped ones we used, they always seemed to have about 1/2 way up filled with stone. You'll also want water with an additive (prevents rusting and provides lubrication). It is a wet process, not dry. Might not use water any more. Last time I bought the media was about 10 years ago, and it seems there were some really good sources for selecting it on the internet. Do a search for vibratory tumbler media and see what comes up.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2008, 10:22 PM
Perry,

Never used them on steel...but I use them for polishing and cleaning the brass for my centerfire pistols and rifles. Works well and I use crushed walnut shells for the medium.

Paul Kunkel
01-04-2008, 10:48 PM
DON'T get the HF unit!:mad: My wife has one and you'll spend a fortune on drive belts/ O-rings nevermind the down time. We even tried large industrial rubberbands, with some success but ultimately gave up. I don't know if the highte priced machines are more reliable, but stay away from HF.