PDA

View Full Version : "Weekend Doin's"

Karl Laustrup
01-04-2008, 7:26 AM
Friday January 4th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS".

The first weekend of 2008. What kind of mischief can we get into?:)

It's been really cold here for the last few days. That however is supposed to change starting Saturday. A gradual warmup with the possibility of near 50's Monday and Tuesday. Of course that's with rain also, so everyone is preparing for flooding. We could be snowless by the middle of next week. 30+ inches of snow gone in a couple of days. We were just over an inch from the most snow in December, so we got over 34 inches for the month.

Not sure what's happening this weekend. I may get roped into changing room configurations in my mom's room and the grand daughter's room. If so, I'll be spending a lot of time in the whirlpool bath. :o Maybe I'll get some time to lay out my next project, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Of course there are a few football games being played also.

So what's on tap for you this first weekend of the new year? A fresh start in a manner of speaking. Make it a safe year, beginning with this weekend.

Karl

Paul Greathouse
01-04-2008, 8:09 AM
Well, lets see, I just got off of a 12 hour shift this morning. Got to bring the LOML's Yukon in for new tires first thing this morning. Then the rest of the weekend will be spent doing finish work on by son's house, we're almost done. Baseboard, window casing, some front porch trimout and a little more cabinet installation is on the schedule for this weekend.

Tyler Howell
01-04-2008, 8:51 AM
In town this weekend. Long list of stuff on the house.
TJH

Randy Cohen
01-04-2008, 8:55 AM
its been too cold out in my unheated workshop the last few days for me to work out there. but the weather here is supposed to get much warmer so its back to my beekeeping projects. looking forward to getting back to that again.

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:20 AM
I'll be working on the nightstands, hopefully to get all the work done and have them ready for finishing the following weekend. (I had to order some satin USL and it will not be here for this weekend) I'll also be working on some trim work in the Great Room now that the new loft railings are in as well as finishing up the picture frame I made for a close friend. Who knows what else I might get going? :)

Lee Koepke
01-04-2008, 9:27 AM
I have to build a quick and easy bookcase for the wife so she can bring it to work.

I have to temper my desire to do nice with the fact it needs to be done by Monday:D

Plywood / face frame / one coat stain

Brodie Brickey
01-04-2008, 9:28 AM
It's my mother's 65th Birthday on Sunday. We're doing a little party. I'm also turning her a walking stick (fortunately she's way to active to need a real cane).

Then I'm prepping the shop. Getting it cleaned up and organized as I start my Neice's rocking chair as soon as the plans come it.

Al Willits
01-04-2008, 9:39 AM
Gonna be in the high 30's this weekend so I might open the garage doors and enjoy the warm spell...:)

Cleared a space for the new, soon to be here drum sander, and will continue on the TV stand for the upstairs.

Have a brief but enjoyable burger visit with Tyler yesterday and the wife and I got caught up in his tale of moving to the great north country, appears all is going reasonably well and if sawdust isn't being made at the new place, it soon will be..:)
Eat my heart out...hehe

Hopefully mostly in the garage this weekend, hoping to get a lot done on the stand and maybe try my hand at sharpening the Stanley scrapers I got from Nic.

Looks like a nice weekend to play, hope ya all enjoy your weekend too.

Al

David Duke
01-04-2008, 9:46 AM
It's my mother's 65th Birthday on Sunday. We're doing a little party.

Mine too Brodie......she will be 75.

Tomorrow morning I will be chasing material for the new pantry cabinets in our house, these are the LOML order so they must be done. In the afternoon I will install the oven cabinet I had built for a client. Sunday is Mom's birthday and we're having a little get together.

Greg Cole
01-04-2008, 9:49 AM
Hopefully get started on the finish on the mahogany hall table for my big sis. Managed to dry fit the mitered M & T's for the leg-aapron joints last weekend & got most of the surfaces prepped for finish other than cutting the bevel on the table top. Sis was in Australia and I wanted her to see the progess pics & decide if she wanted breadboard ends or not, and she doesn't, WOOHOO simplicity wins..... so a couple minutes with the block plane & the top will be ready for finishing (ok, gain filling and sealing might be @ it temperature depending).
The "manicured finger" from the jointer boo boo is good 'nuf to work with even with Neander Tools (except when I hit it where the fresh meat is growing back... who said grown men don't cry? :cool: My 6 year old boy hit the end of that finger the other day & my eyes watered and I about hit the floor, he felt TERRIBLE & won't stop appologizing).

Cheers & be safe.

Greg

George Bregar
01-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Completing shellac finish on my Morris Chair, so can bring to upholsterer. Football. Creating material list for my new shop from layout and electrical plans. Will probably post the electrical for some more expert advice. Cleaning up from the holidays. Was going to go back up north and pull out all the copper for a PEX install, but that will now be next weekend. Should here from the adjuster today so will also spec out materials for the new plumbing, drywall, etc.

Geoff Potter
01-04-2008, 8:46 PM
Picking up and unloading my first tool purchase for my shop. I got a heck of a deal on a 1 1/2 year old Unisaw and it comes to it's new home tomorrow morning.

Jeff Cybulski
01-04-2008, 9:21 PM
Gonna be in the 60's in Tulsa so I need to till in some more manure in the garden and finish up clearing the storm damaged trees.

Jim O'Dell
01-04-2008, 9:48 PM
We've got a dog show tomorrow morning.Ii should be in the shop to put a coat of Waterlox on the router table cabinet by 3:00 or so. Sunday I need to clean the shop a little. A guy from Round Rock (down by Austin) is coming up to take a look at my Clear Vue, as he is in the deciding stage about what cyclone to get. Then another coat on the router table. Jim.

Steve Clardy
01-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Gonna be working on the "Bosses" ;) new cherry upper cabinets.
Gotta stay one step away from the doghouse.;)

Maybe also work up some more firewood.

I've burnt almost 2 cords of wood in the shop this year.:D

Previous years I usually burnt 8-10 cords a year.:rolleyes:

This new roof, ceiling, and blown in insulation really made a difference in shop heating.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a lathe project to finish turning. Then clean up ....a little painting.....then start unpacking the DC and figuring out how I'm going to install it.