View Full Version : Simple Mesquite Cup

Mike A. Smith
01-04-2008, 8:09 PM
Having some low friends in high places; I was able to get a piece of mesquite smuggled out of Texas. It was a small one, so no one got hurt this time. It was dry as a bone and turned like a dream! I can understand why they keep it to themselves and just use the excess to fire their Pagan burnt offerings.

3 3/4 x 3 1/4 and 3/16 thick. Antique oil and wax, a few hairline cracks on the back. I may take this to the office for a pencil holder.

Robert McGowen
01-04-2008, 8:20 PM
Very nice shape. Pleasing to the eye. I can't decide if I want to make something similar with the mesquite I have or just keep smoking that brisket with it? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2008, 8:35 PM
Mike - nice 'pencil holder'!!! Can't believe the fantastic color of the wood! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2008, 8:40 PM
Great looking piece Mike. Gotta love turning mesquite.

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:03 PM
Wonderful piece!!!

Allen Neighbors
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Duck! (Gloat on the way....) I've burned close to a ton of it already this winter (large fireplace and pot-bellied stove). Mailed out 4 or 5 flat rate boxes full so far since fall. Got some dryin' and some on fire, right now. :D
That's a gorgeous turning. That gives me an idea for some utility drinking cups. If I ever get through the computer problems I'm having, I might get back into the shop. You know?... if you do craft shows... having a drink in one of these would really draw attention... I think.
Good job on this one! It's mouth is open... can you hear that??? It's calling... calling... "..hold me... hold me..." Thanks for posting it.

Ben Gastfriend
01-05-2008, 7:27 AM
Wow! Thats a really nice pencil holder. Sure you'll be getting lots of compliments at work. I wish there was some of that mesquite up here in PA!

Paul Heely
01-05-2008, 7:47 AM
Nice looking piece Mike. Should look great on your desk.

Robert, send me some of each (wood and brisket) and I'll help you decide :D

Tom Sherman
01-06-2008, 9:28 AM
A very nice cup Mike. You should make more of those with what ever wood you have.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I need you to know that as a true blue Texan, I must report you to the mesquite police:cool: the price on your head will make you a fugitive from the law for sure.:eek: Too bad to, that is one beautiful cup. Smuggling our state treasures...won't you guys ever learn?:mad: Great Job Mike!!:D

Richard Madison
01-06-2008, 9:32 PM
Very pretty indeed! Makes me want to send him some more, along with a tube of thin CA for those tiny cracks that we are accustomed to. Oops, probably can not mail CA. Recently sent a few pen blanks in cheapest envelope to a friend in Spain. Must check how much the small flat rate boxes cost when sent locally (in USA). They could hold one fairly nice little bowl blank. Just some thoughts.