PDA

View Full Version : Help with new shop equipment choices

Jack Porter
01-04-2008, 1:43 PM
First post, but have been lurking for a little while, and thought I would ask for some advice. I am looking for some new equipment, in particular a table saw and band saw. I've had my eye on the GO444 and GO555 both from grizzly, and since I just won my fantasy football league for just under 1k, I have the go ahead for some new tools but for a limited amout of $$.

I've been toughing it out with edge guides and "renting" time in my buddies shops for a little too long and definately need an upgrade. My shop, curently under "re"construction is 11x22 and is in moderate competition with the wifes' gardening equipment, but I'm planning on winning that battle. Any advice on this eqipment or other models that I may be unaware of would be helpful. Trying got get both pieces for 1k or less, I feel that this is going to be a challenge.:(

Brian Kent
01-04-2008, 2:27 PM
Welcome Jack!

Thank you for letting us help you spend your money. We love doing that!:D

My first question is this - Are you trying out woodworking to see if you like it or are you planning on doing this for a long time and a whole lot of fun?

If just trying it out, those are some good choices.

If you might do this for a long time, then I would spend your money :rolleyes: on one of these tools! You could choose either a G0513 series bandsaw or a G1023 series table saw from Grizzly and have a life-long quality tool that you won't want to trade in later.

Whatever the case, have fun!

Brian

Jack Porter
01-04-2008, 2:46 PM
Thanks Brian, I do plan on doing this for a while, but I also feel that I would need both pieces of equipment based on the amount of time I've been using my buddies shop and in particual the BS and TS.

I have a feeling this decision might take a while, too many choices.

John Bailey
01-04-2008, 3:06 PM
A lot will depend on what you are going to build. In my case, boats, kayak paddles, and dulcimers, everything has curves. I've had a table saw and a radial arm saw. I don't have one now. I use a bandsaw for everything. If I need to use a circular saw it's straight edge and circular saw time for me. I've found the bandsaw to be more adaptable to more projects. I look forward to upgrading to a larger bandsaw in the future.

John

Louis Rucci
01-04-2008, 3:28 PM
If space and money are limited take a look at Eurekazone's (EZ) system. They have a manufacturer forum here and the people there are outstanding.

One of the reasons I've decided to go with them.

I have a Jet 10" table saw with the Incra TS-LS fence system, and I'll probably sell it once I have my shop's inside completed and my saw system set up.

Only need to use a circular saw and the built-in safety features are second to none.

May enable you to cut wood and get that band saw you want.

One other thing, on the EZ site there are numerous "You-Tube" videos that show the equipment in action by the owner of the company . Not the best video, but it does get the message through.

Check 'em out.

BTW: I've chosen to go with the Mini-Max band saw and have their MM16 model.

Louis

Jack Porter
01-04-2008, 3:29 PM
Thanks John,
I do not have any standard types of projects, it ranges from furniture (desks, tables) to built ins (mantles, shelving) to experiments in guitars. Let me restate, unsuccessful experiments in guitars.

Lee Koepke
01-04-2008, 3:32 PM
make sure you build her an outdoor "shed" to house all of her gardening items in an accessible, organized manner. She will appreciate it. (and it will give you more room )

:cool:

Jack Porter
01-04-2008, 3:33 PM
Thanks Lee, that is actuall what I just finished. That is the main reason I think I've won the garage/shop battle. We will see in the springtime when the shop is filled with fertilizer bags and pots.

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 3:54 PM
Hi Jack,
Welcome to da Creek. More info here that you'll ever know what to do with..... take your time chosing tools but don't get into an OCD frenzy. There's too much time spent analyzing one brand versus another... and not enough time spent on what to do with the tools.;)
If you've used friends tools & you like one of the borrowed brands, that should be a big helper in weeding out the choices... though it reads like you are leaning towards Grizzly. For the prices, their stuff is good quality and not the most expensive around. I gladly tell anyone I own 2 Grizzly tools (8" jointer and 17" BS) and wouldn't shy away from buying anything else from the big bear.
It's always worthwhile to take a little time and dig through craigs list & other local classifieds.... I never seem to find gems that way, but many others do. Least I find good lumber deals occasionally on CL.

Cheers,
Greg

Dennis Kelly
01-04-2008, 5:48 PM
Hello Jack!
I just recently purchased the G0478 hybrid saw and love it! I bought the saw, blade, and mobile base for under 1k. If you have a small shop, you might be better off without a contractors saw because the motor hanging out the back tends to take up a lot of room. Just my .002

Deke

Chuck Lenz
01-04-2008, 6:03 PM
Hello Jack!
I just recently purchased the G0478 hybrid saw and love it! I bought the saw, blade, and mobile base for under 1k. If you have a small shop, you might be better off without a contractors saw because the motor hanging out the back tends to take up a lot of room. Just my .002

Deke
The motor hanging out the back takes up ALOT of room ? Comeon. I never did understand that complaint.

Bert Johansen
01-04-2008, 6:16 PM
I would definitely go with the bandsaw first, and as Louis suggested, get the Eurekazone saw guide for starters. My recommendation for a reasonably priced new bandsaw is the Rikon 14". Another option is to keep an eye out for used equipment. You can sometimes find great deals if you have patience and make a practice of searching the ads on a daily basis. Good deals don't last.

John Bailey
01-04-2008, 6:23 PM
make sure you build her an outdoor "shed" to house all of her gardening items in an accessible, organized manner. She will appreciate it. (and it will give you more room )

:cool:

Good thought Lee. 3 years ago I built a green house for the little lady before I built my stand alone shop. It payed benefits while building the shop.

John

Dave MacArthur
01-04-2008, 7:10 PM
Jack, Welcome!
goog choices. If upgrading to larger, G0513 17" band saw for $750. also craigslist.

Jack Porter
01-05-2008, 2:38 PM
thanks for the advice, has anyone had luck negotiating prices with grizzly?

Lance Norris
01-05-2008, 3:00 PM
thanks for the advice, has anyone had luck negotiating prices with grizzly?

Grizzly does not negotiate. What you see is what you pay. Just remember that you are getting excellent machinery at a great value. IMHO of course.

Jack Porter
01-05-2008, 3:10 PM
I figured as much, but thought it might be worth a shot. Some of the local vendors of other rmachinery will spend the time and haggle a little bit.