PDA

View Full Version : Mesqite with textured band

Mike Vickery
01-04-2008, 1:41 AM
This is a little 6.5 x 2 inch bowl. The wood is Mesquite and it is finished with Deft Oil and buffed but not waxed.

The band was textured with a pyrography pen using the medium ball tip. I usually blacken the burning with a black marker when I do the burnt texture but decided to leave this one natural.

Not sure what it was but this one was just a pleasure to work with. The wood cut great.

For those of you that give me a hard time about not taking pictures of the inside of my bowls. Here is proof I actually do hollow them out more then an inch.

Comments and crtiques are welcome.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2008, 1:59 AM
Mike.....very, very nice! Very well done Sir!

Ben Gastfriend
01-04-2008, 6:37 AM
Very nice, classy bowl. The band really adds to it's appeal. Good job as usual!

Paul Heely
01-04-2008, 7:04 AM
Good looking bowl Mike. I like the rim detail. Nice job.

Dale Gregory
01-04-2008, 7:48 AM
Mike, nice job! Really like the band, sets it off and makes it stand out!

Dale

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2008, 9:14 AM
Very nice Mike! Really like the classic form of the bowl and the slight inward slant to the rim! Beautiful wood and finish! You did a great job on the burn - no bleed that I can detect. While the bowl is a winner all by itself - the band adds to it's overall beauty. Very nice work!

Jim Becker
01-04-2008, 9:14 AM
Mike, you're really doing outstanding work!

Mike A. Smith
01-04-2008, 9:38 AM
For those of you that give me a hard time about not taking pictures of the inside of my bowls. Here is proof I actually do hollow them out more then an inch.

Actually Mike, this is just proof that you hollowed THIS one! Still suspicious about all those others.;)

Beautiful work!

Robert McGowen
01-04-2008, 10:28 AM
I have to agree with Ben's comment above, it does look very classy. I think the little foot adds to it's "classy" look. Nice job.......

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Beautiful piece Mike. Very classy looking as others have said. Detail and form are great. Well done.

Kevin McPeek
01-04-2008, 1:12 PM
Can I just say ditto??

And the verdict of the Deft oil compared to Watco is? Looks like it has a fairly low sheen, how does it dry and buff?

Nathan Hawkes
01-04-2008, 2:14 PM
Nice work. I'm a very new turner, and I'm confused about the burning; what sort of torch do you use, & what is a pyrography pen?? I'd like to try something different than what I've done so far, and I've got some mulberry that would really benefit from a nice contrasting black against the yellow.

Mike Vickery
01-04-2008, 2:31 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback.

Steve - When I first started burning I asked Molly Winton for some and she clued we in that DNA and a tooth brush work wonders for cleaning up the over burn.

Kevin - I have to use it a little more before I have a final opinion but it behaves pretty much the same as Watco. I did notice some little differences like it seems to dry a bit faster and build up a bit quicker. It seemed to buff out fine but with the textured band I have to buff more carefully then on a normal bowl so it is hard to say. I would say the finish is on the glossy side of Satin but the Velvet Mesquite does not seem to get as much of a gloss to it as some of the other woods I use so I dont find that unusual.

Mike Vickery
01-04-2008, 2:35 PM
Nice work. I'm a very new turner, and I'm confused about the burning; what sort of torch do you use, & what is a pyrography pen?? I'd like to try something different than what I've done so far, and I've got some mulberry that would really benefit from a nice contrasting black against the yellow.

No torch is used if you look at the link bellow you can see the kind of wquipment that is used.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Carving___Pyrography___Pyrography?Args=

I have a bunch of Mulberry but it is still drying so I do not know how well it burns yet. Keep in mind the Mulberry will actually turn a medium brown over time. Amonia fuming it or leaving out in direct sunlight will turn it brown fairly quickly. I am not sure what you could do to keep it yellow.

Nathan Hawkes
01-04-2008, 2:53 PM
No torch is used if you look at the link bellow you can see the kind of wquipment that is used.
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Carving___Pyrography___Pyrography?Args=

I have a bunch of Mulberry but it is still drying so I do not know how well it burns yet. Keep in mind the Mulberry will actually turn a medium brown over time. Amonia fuming it or leaving out in direct sunlight will turn it brown fairly quickly. I am not sure what you could do to keep it yellow.

I was afraid it would turn brown no matter what.....the ends of the logs I cut up are totally red-brown. they actually started to turn brown within a few hours of being cut. Still a very nice wood though. Doesn't check too terribly esp. compared to cherry.

Jeffrey Fusaro
01-04-2008, 3:28 PM
simple & very elegant.

well done.

Pete Jordan
01-04-2008, 3:32 PM
Mike,

I really like this one!

Tom Sherman
01-04-2008, 5:13 PM
Mike that is a nice un.

Allen Neighbors
01-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Wonderful bowl, Mike. Very elegant! Form is might near perfect. Thanks for the post.

Tony Wheeler
01-05-2008, 12:25 AM
very nice job Mike normaly I don't care for a foot on bowls but this one works very nice

Brett Baldwin
01-05-2008, 2:17 AM
The word elegant comes to mind. Simple with very good lines. Nice job Mike.