PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Customer Service

Mike Marcade
01-04-2008, 4:05 PM
There I am assembling my new G0490 jointer and having a wonderful time. I have aligned everything within a couple of thousandths of an inch and I am in the best of spirits.

I am getting very close to completion and after aligning the fence carriage I cleaned the cosmoline off of the fence in order to assemble that. I hand thread the 12.9 socket head cap screws which hold the fence mechanism to the carriage (good so far), then I start to tighten them with the supplied allen wrench.

I tighten both screws a bit at a time to ensure a nice even load on the screws. I get the right one nice and tight then move on to the left one. It is getting pretty tight and then crackkkkk! :mad:

Soooo ... next I call up Grizzly tech support and they were very helpful in getting the correct part ordered with one caviat .... the part is on backorder. They are expecting them in March. They are trying to expedite it but that is quite a long time and I'm not a happy camper. GRRRRRR!

Sorry guys I just had to vent.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-04-2008, 4:10 PM
Anyone else see the irony in Mike's sig line?

Lee Koepke
01-04-2008, 4:11 PM
ha thats pretty mean:D

Mike Marcade
01-04-2008, 4:14 PM

Come on now, its a defective part. I checked the torque I could exert with the allen key and it was only like 5 ft-lbs. Way less than should strip an M10 12.9 bolt or crack a solid casting.

Chuck Wintle
01-04-2008, 4:20 PM
Come on now, its a defective part. I checked the torque I could exert with the allen key and it was only like 5 ft-lbs. Way less than should strip an M10 12.9 bolt or crack a solid casting.

Mike,
The way I see it is stuff happens in spite the best precautions taken. Can you still use the jointer the way it is? :)

Rob Bodenschatz
01-04-2008, 4:21 PM

I wasn't talking about the mechanical engineer part. :cool:

Scott Velie
01-04-2008, 4:21 PM
An engineer actually turning a wrench. That is a good thing.

Were it me, that bolt would be on its way next day air from somewhere !

Scott

Tom Kelley
01-04-2008, 4:42 PM
Rats! I was planning on ordering the G0452. Back to the drawing board.

Mike Marcade
01-04-2008, 4:46 PM
An engineer actually turning a wrench. That is a good thing.

Were it me, that bolt would be on its way next day air from somewhere !

Scott

Sorry, it's not the bolt. Its the carriage casting that the fence is attached to. Part #7 in the attached pic.

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 4:50 PM
Our machinist here at the day job has a humorous expression in regards to engineers... to paraphrase for a family forum "I've never met en engineer whose first name doesn't start with effin".;):D:rolleyes:
Mike is right though, a grade 12.9 bolt should not break with the dinky toy allen keys that are delivered with tools. The wrench should bend before the bolt breaks... CI is brittle to impacts but shouldn't crack from a bolt being tightened as described. An M10 bolt, in 12.9 should withstand 64 ft/lbs if it's the standard untreated (black) variety which I'm sure it is from the big bear.

Greg

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 4:56 PM
Mike,
In that case, I'd say the casting wasn't up to snuff. The again I believe you already proved that......:rolleyes:
Grizz will make it right, but the wait is what it is..... inconvenient & frustrating. A touch of JB weld (can't belive I'm saying it) might get you by... worth a try since it's already been examined for "structural integrity".
Or bring the parts to a machine shop and see if they can't put on a cheap band-aid fix to get you through?

Greg

Mikail Khan
01-04-2008, 5:01 PM

Mike from your profile I see that your hobbies are

Powerlifting, Woodworking, Cars

:D:D:D

Is there any way you can get a low cost repair done at a local machine shop?

Mike Marcade
01-04-2008, 5:02 PM
Mike,
In that case, I'd say the casting wasn't up to snuff. The again I believe you already proved that......:rolleyes:
Grizz will make it right, but the wait is what it is..... inconvenient & frustrating. A touch of JB weld (can't belive I'm saying it) might get you by... worth a try since it's already been examined for "structural integrity".
Or bring the parts to a machine shop and see if they can't put on a cheap band-aid fix to get you through?

Greg

I agree with your analysis Greg. In regards to the machine shop, I will probably just wait on Grizzly, I'm sure I can find something to do in the meantime. ;) Maybe Shiraz can pop in here and make me feel better about it.

By the way, thanks for all the kind words of encouragement guys. :p

Shiraz Balolia
01-04-2008, 5:44 PM
. ;) Maybe Shiraz can pop in here and make me feel better about it.

Nah! I'm just going to make you feel bad about it, Mr Powerlifter Engineer! :D:D:D

I have the parts manager working on this to see if we cannot get the part to you a little faster. You will get a call from him or someone, if not today, on Monday. Have a nice weekend.

Randy Davidson
01-04-2008, 5:49 PM
Nah! I'm just going to make you feel bad about it, Mr Powerlifter Engineer! :D:D:D

I have the parts manager working on this to see if we cannot get the part to you a little faster. You will get a call from him or someone, if not today, on Monday. Have a nice weekend.

Wow, how's that for customer service.

Don Abele
01-04-2008, 5:56 PM
Randy, you beat me to it!

I'll also add that even though Shiraz didn't get involved in my need for customer service recently, it was handled excellently.

I purchased the Shop Fox moulder and somehow ordered two :eek: When they were delivered I immediately called Grizzly who said I'd have to pay return shipping plus a restock fee for my mistake. When I asked if there was anything they could do to help lessen the "ouch" from a legitimate mistake, they waived the restock fee (about $120).

Needless to say, that made me a very happy customer.

Be well,

Doc

Shawn Walker
01-04-2008, 6:01 PM

It's not a perfect world.... But I would say that's pretty good customer service.
Cheers Shawn. :D

Wade Lippman
01-04-2008, 6:19 PM
Well, at least you can replace it. I broke a bolt on my Oneida Cyclone and the head is welded in; so there isn't a darn thing I can do about it.

They assured me the other 5 were more than adequate, and after 6 months it seems to be okay; but still.... Aaargghhh

Roy Hatch
01-04-2008, 6:22 PM
Methinks Grizzly will soon have a jointer missing a certain part and Mike will have what he needs.;)

Roy

Steve Rowe
01-04-2008, 6:29 PM
I agree with Lee, that is pretty mean. Lets see if Grizzly can beat my most recent Dell CS experience. Ordered XPS One last Friday shortly after noon. XPS One delivered the next Monday at 1221 PM. The promised delivery was Jan 8 and I didn't even place my order with Michael Dell. Let's see if Shiraz can beat that.:D Look forward to Mikes' report.
Steve

Shiraz Balolia
01-04-2008, 6:44 PM
I agree with Lee, that is pretty mean. Lets see if Grizzly can beat my most recent Dell CS experience. Ordered XPS One last Friday shortly after noon. XPS One delivered the next Monday at 1221 PM. The promised delivery was Jan 8 and I didn't even place my order with Michael Dell. Let's see if Shiraz can beat that.:D Look forward to Mikes' report.
Steve

Care to wager? I need some extra cash for the weekend!

Wait, before you throw some cash at me, manager just reported to me and part is now on the UPS truck. The truck was loading at our MO plant (where our 30,000 sq ft parts facility resides) and they were able to get one picked and packed. I don't ask "how" - I have good people!

Lee Koepke
01-04-2008, 7:35 PM

Wait, before you throw some cash at me, manager just reported to me and part is now on the UPS truck. The truck was loading at our MO plant (where our 30,000 sq ft parts facility resides) and they were able to get one picked and packed. I don't ask "how" - I have good people!
.........off topic ....... but I REALLY like the 1023sl I just got from you ... Thanks.

John Shuk
01-04-2008, 8:01 PM
Kudos Shiraz!

Thomas Knighton
01-04-2008, 8:08 PM

:eek:

Now THAT is taking care of business! That's definitely going to be factored into my future tool decisions :D

Tom

Keith Starosta
01-04-2008, 8:20 PM
:eek:

Now THAT is taking care of business! That's definitely going to be factored into my future tool decisions :D

Tom

Abso-freaking-lutely!!! I showed my wife this thread, then explained who Shiraz was. Her response can't be repeated on this family forum. ;)

Good for you, Shiraz. And good for Mike!!!

- Keith

Steve Rowe
01-04-2008, 8:39 PM

Cool! Good job. I guess this means Mike will have his part delivered by 3:05 PM Monday?:D:D:D Just kidding.
Steve

Mike Marcade
01-04-2008, 9:26 PM

Thanks a MILLION Shiraz! You da man! I just new big green wouldn't let me down! I will be sure to tell at least 9 of my friends about my great experience with Grizzly Industrial. :D:D:D

Chris Barnett
01-04-2008, 9:51 PM
Above is part of the reason I have purchased my last two large power tools from Griz, with my eyes now set on the 454Z. Must wait a few days until bank account recovers from Christmas activities :D. As a metallurgist, he knows what is adequate from a materials strength standpoint and what is not. Just hope sufficient quality controls are in place in materials sourcing from the mainland.

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2008, 7:13 AM
You just told 1100!;):cool:

Paul Greathouse
01-05-2008, 8:35 AM
Great Job Shiraz, keep up the great customer service.

Now, for Rob's little jab at Dell's customer service, I think most of you missed his point completely. I bought a Dell had some problems called customer service and spoke to 3 different people including a supervisor.

They all had the same things in common:
They spoke very poor english.
They spoke too fast.
They got easily aggravated when I didn't understand their poor english.
They were hard headed & aragont.
They didn't resolve my problem completely and didn't seem to care.

I am not computer illiterate, I spend the majority of my day on a computer at my day job. My company has a great IT group so we don't have to deal with Dell for computer problems at work.

I will never buy another Dell computer as long as their customer service is handled at its current point of origin. Lastly, I have found a local guy that handles all my computer problems.

Mike, please, if you have any influence whatsoever with the higher ups in your company please pass my experience along to them. I have not been successful at speaking to anyone state-side about my problem with their choice for Dell's customer service location.

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 8:47 AM

I will never buy another Dell computer as long as their customer service is handled at its current point of origin. Lastly, I have found a local guy that handles all my computer problems.

Mike, please, if you have any influence whatsoever with the higher ups in your company please pass my experience along to them. I have not been successful at speaking to anyone state-side about my problem with their choice for Dell's customer service location.
Paul,
Supposedly Dell has returned some customer service to the US following a great number of complaints about the level of service from the gang offshore. Personally I would never buy a Dell either because there are so many good independent small computer stores that can perform the service better. And the price is not that much different.

Mike Marcade
01-05-2008, 9:24 AM

I have heard stories like yours too many times Paul. I have voiced the opinion that many people are unhappy with the overseas support that we currently have to many superiors including those just below Michael himself. I usually tell people to try to call very late at night (midnight or later) and you can generally get a support person in the US. Dell is actually pulling back many of the operations from India back to the US so in the future you may have better luck getting US support.

The biggest problem in the PC support game is that once one competiter goes with overseas support noone else can afford to keep it in the US and stay cost competitive.

Honestly I would be happy if everything moved back over here, manufacturing included.

Rob Bodenschatz
01-05-2008, 9:56 AM
Mike, I meant no ill will to you personally. The irony of the thing just struck me. I do realize that as an engineer, the poor customer service over there at Dell must bother you as well.

Anyway, glad to hear that it appears that papa is taking care of your issue. However, I do have a problem with this. Why does it need to get this far for an issue to get resolved? Why does the president of the company need to find out about this via a forum? Why couldn't the customer support dept make this happen before it came to this? Shiraz, I'm a big fan of your company and you guys are certainly doing things right. Better than most. However, this is not the first time I've heard of a problem of this nature. Maybe there is some hole in the process that is allowing this to occur. I do realize that I wasn't there for the support call and maybe Mike just accepted the delay without complaint. If that's the case, I take back what I just wrote. However, if Mike did express dissatisfaction with the delay during the call, I would think that Grizzly would make every attempt at that time to make him happy. Even if that requires escalation. Let's face it, if Mike didn't know these forums existed, he would probably end up never buying Grizzly again.

Again I must say, from what I hear, Grizzly IS doing it much better than most. I guess I would just like you to be perfect. :D

Mike Marcade
01-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Thats all good Rob. No ill will taken. I must comment that I did express some dissatisfaction to the customer service tech on the phone but I did not try to escalate up the chain. I figured I would give them a chance since the tech was trying to expedite for me. I just thought I would put a note in here in parallel since I knew that Shiraz posted here from time to time.

Mike Marcade
01-05-2008, 10:49 AM
I just got word from UPS that I will have my new fence carriage on Tuesday January 8th (which also happens to be my birthday) WOOHOOO!

Thanks again Shiraz!!! :):):)

Bill Lantry
01-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Since someone grabbed this thread already, here is the most amusing tech support video ever made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU56U87nf4w

or, just go to youtube and type in Neurotically Yours tech support... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Al Killian
01-05-2008, 11:05 AM

Now, for Rob's little jab at Dell's customer service, I think most of you missed his point completely. I bought a Dell had some problems called customer service and spoke to 3 different people including a supervisor.

They all had the same things in common:
They spoke very poor english.
They spoke too fast.
They got easily aggravated when I didn't understand their poor english.
They were hard headed & aragont.
They didn't resolve my problem completely and didn't seem to care.

You forgot to add that each time thety pawn you off to someone knew they have to start all over.:confused: First they have you reboot the system( as if that helpeed the last 20 times)..................

M Toupin
01-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Anyway, glad to hear that it appears that papa is taking care of your issue. However, I do have a problem with this. Why does it need to get this far for an issue to get resolved? Why does the president of the company need to find out about this via a forum? Why couldn't the customer support dept make this happen before it came to this?

While I applaud Shiraz for getting personally involved, I would hope Griz, like virtually every manufacturing company, has a standard procedure of obtaining replacement parts from shelf stock. In the event the parts aren't in the shelf then the part is back ordered for the customer. Can we really expect every manufacturer to have every single part in stock 100% of the time? I think that's a bit unrealistic, especially when we're talking a company the size of Griz with 10's of 1000's of individual replacement parts. Maybe the deeper problem is in this day and age of instant gratification we have unrealistic expectations?

I would seriously hope that Griz doesn't have a standard policy of striping machines for back ordered parts and then replacing those stripped parts when the back ordered stuff arrives. I for one would be extremely disappointed to find that's the policy, much less to be the recipient of a "parts machine".

Mike

Rob Bodenschatz
01-05-2008, 12:15 PM
While I applaud Shiraz for getting personally involved, I would hope Griz, like virtually every manufacturing company, has a standard procedure of obtaining replacement parts from shelf stock. In the event the parts aren't in the shelf then the part is back ordered for the customer. Can we really expect every manufacturer to have every single part in stock 100% of the time? I think that's a bit unrealistic, especially when we're talking a company the size of Griz with 10's of 1000's of individual replacement parts. Maybe the deeper problem is in this day and age of instant gratification we have unrealistic expectations?

I would seriously hope that Griz doesn't have a standard policy of striping machines for back ordered parts and then replacing those stripped parts when the back ordered stuff arrives. I for one would be extremely disappointed to find that's the policy, much less to be the recipient of a "parts machine".

Mike

I don't disagree. However, I do have a problem with the "instant gratification" and "unrealistic expectations" part. That does not apply here. Mike bought a tool that he expected to work. If it doesn't, he should not be expected to wait 2-3 months to be able to get it working. If a company can't send out a replacement for defective part on a new machine immediately, they should send out a replacement machine. It is unreasonable to expect a customer to wait 2-3 months to use a product they just bought. I don't think anyone would accept that.

Shiraz Balolia
01-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Damned if you do and damned if you don't! There will always be naysayers and negative thinkers.

What gave you the idea that we "stripped" a machine and sent a part from another machine. We have over 100,000 different parts and several million parts in stock. Just browse through our 700 page catalog and look at the number of machines we sell. Then go to our web site and browse through the manuals and look at the exploded drawings to see the number of parts. It is unrealistic to expect every part for every machine to be in stock at all times. We do try our best, though. Sometimes, we have whole assemblies in stock and not just a particular part. If the machine was indeed unusable, we would not expect a customer to wait 2 months to use it. Mike did not say the machine was unusable and if it was, and HE was fine waiting for the part, why are some of you getting worked up over it? The point here is that we took care of the problem and the customer, Mike, is happy!

Dan Lautner
01-05-2008, 12:40 PM
"Now THAT is taking care of business! That's definitely going to be factored into my future tool decisions "

It would be nice if Grizzly would have "taken care of business" without him having to post here.

Dan

Steve Rowe
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Damned if you do and damned if you don't! There will always be naysayers and negative thinkers.

What gave you the idea that we "stripped" a machine and sent a part from another machine. We have over 100,000 different parts and several million parts in stock. Just browse through our 700 page catalog and look at the number of machines we sell. Then go to our web site and browse through the manuals and look at the exploded drawings to see the number of parts. It is unrealistic to expect every part for every machine to be in stock at all times. We do try our best, though. Sometimes, we have whole assemblies in stock and not just a particular part. If the machine was indeed unusable, we would not expect a customer to wait 2 months to use it. Mike did not say the machine was unusable and if it was, and HE was fine waiting for the part, why are some of you getting worked up over it? The point here is that we took care of the problem and the customer, Mike, is happy!
Shiraz, just remember - No good deed goes unpunished.:D
Good job
Steve

Sean Kinn
01-05-2008, 1:02 PM

Mike

Geez man, relax. If no part was available on the shelf I would say they went above and beyond if they stripped it off of a complete machine on the shelf. Think about it.....they just created a $1000 (or more) pile of metal that is now taking up space on their shelves that they now can't sell until they get the part themselves (if this is what they did). They also prevented another sale by taking a unit out of inventory to satisfy a current customer. I'm not sure what your fear of a "parts machine" is. In any industry that deals with complex machines with many parts (cars, boats, industrial equipment, you name it) parts are often replaced and swapped out on "new" units before they ever make it to the customer.

Way to go Shiraz, with these sorts of things you are earning tons of business for your company.

Keith Starosta
01-05-2008, 1:03 PM
"Now THAT is taking care of business! That's definitely going to be factored into my future tool decisions "

It would be nice if Grizzly would have "taken care of business" without him having to post here.

Dan

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unreal.

Again, good work, Mr. Balolia. Keep it up.

- Keith

Dave Dye
01-05-2008, 1:37 PM
Three reasons I buy all of my equipment from Grizzly. 1) I live 20 minutes from the Muncy store 2) Customer Service 3) I personnally love the equipment. Keep up the good work Mr. Balolia.

Brian Kent
01-05-2008, 1:53 PM
I really appreciate Grizzly customer service. They have time and again proven themselves. Their equipment is very good and is beginning to get "best tool" ratings, not just "best value". I have bought several great tools and I am planning to buy a big bandsaw soon.

The fact that the president also steps in truly awesome.

With that affirmation, I think I am done reading this particular thread. Great job, Shiraz!

FRITZ STOOP
01-05-2008, 1:56 PM
With Grizzly's CS such as this, and Grizzly lacking that high-end, EURO-touch line, you should purchase Laguna. All it lacks is decent CS and you'd be right in the stratosphere with MM, Felder and the rest.

Phil Thien
01-05-2008, 2:00 PM

Dan

Maybe in a perfect world. But what I witnessed was a fine-tuned positive-feedback system at work. It didn't take much work to get the attention of the big cheese and get the problem solved.

Try posting a message with the subject, "To the president of Delta tools" and see how long it takes for a response.

John Shuk
01-05-2008, 2:25 PM

Dan

Actually Shiraz using these forums isn't much different than a store owner taking a stroll through his store and solving problems on the spot.
There are alot of anecdotes where Grizzly has taken care of bigger problems than this without Shiraz's intervention. I respect the way he does business bigtime.

Glenn Clabo
01-05-2008, 3:12 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Unreal.

Again, good work, Mr. Balolia. Keep it up.

- Keith

What Keith said!

Tim Marks
01-05-2008, 3:13 PM
Then go to our web site and browse through the manuals and look at the exploded drawings to see the number of parts.
One thing I love about the Girzzly website is that alot of their machinery pages have exploded drawings that you can shop from. I needed a new switch and plastic front cover for my 20" drillpress. 2 minutes later I found them and ordered them, three days later they were at my door step. And they were dirt cheap, $1.25 for the big plastic front cover, and $4.25 for the paddle switch. (BTW, this was the DP that I bought when I happened to mention on this forum that this was almost the only DP not on sale that summer... Shiraz jumped in and knocked $50 off just for me... Do you wonder why I am a fan?)

Which pretty much is the story EVERY TIME I have ordered from Grizzly whether it was replacement parts or new machinery (uhh, good service, not Shiraz's price breaks).

Shiraz "doesn't have to get involved" to make things happen; it usually just happens and there are millions of happy customers who never post here of their experiences.

All of a sudden one guy posts that he has problems, Shiraz fixes the problem almost overnight (amazing!), and people are questioning why his CS is poor? What more do you want? Dancing girls on your doorstep?

Tim Marks
01-05-2008, 3:14 PM
Grizzly ... should purchase Laguna.

Why? They already have a couple BS that are as good as or better...:D:D:D:D:D

Lance Norris
01-05-2008, 3:21 PM
I had a question for Shiraz about the Grizzly planer I was thinking about purchasing and he answered in less than a day. This was simply a question, not a customer service problem.

Try posting a message with the subject, "To the president of Delta tools" and see how long it takes for a response.

Dave Lindgren
01-05-2008, 4:05 PM
Gee, I sure would like to be able to comment on how good Griz' customer service is, but the 1023 Ive had for the last 20+ years has never needed any. Just now getting it set up after a move back to the mainland from Hawaii, and looking forward to another 20 years of use. If I live that long :cool:

Rick Levine
01-05-2008, 4:35 PM
I purchased the Shop Fox moulder and somehow ordered two :eek: When they were delivered I immediately called Grizzly who said I'd have to pay return shipping plus a restock fee for my mistake. When I asked if there was anything they could do to help lessen the "ouch" from a legitimate mistake, they waived the restock fee (about $120).Doc

That's funny, Grizzly wouldn't waive the restocking fee for an order I made by mistake and it was only about $5. I guess you have more clout.:(

FRITZ STOOP
01-05-2008, 4:54 PM
I am certain Shiraz appreciates your enthusiasm, but I don't think the large bear is quite there yet.

I will say, the difference between the Prez coming to the rescue in a public form and not being able to get a call back from Gaguna could be measured in light years. That is pretty impressive!

Bill Lantry
01-05-2008, 5:13 PM
Anyone who has ever had to actually run something knows you need two things: Good processes and good people. Grizzly has both. But you also need a kind of ombudsman, since no process and no person is perfect. This is called management by exception. Some people call it management by walking around. The idea that the president of the company would take the time to be ombudsman makes such a company exceptional.

There's a reason half the tools in my shop are green: good quality/price ratio, excellent customer service, and when I couldn't decide which guitar making kit to buy for my son, I messaged the president of the company, and he wrote me back that very day with his recommendations. He earned my business that day, and believe me, before I make any major tool purchase, I check his company's catalog. In fact, I'm about to order another guitar kit for another son. No other major tool company does things as well as grizzly...

Thanks,

Bill

Rob Blaustein
01-05-2008, 6:47 PM
Interesting thread. I have 3 major Grizz tools (though haven't uncrated one yet) and have been very happy with the tools and their CS when I've needed it. I think there are companies that just 'get it' from a customer service/buying experience perspective. Grizz is clearly one and my sense is that it generally comes from the top (witness Shiraz's continual involvement here). My guess is that Laguna doesn't but I'm only speaking from reading posts here. Another company that 'gets it' big time is Amazon--apparently this is an obsession of Jeff Bezos's. There is an interesting article in today's NY Times about Amazon and Bezos that makes that point strongly. You can see it here (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/technology/05nocera.html?_r=1&oref=slogin).

Don Abele
01-05-2008, 7:14 PM
That's funny, Grizzly wouldn't waive the restocking fee for an order I made by mistake and it was only about $5. I guess you have more clout.:(

No, I just begged a lot. :)

Be well,

Doc