PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley lawsuit...

Malcolm Wheeler
01-04-2008, 2:20 PM
Interesting article about Lee Valley trying to keep costs low... suing Canada Post about alleged overcharging, the shipper in turn states that they are "comfortable" with their position.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/01/04/canadapost.html

Glenn Clabo
01-04-2008, 3:53 PM
I'm sorry...from one who uses Canada Post frequently...I think Lee was being too kind when he stated "...that Canada Post provides good service...".

Jay Kilpatrick
01-04-2008, 5:29 PM
Bet that title got your attention... Now, wasn't there a similar lawsuit in the USA (maybe within the last decade?) about a retailer ticking off a customer by keeping the change (IIRC, a penny; and I believe the customer in question gained much more than an exact refund).

Eric DeSilva
01-04-2008, 5:37 PM
Does this mean that all future packages from Lee Valley are likely to be accidentally dropped, repeatedly and from great heights, by Canada Post?

Scott Brihn
01-04-2008, 8:12 PM
This disagreement has been going on for some time now. I believe at one point Leonard Lee had a web site dedicated to this situation. Additionally he has taken out full page ads in at least one Canadian paper to raise public awareness of the issue.

Karl Laustrup
01-05-2008, 8:18 AM
Not being familiar with the ways of our northern neighbors, am I right in my thinking that "Canada Post" is the equivalent of the US Postal Service?

If not, what exactly is it?

Thanks.

Karl

Brodie Brickey
01-05-2008, 8:25 AM
You think that's bad. Consider that you can use the click & ship option with USPS only if you want to process Express & Priority mail. No 1st class, no parcel post. So if its convenient, you or your customer has to pay more.

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 8:48 AM
Does this mean that all future packages from Lee Valley are likely to be accidentally dropped, repeatedly and from great heights, by Canada Post?

Canada Post already provides that service. :D:D

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 8:50 AM
Not being familiar with the ways of our northern neighbors, am I right in my thinking that "Canada Post" is the equivalent of the US Postal Service?

If not, what exactly is it?

Thanks.

Karl

Karl,
You are correct with that statement. Canada Post is the equivalent of the US Postal Service in Canada.

Joe Chritz
01-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Is the shipping industry socialized in Canada and fully government run?

Normally when someone over charges in a business someone else starts a competitive business and charges a bit less.

Unless the post is the only service available because of some restriction then I have a hard time feeling bad for them, even if it costs me more. Free market and all that jazz.

If I don't like what little Johnny charges to cut my grass I will go to his friend and have him do it.

Joe

Edit: Just to add that is assuming the prices are well laid out and it isn't some under the blanket scam after the fact.

Bill Lantry
01-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Who *is* this guy? I like the tools they make, but geez...

First he's complaining about his workers, then he's cursing the government, then he's complaining about some holiday, now he's suing the postal service... what next?

He either needs to take some valium or go on vacation. He's starting to ruin his company's good reputation. Now, where did I put that highland hardware catalog? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Wade Lippman
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
You think that's bad. Consider that you can use the click & ship option with USPS only if you want to process Express & Priority mail. No 1st class, no parcel post. So if its convenient, you or your customer has to pay more.

I can't use that service. One day my 30 pound dog smiled at the postal carrier. The little children in the neighborhood know she is begging to be pet, but the carrier made a note that she "bared her teeth" at him, so no more pickups for me!

John Terefenko
01-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Speaking of them keeping costs down I just received my order from them for a bunch of carbide plug cutters and on the box and the tool is the great big letters CHINA. :mad:

James Kuhn
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Let me see if I'm getting this straight. The postal service is a non-profit organisation. As of jan 2007 they started refunding money on over declarations. Lee has gotten 1 million in that refund in the past year. Now he is fighting for the refunds he could/should have recieved for over declarations in years 2000-2006. I'm not a Libertarian by any stretch of the imagination, but if that's the story, it sounds like a pretty fair request to me.

Chuck Wintle
01-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Speaking of them keeping costs down I just received my order from them for a bunch of carbide plug cutters and on the box and the tool is the great big letters CHINA. :mad:

Yes but what is the quality like?:confused:

Sean Troy
01-05-2008, 11:51 AM

Normally when someone over charges in a business someone else starts a competitive business and charges a bit less.

Unless the post is the only service available because of some restriction then I have a hard time feeling bad for them, even if it costs me more. Free market and all that jazz.

If I don't like what little Johnny charges to cut my grass I will go to his friend and have him do it.

Joe

Edit: Just to add that is assuming the prices are well laid out and it isn't some under the blanket scam after the fact.

Actually, Socialized is Fully Government.

Gary Keedwell
01-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Actually, Socialized is Fully Government.
Looks like little Johnny doesn't need to look over his shoulder.:rolleyes:;):D

Gary

David Weaver
01-05-2008, 1:27 PM
I'm failing to see what's wrong with Leonard Lee's request. He runs a business, and the purpose of a business first and foremost is to make a profit. Without that, all of the warm fuzzy things that people think about when they think of a company they like (if you buy from them, that you like their deals, service, products, ... and if you work for them, that you like going to work) don't exist.

Life is getting tougher for LV because of the exchange rate, so Leonard is trying to recover costs that he genuinely shouldn't have had. Seems reasonable to me. It looks like canada post was basically just throwing their weight around and telling customers that they would hold them responsible for something, but wouldn't take care of the converse.

What would you do if it was your money?

Gary Keedwell
01-05-2008, 2:03 PM
Lee Valley gives people unsuspected refunds after the fact...people are giddy.

Lee Valley expects money back form over-charge...he's greedy????

Gary

Art Mulder
01-07-2008, 9:59 PM

I know you're kidding, but just FYI, this only affects Canadians. For product shipped to the states, I understand that Lee Valley first trucks the items over the border, and then uses a US-based shipping method.

Eddie Darby
01-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Joe

The government use to run Canada Post as what they call a Crown Corporation. It is no longer a Crown Corporation, but it still has a mandate to provide a service to all Canadians.

When you live in the second largest country in the world, it is pretty hard to make a profit delivering mail.

Same thing with the airline Air Canada. Prices aren't cheap, but they have to fly into small markets to provide a vital service, and by so doing, they loose money.

Last time I checked UPS didn't deliver at the North Pole.

The concept of fair trade and open markets assumes that everyone is operating on a level playing field, which is never the case. China case in point, keeping their currency off the market.

Lee Valley provide a service that we woodworkers want, but at the cost of "No Sales- 50% Off". So we pay for it, and we pay for Canada Post not doing the right thing. If Canada Post wanted the $$$$ all they had to do was raise the price to be fair and open and honest. All these things seem to be what we all like about Lee Valley Tools.