PDA

View Full Version : Lost Shop

Brent Powers
01-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Help! (please) I'm pretty good with Google, but at wits end, and now cast myself on the mercy of the superior memories here. A couple of months ago, I came across an (old, I believe) article detailing a tiny shop. The shop appeared very functional, even though it was probably under 250 sq ft. I've been through everything over at Shop Tours, and the closest I could find (wrt size) was Robert Clough's (needless to say, that wasn't it)

Here's what I THINK I remember:

1.) The shop was in a free standing garage (the garage was probably built, based on it's size, well before 1950.. maybe even the 20's).
2.) As you looked into the garage/shop from the driveway, There was a drill press or bandsaw in front to the right, and next to that was a table saw. I think it was a hybrid, but it might have been a cabinet.
3.) The article mentioned that, for the author, this was a luxurious shop. One that he'd had before had had something like a hole in the floor in front of the table saw.
4.) I'm pretty sure that they author rented the garage, rather than owned.
5.) The shop was (obviously) VERY well organized, and probably had (at time of photographs) cleaner floors than my kitchen.

It may have been the same magazine where someone had turned a Ridgid TS3650 into a cabinet-looking saw with the judicious use of lots of BB.

I do appreciate the help.

Cheers

Charles Murphy
01-04-2008, 1:34 AM
I found this on the FWW site...http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDFfree/011160044.pdf

Would that possibly be what you are looking for?

Greg Sznajdruk
01-04-2008, 9:15 AM
It may have been the same magazine where someone had turned a Ridgid TS3650 into a cabinet-looking saw with the judicious use of lots of BB.

I do appreciate the help.

Cheers
The TS3650 boys have thier own forum you can find it using Google.

I'm sure I saw a slick cabinet here on this forum in the last week or so. I'll look and be back if I find it.

Greg

Brodie Brickey
01-04-2008, 9:31 AM
Brent,

I think Charles found it. That's the only one I remember seeing about such a small shop.

Ed Brady
01-04-2008, 9:45 AM
That article is in a collection of articles from FWW called "Small Woodworking Shops" which has lots of useful ideas.

EDB

Brent Powers
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I found this on the FWW site...http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDFfree/011160044.pdf

Would that possibly be what you are looking for?

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Thanks so much (Hmmm, don't know why I contributed here).