PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection Help

Dave Dye
01-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I did the search and still have questions. I live about 10 minutes from the Muncy Grizzly. Therefore, I'm probably going to buy Grizzly.

I have a 17X40 shop, I'm going to use the DC for my G0444z table saw and my 8" Jointer/Planer. I don't have the space or money for a monster. Just looking at chip collection mostly, however, clean lungs are good to.

Thanks

glenn bradley
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
If I would have just gone ahead and bought something like this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/2-HP-Cyclone-Dust-Collector/G0440 I wouldn't be looking to upgrade my current chip collector. Only some of the parts (and therefor money) will be re-usable once I upgrade. Cheaper to do it right.

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Dave,
No easy answers without budget, length of duct runs etc etc etc. Questions seem to breed more questions 'round here.:D
I'll say it would be great to have a big ol' cyclone for sure (ok powerful not overly large)... but I've managed to get along well with the Jet Dc1200CK (I think thats the model) canister style, 2HP set up w/ 6" trunk and 4" drops and blast gates on all drops.
Also I use a shop made air filter from some furnace style fliters (el cheapo fibergalss one for an inlet filter and the 3M ultra allergen on the exit), moves 300'ish CFM.
Anything is far better than nothing. I waited to buy the DC til after most of the pig tailed tools (as most do) and that's 180* from how I'd buy them today.
FWIW, I think I was out of pocket @ $800 or so for the DC, ducting, blast gates etc etc etc....

Cheers.
Greg

Chris Padilla
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Let's face it, setting up a DC in the most effective way for you health-wise is NOT at all cheap. There is just a lot that goes into it and they all add up and unfortunately it can get pretty high (easily above a grand).

Maybe you can get away with the Griz DC on wheels and a single flex hose?

Joe Chritz
01-04-2008, 1:02 PM
Its always more expensive to buy twice.

At 40 long you may have some long runs unless you set the unit up near the center somewhere. Maybe a bigger unit on a mobile base and 10' foot of flex unit you can save for some duct work?

FWIW, my DC system is expensive but not over fancy (Oneida, X-10 remote and ducts) but it is worth probably twice the cost in convenience and clean air. Without a doubt the best thing I have in the shop.

Joe

Victor Stearns
01-04-2008, 1:09 PM
Greetings Dave,
If I had only yesterday, what I know today, I would have saved my money and waited until I could purchase the something like the ClearVue Cyclone. As stated eariler, it is cheaper to buy once. The ClearVue have a better system than most. Take a look.
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.htm

Maybe when I can afford it I'll buy one.
Victor