PDA

View Full Version : My few x-mas turnings

Kevin McPeek
01-04-2008, 1:45 PM
Some of you may remember that I recently had a new (1st) baby so I haven't had much time in the shop. My wife separated her pelvis so I have been taking care of two most of the time.
I did manage to get these turned for a few friends. These are my first attempts at stoppers. Well the real first one ended up in the burn pile but you know what I mean. I find it is really easy to make these ugly.
I have made a few since, but don't have any more stopper parts, and they are getting a little better looking.

Any comments or critiques welcome.

Paul Heely
01-04-2008, 2:14 PM
Nice looking stoppers. They look like they made great gifts. Hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

Mike Vickery
01-04-2008, 2:44 PM
They all look very nice. I am sure all the Wino's in your family will love them ;-).

Just to be super critical the one on the far left looks a tad tall for my tastes and the one in the middle is a little big overall. I find it hard to judge the Berea stoppers compared to the Niles since the body is so much bigger. The middle one with the Berea stopper the tops size has fine proportions to the stopper base, but I am betting it will look rather large when in the wine bottle. I like the one on the right the best the size looks right on and the design is just simple elegance.

Ben Gastfriend
01-04-2008, 2:55 PM
Glad you could get back to the lathe, but, the family always comes first! Hope your wife is feeling better. Beautiful stoppers. They get addicting real fast.

Greg Just
01-04-2008, 3:04 PM
Kevin:

Great looking stoppers. I tend to make them larger as I find people like something large to grip. While mine may not be the most aesthetically pleasing, they are very functional.

Hope the wife is feeling better soon as I'm sure you are busy with the little one. Congrats!

Kevin McPeek
01-05-2008, 3:19 PM
Thanks!
Yeah, they are all a little big. The first one, which is walnut, is my favorite of the bunch as far as detail and shape is concerned.

Dean Thomas
01-05-2008, 7:20 PM
Hey, big is not bad! Not being able to find the bottle? Now THAT's bad. Big bonker stopper on the top? Mmmmm. GOOD. Better with flashing lights!!! :D

Oh, maybe your friends don't run in the same circles some of mine do...

Nice stoppers, though. Pleasant shapes, easy to grab without struggling.

Best to your wife for a speedy and effective recovery. Be sure to hug that little one a LOT while whispering sweet somethings in his/her ear. Like "mustard", "Mayo", "Daddy needs a new LATHE!", "Gouge", "Skew", "Shearing cut"........ :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-05-2008, 8:51 PM
Kevin....great looking stoppers!

Comment.....Make more!

Bernie Weishapl
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
Great stoppers. Yep you need to get start on this Christmas.:eek::cool::rolleyes: