PDA

View Full Version : Not so recent project

Lee Schierer
03-05-2003, 9:53 AM
Here's a computer desk that I made for my mother for Christmas. She is in her 70's and has really taken to e-mail. She wanted something better than a table to set her computer and printer on. She looked at several at the local Office Depot, but the ones in her price range were all particle board with plastic wood grain film. This one is made of Oak plywood. It used just slightly more than 1 full sheet.

http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/pc_desk.jpg

The Finish is MinWax Golden Oak stain with three coats of Deft semi gloss clear wood finish. The plywood was edge banded with oak veneer press on tape. The shelf is adjustable and the keyboard drawer locks in the out position. Most of the assembly is held together with pocket hole screws. The casters are so it can be moved for dusting. I have no idea why the left side of the bookshelf looks crooked. I assure you it was not!:(

My two sisters and sister in law pitched in with me for the materials and I made it. Pretty good deal I guess. Ever tried sneaking a full sized desk in the house so Mom won't see it.

Jim Izat
03-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Very nice job Lee. I know your mom must be very pleased.
What did you use to cut the pocket screw holes?

Jim Izat

Chip Wright
03-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Looks great, Lee. I don't see any pocket holes. Did you use the oak plugs to fill them? Those things seem pricey to me, though I might be missing something.

Todd Burch
03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
Golden Oak is timeless. Nice design too! So, you think you can talk her into joining SMC?

Todd.

Ted Shrader
03-05-2003, 11:15 AM
lee -

Nice deck - good design, well executed.

So how was Mom distracted while you were bringing it in?

Ted

Lee Schierer
03-05-2003, 12:38 PM
I use the Kreg jig. I have the original die cast version.

All the holes are inside our underneath where they can't be seen.

Mom was distracted by the sisters who were present and a couple of grandkids while my son and I put it together in the driveway so it could be carried in the house.

Kreg jigs are pricey, but in my opinion are worth it. I use mine on nearly every project for quick secure joints

I doubt my Mom would visit here, but if my Dad were still with us, I'm sure he would be a charter member.

Joe Suelter
03-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Lee, great job! I'm sure she loved it! Question, you say you used press on banding? Is that the stuff I've seen in the catalogs that is adhesive backed? Do you like it? I hate the iron on banding...

Lee Schierer
03-05-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Joe Suelter
Lee, great job! I'm sure she loved it! Question, you say you used press on banding? Is that the stuff I've seen in the catalogs that is adhesive backed? Do you like it? I hate the iron on banding...

I mis-stated what I used I guess. This was the heat with an iron type. I used a model airplane monocote iron for the heat. It went on pretty easy and stayed as long as I made sure it was stuck down and cooled.

Kurt Krauter in Indy
03-05-2003, 2:41 PM
A very nice effort, Lee. Looks very nice and I like the oak ply system. I was told that the best looking oaks go on plywood veneer. I wonder why more don't use veneered ply and faceframes? The only caveat is....don't aggressively sand the ply...DAMHIKT.

See you, Lee!

Kurt

Tom Sweeney
03-05-2003, 4:25 PM
Clean lines, functional, affordable & good looking. Bet your mom loves it :)

RJ Schuff
03-05-2003, 4:50 PM
Lee

I really like this desk. I have a son that has a very small bedroom in which this would fit a need. So do you by any chance have a written drawing or plan I could get from you??
Thanks

RJ