PDA

View Full Version : Map Chest WIP w/ Pics

Lars Thomas
02-26-2004, 12:13 AM
Hello all, I thought I would share a picture of a cabinet I am working on. I'm calling it a map chest (although it's not) because it has 6 shallow drawers (plus one deep). It will be used to store the owners completed water color paintings.

This is a cherry cabinet of my own design that stands about 46" tall and about 22" wide by 16” deep. All of the stretchers (front and rear) are dovetailed into the case. Last night I completed the 2 piece molding around the top. With that step done, it is starting to look like a real cabinet. Note: you may recall a thread a few days ago regarding using nail guns in cabinetry. I confess, I do. But because of this, the molding will now need to be a three piece since I blew a nail out one of the sides – just beneath the molding. URGHHHH!

I've got the Omni Jig (Porter Cable Dovetail jig) all set up and ready to go to town on the drawers. I have really enjoyed working on this project, but I am very eager to get it delivered so I can get to work on some of the projects for my own home.

I've taking a lot of pictures in the process, once I complete the cabinet I'll post a bunch of them – hopefully they can help someone.

I'm open to any comments or feedback, so let 'er rip.

The drawer hardware has not been selected, so I am particularly interested is suggestions about that. I'm thinking something like this: http://www.horton-brasses.com/products/drawerpulls/rosette/34/image?large=1

Thanks for looking. Enjoy. Lars

Lars Thomas
02-26-2004, 2:06 PM
Can I get a little help with the pics? Thanks

I fixed em for you Lars !! (Your friendly moderator)

Todd Burch
02-26-2004, 4:37 PM
Looks good Lars! That's a lot of drawers! Will you get paid in watercolors? !

Lars Thomas
02-26-2004, 9:41 PM
Todd, They better not be water colors - that wasn't part of the deal! I spoke with the customer today and told her I was ready for the drawer pulls. She seemed a little surprised that I was expecting her to provide (ie: pay for) them. Not sure why, It was part of the part of the terms of the agreement.

Thanks for your comments. Lars