PDA

View Full Version : God bless steriods and antibiotics

Rob Bourgeois
01-04-2008, 7:10 AM
So i have been sick for a couple days. Started off as a normal cold or so I thought. It cleared up in the sinus and hit my throat. My throat started swelling and eating became difficult.( Anyone that knows me knows eating is never difficult for me)

So after a day or so of this and trying all sorts of meds I went see the docs. I had a tonsil that was so swollen and enlarged, he was amazed I could eat any solid food. He did a culture to determine I had strep. He started me on an aggressive treatment because he was worried i wasnt breathing enough and due to the possibility of an abscess behind the tonsil. A large shot of cortizone and some super antibiotic cocktail. I was told..if its not cleared up enough for you to have zero pain and no difficulty eating tomorrow...we will have to take your tonsils out due to it likely being an abscess behind the tonsil.

Well its tomorrow morning now.....I can drink and eat and I have hopefully put off what is supposed to be a fairly painful surgery to recover from in adults. Thank God for steriods...and what ever other super antibiotics I got. Now I got 2 big antibiotic pills every day. At least its not percocet and drooling after the surgery, as my boss explained about his tonsil removal he had..."worse pain ever during the healing"

So the moral of the story...go to the doc if you get sick and your throat is swelling and WASH YOUR HANDS to stop passing teh germs. I never realized I wasnt getting enough air until this morning.. I was huffing and panting after walking up the stairs, but not today. Now its "strep roullette "over here with my wife, 5 year old and 3 year old. Hopefully none of them get it.....

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:07 AM
No surgery? Geepers...that means no massive amounts of ice cream! LOL :D :D

Seriously, I hope your recovery continues. Strep is nothing to fool around with...

Carl Eyman
01-04-2008, 9:51 AM

Brian Kent
01-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Rob, I noticed your post was at 4 AM. I hope that was translated into my time on the west coast - otherwise you didn't get a heck of a lot of sleep.

Congratulations on breathing. That's always a good thing. I hope you and all other family members get healthy and stay healthy!

Jason Roehl
01-04-2008, 12:58 PM
My tonsils are normally large, but I have no problems eating/swallowing. One thing I've found that can help prevent and knock back throat/sinus infections is Listerine mouthwash. Use it right before bed all the time (particularly through the winter), and twice a day if you do have an infection.

Oh, and his post is showing as 7:10AM here...all posts show in whatever time zone you have set in your personal preferences.

Frank Guerin
01-04-2008, 8:06 PM
Now you have tonsils with muscles.

mark page
01-04-2008, 8:25 PM
When I was a child in the mid 60's, almost everyone with tonsil problems had them removed. I guess they do not do this procedure very much now. I was one of the "lucky" ones that was knocked out by ether instead of todays "whatever they give you". I think I was maybe six or seven years old when mine was removed. Somewhere deep down in my minds pysche I am still traumatized by wearing the blue "dust mask", getting ether drops on it, and being asked if I can smell anything, and all the nurses, doctors, etc. holding down my legs to keep me from kicking them. Also made me sick as a dog on it's worst day.:eek:

Rob Bourgeois
01-05-2008, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the well wishes...everyone is fine here. I guess I either have no immune system or was "lucky". now I am just resting and taking it easy.

That post was at 6am...before heading off to a very restful Friday of work...:rolleyes: