PDA

View Full Version : Lost my wood store in the storms....

Dave Fifield
01-04-2008, 8:47 PM
Darned wind!! Never seen anything like it. SWMBO and I tried to hold down my double-length car canopy (40' x 10'), that I used to store all my wood in, for a while in the storm this morning, but one massive gust of wind whipped the thing up into the air and smashed it down across my back yard. It was tied down to a metal structure that weighs over 1800lbs, and it dragged that clear across the yard!!

After it took off (narrowly missing impaling Caroline BTW!), we set-to trying rescue all my hardwoods and turning blanks. A lot of it got VERY wet and may be ruined, but with some help from two of my sons (one of whom had a power outage at work, so came home - just in time), we got all the "good" wood indoors to dry out. I gave up trying to save all my soft woods and plywood....they're too wet and muddy now....

NPDH:

http://www.woodust.com/damage.jpg

I really must get my "proper" workshop built soon......as soon as I can scrape the pennies together for it that is....

Hope you other west coasters all survived the wind/rain?!

Cheers,
Dave F.

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 8:57 PM
Ouch...sorry to hear about this loss, but more importantly, I'm glad your LOYL wasn't hurt...that would have been really terrible!

glenn bradley
01-04-2008, 9:23 PM
And they say we have no weather . . . . Sorry for the mishap and glad there was no personal or house/car damage. In the foothills where I live we get fierce Santa Ana's. A month after I moved in they took out my side gate and a section of fence. I hope your wood recovers. Not all of us get the luxury of drying our material . . twice ;-) Sorry, just trying for a bit of levity to raise your spirits.

Todd Burch
01-04-2008, 9:58 PM
I lived in San Jose for 4 years ('84-'88) and we never got wind like that. Wow!

Todd

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Dave....sorry for the loss! Glad the LOYL wasn't impaled! I heard this storm was bringing some really wicked winds. The weather guessers are saying in the mountains, upto 10' snow and wind gust from 150-200 mph. Serious stuff!

Dave Fifield
01-05-2008, 4:28 AM
Thanks for the sympathetic vibes guys! The good news is that all my hardwoods and turning blocks are saved and seem to have dried out nicely indoors. Bad news is that the softwoods and lots of fairly expensive plywood is soaked and will be no good for anything :(

My wife did actually get hit on the head by one of the poles as the thing took off - I didn't realize that she got hit at the time, I thought it had missed her. She was being brave and didn't tell me until I got back from work tonight! She has a good size bump and bruise on her forehead. I'm applying tea and sympathy! It's scary that it could have been much worse :eek:

I'm going to see if there's anything I can salvage tomorrow in the light, if it's not still raining.

My son pointed out later that the canopy flew up high enough and close enough to the house to knock the dual LNBF's off my Dish Network Dish Pro satellite antenna - the arm that holds the LNBF's is toast also. Time for a new dish tomorrow methinks!

Trees and fences were down everywhere, including a few panels at the rear of my yard, and a huge piece of tree that broke off at the fork of a neighbors tree and took down some cables, blocking one end of our street.

NPDH:

http://www.woodust.com/treedown.jpg

When I came home from work, this bit of tree was all cut up on the side of the road. It's soft pine, so not much good for bowls....but I'm going to take a looksee in the morning to see if there are any usable bits!

Cheers and stay dry,
Dave F.

Heather Thompson
01-05-2008, 8:17 AM
Dave,

Sorry about your loss and glad to hear that your wifes injury was not more serious. I have a suggestion, you may want to store some of your wood in that tent in the back yard, pretty impressive that it did not launch. :D

Heather

Chris Padilla
01-07-2008, 1:16 PM
Yep, purty darn windy here in "sunny" San Jose for sure!

I have a 15' x 22' blue tarp strung across a large section of my roof covering my skylights that are patiently waiting for dry weather so the roofers can install my new roof. I have the tarp nailed down well...it didn't go anywhere.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-07-2008, 7:39 PM
I glad neither of you were hurt. Structures can be replaced as can most wood.

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2008, 8:45 PM
Dave,

Glad that neither of you were hurt. Stuff, including wood can be replaced. Be safe my friend and keep your eyes pealed for any good turning stock. ;)

Dave Ray
01-07-2008, 9:36 PM
Dave, that plywood and antenna can be replaced, happy to hear your wife and yourself are OK.

Mike Cutler
01-08-2008, 8:44 AM
Wow!!
Those pictures look like the Norfolk area after the hurricane they had a few years back. Never would have expected pictures of a storm like that in Ca.

Glad eveyone is OK at your house .

Dan Hodkinson
01-09-2008, 9:45 AM
The main thing is, every one is OK. We been having that dang wind here in Eastern Oregon. Just wont let up.
Good Luck Dave