PDA

View Full Version : Newbie sanding question

Nathan Hawkes
01-04-2008, 3:10 PM
I've seen a couple videos where the turner featured has used naptha or some other solvent to show the grain when sanding to check for evenness; I don't like the idea of using either mineral spirits or naptha when I don't have to. I have an unheated shed, and keeping the doors closed is a huge benefit to the temp. inside. My question is this; does denatured alcohol work for the same purpose without raising the grain, or is that a tradeoff to the less-toxic fumes? I know both are flammable, but I'd rather breathe denatured alcohol vapor than naptha or mineral spirits. I do wear a respirator, but I'm just trying to be careful. Thanks for the help.

Dennis Peacock
01-04-2008, 4:28 PM
DNA will do the same thing. It's just primarily a wetting agent to show what the wood will or could look like under a finish.

Mike A. Smith
01-04-2008, 7:51 PM
Heck, water will do the same thing, it just takes longer to dry.

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:06 PM
I use the low-odor mineral spirits for this task. DNA is much more bothering to me from an odor and fume standpoint than mineral spirits...even the non-low-odor type! It also doesn't flash off quite as fast as DNA. I not only use it to see figure, but also to clean between grits to avoid scratches from stray grit knocked from the abrasive paper.

robert hainstock
01-05-2008, 8:59 AM
I never use a wetting agent to show the grain any more. When I did I have used all the methods mentioned. Water will raise the grain. This can be good or bad depending. The raised grain being resanded will help the smoothing process. :confused::confused:
Bob