PDA

View Full Version : DJ-20 pulley alignment ?

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 2:47 PM
I have a never used 20 year old DJ 20. I finished putting it on it's mobile base and came to pulley alignment. My motor pulley has a flat face on one side and the other side has a nose projection where the set screw is. From the factory it came with the flat side facing the motor. I can not get it within 2" of parallel with the upper pulley this way. I turned it around with the flat face, facing out from the motor. Problem is, the motor shaft is inset 1/8" from the pulley's face. Am I missing something here? Was the original way the pulley was mounted from the factory correct, or does it not make a difference? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Jim
How I came about my NOS DJ 20 and PM66 is posted here. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71986 Pics on page two before they where cleaned up. They still had the cosmolene on them and the jointer was still in the factory shipping crate. A bonus of a wood lathe was included, all for $2150.00:cool:

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 3:03 PM
According the manual flat toward motor (#148 see drawing). Let me know fi you want me to check mine (actual) I can do it in a bit when I go out...it's currently in my garage waiting relocation to my shop.

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 3:07 PM
That would be great if you could George. Thank you for the reply! I am worried about all the mass of the pulley being on the end of the motor shaft. But, I am at a loss as how to align it with the original position as I can only get it within 1 3/4" of being parallel of the upper pulley. It is mounted on the factory base.
Jim

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 3:08 PM
That would be great if you could George. Thank you for the reply!
Jim Be about an hour...gotta run for a haircut!

CPeter James
01-04-2008, 3:38 PM
I have DJ20 and have investigated two others and ALL had the motor mount BACKWARDS. It is almost but not quite symmetrical. The pulley needs to be hard up against the motor with the nose sticking out. Any other way and the pulley will end up shaking on the shaft and ruin both the pulley and shaft. I have seen this happen. Check out the motor mount and when it is installed correctly everything should line up. They were installed wrong at the factory. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

CPeter

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 4:19 PM
I have DJ20 and have investigated two others and ALL had the motor mount BACKWARDS. It is almost but not quite symmetrical. The pulley needs to be hard up against the motor with the nose sticking out. Any other way and the pulley will end up shaking on the shaft and ruin both the pulley and shaft. I have seen this happen. Check out the motor mount and when it is installed correctly everything should line up. They were installed wrong at the factory. If I can be of any more help, let me know.

CPeter
Peter,I'm not quite sure I get what you are saying about the motor mounted backwards. The motor's base plate is permanently afixed to it. Are you referring to the two crossbars? Excuse my ignorance. There are two corss bars that allow left/right movement and the base itself for up/down. To some degree the two cross bars allow up/down also. On mine the motor capacitor is facing the away from the dust chute.
Jim

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 4:37 PM
Yep, flat side in. Just checked.

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 4:41 PM
Yep, flat side in. Just checked.

OK, guess I'll take a trip into the shop and put it back the way it is supposed to be. Peter mentioned the mounts being backward and for some reason;probably Grey hair syndrome:o I can not quite envision what he is saying, although it does make sense and I seemed to remember reading that somewhere. I'll let you guy's know my outcome.
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
Jim

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 4:43 PM
OK, guess I'll take a trip into the shop and put it back the way it is supposed to be. Peter mentioned the mounts being backward and for some reason;probably Grey hair syndrome:o I can not quite envision what he is saying, although it does make sense and I seemed to remember reading that somewhere. I'll let you guy's know my outcome.
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.
Jim Let me know if you need anything else.

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 4:47 PM
Let me know if you need anything else.

Ha ha, you may be sorry you said that,lol. I haven't even begun setting it up. I keep going between the PM 66 and the DJ 20>big mistake on my part. Work on one till it's done, then the other. Now if I can just take my own words of advice:D Thank you for your help George.
Jim

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 4:54 PM
Ha ha, you may be sorry you said that,lol. I haven't even begun setting it up. I keep going between the PM 66 and the DJ 20>big mistake on my part. Work on one till it's done, then the other. Now if I can just take my own words of advice:D Thank you for your help George.
Jim Sweet deal on the DJ and saw. I actually got a similar deal...3HP Unisaw exxtensions and Unifence and DJ-20 for $1,800 on craigslist. Ended up selling the Unisaw to my friend because my sister wants me to teach her how to woodwork, and insists on getting a new Saw Stop. She makes $300K a year as a graphic artist..and she saws she can't do it with 8 fingers. My sister is very talented and creative soI'm excited up setting up shop and building stuff with her. She took a WW class a few years ago...but never started building her design because she was afraid of the saw. Hopefully the Saw Stop will allow her to get past it.

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 5:38 PM
That would be great. It's always nice to have a partner in crime err woodworking. That saw would be great for her. I don't know how many times the blade break continues to work after activated. I would show her a video on it's safety. Or maybe one hotdog. Fear can be paralyzing, but some fear/respect can be useful.
Jim

CPeter James
01-04-2008, 5:59 PM
The cross bars that the motor attaches to is what I am referring to.

CPeter

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 6:05 PM
That would be great. It's always nice to have a partner in crime err woodworking. That saw would be great for her. I don't know how many times the blade break continues to work after activated. I would show her a video on it's safety. Or maybe one hotdog. Fear can be paralyzing, but some fear/respect can be useful.
Jim One time use. Then needs to be replaced. I've shown her the video, and the costs, and she is getting one. So I can use the grand for the Unisaw other places. :D

Jim Solomon
01-04-2008, 7:51 PM
The cross bars that the motor attaches to is what I am referring to.

CPeter

Either I am blind or just plain dumb. I looked into the cabinet and thought that the crossbar's slots where equal distance. After your post I got out the flashlight and saw they where not. Not only that, had I really looked at my manual I would have seen the " L " shape of the crossbars where different then my setup. Sooooo, I reversed them and now everything is as it should be. Purrs like a kitten. After reversing the pulley the motor shaft now stands proud about 1/8". Feel better about that also. Thanks for your help Peter.
Jim