PDA

View Full Version : Old Table Saw Question

Richard Madison
01-03-2008, 9:42 PM
My ~20 year-old Delta cabinet saw, 220v 2hp motor, just began having very slow start-up, but eventually comes up to speed. Motor and arbor bearings are free, so presumably not a mechanical problem. Wiring diagram (circle with M in middle) is no help. Is a box on one side of motor which I assume contains one or more capacitors for capacitor-start motor. Also assume I have a bad capacitor.

Can anyone out there with similar experience confirm or help with diagnosis and cure? Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe Chritz
01-03-2008, 9:53 PM
Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly but I think it is that little bump thingy on the side of the motor. :D

As long as it runs fine once up to speed and it spins fine by hand there isn't much else it could be.

I assume it still develops good power at full RPM.

Joe

Richard Madison
01-05-2008, 1:18 PM
Thanks, Joe. Turns out that it has a "start" capacitor, a "run" capacitor (both in box on side of motor), and a centrifugal switch (inside fan end of motor) that disconnects the former capacitor at a preset rpm. Can check all this with a VOM, but found my VOM batteries are dead. My sweetie will be home soon with new batteries (takes a "D" cell and a 9-volt). Problem seems to be either a bad start capacitor, or switch contacts not making contact. Will probably know the answer soon. Hope this info will be helpful to someone in future.

glenn bradley
01-05-2008, 1:59 PM
Thanks, Joe. Turns out that it has a "start" capacitor, a "run" capacitor (both in box on side of motor), and a centrifugal switch (inside fan end of motor) that disconnects the former capacitor at a preset rpm. Can check all this with a VOM, but found my VOM batteries are dead. My sweetie will be home soon with new batteries (takes a "D" cell and a 9-volt). Problem seems to be either a bad start capacitor, or switch contacts not making contact. Will probably know the answer soon. Hope this info will be helpful to someone in future.

You're onto it Rich. I see a bad cap in your future. Easy fix after 20 years of service.

Richard Madison
01-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Tablesaw finally back in operation. The motor's centrifugal switch got "adjusted" (a couple of its parts bent just a hair), contacts cleaned, and a new start capacitor. The old capacitor "metered" good, but the top was a little "suspect" looking.

Forced to complete three other pieces and do a new one while the saw was down. At last resumed work on new segmented piece (first in more than a year). Parted off some misaligned rings and cut segments for next four rings. Was having difficulty centering rings, and when the saw cratered I lost my focus and misaligned a ring. Did not even notice it until two rings later. Bummer.

Malcolm emphasizes "focus" several times in the book, and rightly so.

Jim Heffner
01-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Sounds like your start capicator is going south on you...time to replace it.
eezlock