PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Blade Tension Question

Erik Oerter
01-04-2008, 10:56 AM
On my 14" Delta Bandsaw, I have a lever that allows me to release the blade tension very easily. Thus far, I have been releasing the tension if I am not going to be using the saw for a few days. Is this necessary? I notice that other saws don't have a quick release. I am getting tired of having to reset the blade when I retension it.

Any thoughts?

Jim O'Dell
01-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Be glad you have a quick release lever! I have to crank the knob on mine by hand. I understand that leaving the tension set can deform the tires, and cause vibration and tracking problems if it gets bad. Hopefully others will chime in that are more experienced bandsaw users. I'm still exploring mine. :) Jim.

Earl Reid
01-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I have a old Sears 12in BS. 1963 era. I have left the tension very tight , it has the original tires. I installed a 3/4 hp motor about 25 yrs ago. I replaced the bearings about 6 yrs ago. It is the 2nd most tool in the shop. I use cool blocks. I dont see any problems with the tires. the only other problem has been the switch, I have had to take it apart 3 times to clean the sawdust out and clean the contacts. I' very pleased with it.:)
Earl

Al Willits
01-04-2008, 11:32 AM
If you have the quick release lever, all you have to do is release tension with it and when you use it, flip the lever back, no adjustments should be necessary.

I have the 14" also and there's no adjustments normally needed unless you change blades.

Al

John Thompson
01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
Ditto Al as releasing does not change the spring setting from what it was when you release.

Sarge..

Pete Bradley
01-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Detensioning isn't really necessary, but as others have said, if you have a QR, there really shouldn't be any resetting required.

Pete

Heather Thompson
01-04-2008, 11:48 AM
On my 14" Delta Bandsaw, I have a lever that allows me to release the blade tension very easily. Thus far, I have been releasing the tension if I am not going to be using the saw for a few days. Is this necessary? I notice that other saws don't have a quick release. I am getting tired of having to reset the blade when I retension it.

Any thoughts?

Erik,

I have the same saw with a six inch riser block, always released the tension, even when stepping away for a couple of hours. Why do you have to reset the blade when you retension it, I just set the tension, spin the lower wheel with my finger and plug it in (All is Good). If the fence gets out of whack that is another issue, currently have the Kreg fence, will be for sale shortly, making my own which should be much better :D.

Heather

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Another vote for using the quick release here.
I use my BS for resawing more that anything & I string the blade fairly tight... so it's peace of mind to me to take the stress off the machine when it's going to sit still for awhile. I release mine at the end of any shop session, necessary or not it's a routine now like shutting off the lights (which I usually remember to do).
Retensioning is done as Heather said.... lift lever, spin wheel to ensure tracking & viola. The blade doesn't move on the wheels with the tension released nor reapplied unless you make it move.. least on my BS it doesn't.

Greg

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 12:19 PM
The only blade I've ever had snap on me was the one that was on my saw for an extended period of time under tension. I have no idea if it was the result of that situation or not, but I religiously de-tension my band saw between uses at this point.

John Thompson
01-04-2008, 12:41 PM
BTW.. what Miss Heather said and Greg touched about opening the case and turning the wheel mnually after re-tensionig is very important. Even though the spring tension will assume it's setting, when you release the blade can slide forward or backward on the tire from it's center tracked position.

99% of the time you could turn the saw on without turning that wheel manually and watching it re-track.. and it most likely would re-track on it's own. But... but.. and a big butt... that 100th time the blade might have moved close enough to the wheel lip the blade could jump over-board from the initial starting torque. And that ain't good news to your blade.. guides and your general mental well being.

Sarge..

Lee Schierer
01-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I've seen bandsaws with rubber tires that have flattened due to the tension being left on the saw. It makes for a very unpleasant working saw when this occurs. The older rubbers used to take a set if pressure was applied for a long period of time. The newer saws use urethane for the tires and it is much less prone to taking a set from leaving the tension applied. I try, not always successful, to back off the tension on my 14" Delta when I'm not using it. So far no problems have developed.

The tension lever has to be a lot easier to use than backing off the hand knob I have.

glenn bradley
01-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Any thoughts?

There are two camps on the tension release issue. I prefer to release tension at the end of the day; some folks leave it on all the time.

I think the real question here is why do you have to reset your blade after reapplying tension? As stated, I release mine and reapply regularly and never have to adjust the blade. Once properly adjusted and then re-exposed to the previous tension, the blade should return to its previous path.

I would check your setup or your tension level. It may be that once you resolve this issue, releasing and reapplying tension will become a choice, not a chore.

Dick Rowe
01-04-2008, 9:52 PM
Once properly adjusted and then re-exposed to the previous tension, the blade should return to its previous path.

That certainly would be what you should expect, but on my Grizzly G0555, no matter how carefully I release or re-tension the blade, I still have to adjust the guide blocks as the blade moves a little bit forward or backward during the process.

It could be my saw setup or poor technique (I'll check next time I'm in the shop), and the reset of the blocks isn't the end of the world, but I will sometimes not de-tension the blade because I am too lazy or figure I will be too impatient to do it next time I want to use the saw.