PDA

View Full Version : Penn State Industries Dust Bin Sensor

Todd Franks
01-03-2008, 9:26 PM
Anyone use this dust bin level sensor? Does it seem to work OK?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/binsensor2.html

Does anyone have any other options? The only other options I know of are Oneida's and the homebrew one on Bill Pentz's website. I've also found rotary paddle sensors from Omega and Dwyer but they appear to be as expensive as the Oneida.

Paul Kinneberg
01-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Todd I don't have experience with that one but I love the Onieda it works great but is pretty high priced for what it does so if you can find one that provides the same functionality for $80 I would get it. One other thing I went with the 35 gallon metal drum from Onieda and knowing what I now know I would not use one of these on anythjing smaller then the 55 gallon because of the way mine works it sets off the light when the can is about 8" from the top on a 35 gallon drum that is almost 30% of the capacity needless to say I will be going to the 55 gallon fiber drum soon.

Jamie Buxton
01-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have any other options?

Yes. Make a plexiglass window in the side of your chip bin. You can see at a glance when it is getting full. It has no moving parts, eats no electricity, and costs losts less than the systems you cite.

Bill Pentz
01-03-2008, 10:29 PM
My friend Sugi is a Japanese engineer who was kind enough to design a low cost dust bin sensor that you can build yourself. If you like the sensors that other small shop vendors carry, take a serious look at Dwyer Instruments as their sensor is the industry standard and far less expensive than buying that from others. Although the windows work pretty well, they still require you to constantly look at your dust bin. The slickest bin sensor I have seen used a Christmas tree bulb on one side of the dust bin flange and a standard outdoor light photocell on the other. The flange had clear windows on both sides. As soon as the dust covers that window area the photocell goes off and can flash a light, run a buzzer, etc. With a little cleverness you could have that also engage a relay that turns off your system if like me flashing lights and buzzers after raising a son crazy about video games no longer get your attention.

Phil Harding
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I've had one on my Super Gorilla for a little less than a year and I can recommend it. I tried the plexiglass window in the bin approach before installing the bin sensor but the window is only useful when the cyclone is not running. I frequently over filled the bin during long planing sessions.

The Penn State sensor signals when the bin is full with a buzzer and a red light. My cyclone is in a corner and the red light is hard to see and the buzzer hard to hear unless I happen to be close when it goes off. I wired a red light bulb to the auxillary output on the sensor and mounted that on the ceiling in the middle of my shop. Now when the bin fills the red light catches my attention immediately.

-- Phil

Chuck Lenz
01-03-2008, 10:52 PM
The concept seems pretty good if you fill the bin in less then a day. For fire safety reasons I believe most companies that make dust collectors tell you to empty them daily.

Tom Veatch
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Todd I don't have experience with that one but I love the Onieda it works great but is pretty high priced for what it does so if you can find one that provides the same functionality for $80 I would get it. ....

Interesting that the writeup (http://store.oneida-air.com/item.asp?PID=48)for the sensor on the Oneida site is very similar to the description (http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/pdffiles/cat/level/DBLM_cat.pdf) of the Dwyer Instruments DBLM sensor. Pictures look very similar also. Prices don't, 'though.

Todd Franks
01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
Yes. Make a plexiglass window in the side of your chip bin. You can see at a glance when it is getting full.

I'll probably do both. I have this genetic defect where I cannot multi task. I guarantee I'll be running the planer and forget to check the window and pack my filters full. I hope I won't be able to ignore a flashing strobe.

One other thing I went with the 35 gallon metal drum from Onieda and knowing what I now know I would not use one of these on anythjing smaller then the 55 gallon ...

A little more info. I'm trying to shoehorn a ClearVue CV1800 in a ceiling height of 87.5". I'm going to have to build a custom made square dust bin that will be about 35 gal, only shorter and fatter than a standard round bin. I wish I could go taller but I'm making a compromise, I get a cyclone but a small dust bin. I kind of like the idea of early warning. I'll use it for indication only, not a shut down interlock. It should remind me to check the window.

My friend Sugi is a Japanese engineer who was kind enough to design a low cost dust bin sensor that you can build yourself. If you like the sensors that other small shop vendors carry, take a serious look at Dwyer Instruments as their sensor is the industry standard and far less expensive than buying that from others. Although the windows work pretty well, they still require you to constantly look at your dust bin. The slickest bin sensor I have seen used a Christmas tree bulb on one side of the dust bin flange and a standard outdoor light photocell on the other. The flange had clear windows on both sides. As soon as the dust covers that window area the photocell goes off and can flash a light, run a buzzer, etc. With a little cleverness you could have that also engage a relay that turns off your system if like me flashing lights and buzzers after raising a son crazy about video games no longer get your attention.

I'm still contemplating the Sugi sensor. But being and electrical engineer by trade I won't leave it alone (another genetic defect). I was looking at Digikey today trying to find a 240VAC to 12VAC transformer so I can power it from the same source as the DC ($20). Then I'll need to add a rectifier, regulator, etc ($5). Then I'll want to put it in an enclosure ($20). You can see where this is going, I'll be at the price of a commercial unit before long.

I'm surprised you say the Dwyer is less expensive. I was looking at the PLS series rotary paddle sensor and my limited research shows it being in the $160-$200 range.

I also came across the photocell sensor. I'm a little skeptical of an optical sensor working with wood dust. I would think the dust would cloud the window, prematurely indicating a full bin. But what do I know, maybe it works great.

Steve knight
01-03-2008, 11:24 PM
there is where the clearview comes in handy. when you see too much dust swirling around it is full.

Doug Shepard
01-04-2008, 7:31 AM
I'm still contemplating the Sugi sensor. But being and electrical engineer by trade I won't leave it alone (another genetic defect). I was looking at Digikey today trying to find a 240VAC to 12VAC transformer so I can power it from the same source as the DC ($20). Then I'll need to add a rectifier, regulator, etc ($5). Then I'll want to put it in an enclosure ($20). You can see where this is going, I'll be at the price of a commercial unit before long.

I'm surprised you say the Dwyer is less expensive. I was looking at the PLS series rotary paddle sensor and my limited research shows it being in the $160-$200 range.

DBLM 110V from Dwyer is $119 and they also have a 220V version
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/level/ModelDBLMPrice.cfm
I got a pretty good deal on one off eBay for less
The same one at Oneida is $226

You can also skip the transformer using the 110V version by having it powered by the same 110V that switches the coil for the 220 for the DC. That's how I wired mine and hooked it to a 12V strobe using a 110-12V transformer.
There's pics on my CV gallery page
http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones.com/v/Cv1400/Dougs-Mini-CV1400/

Todd Franks
01-04-2008, 9:04 AM
Interesting that the writeup (http://store.oneida-air.com/item.asp?PID=48)for the sensor on the Oneida site is very similar to the description (http://www.dwyer-inst.com/htdocs/pdffiles/cat/level/DBLM_cat.pdf) of the Dwyer Instruments DBLM sensor. Pictures look very similar also. Prices don't, 'though.

DBLM 110V from Dwyer is $119 and they also have a 220V version ...

Thanks guys! I was looking at Dwyer and found the PLS series but completely missed the DBLM series.

You can also skip the transformer using the 110V version by having it powered by the same 110V that switches the coil for the 220 for the DC. That's how I wired mine and hooked it to a 12V strobe using a 110-12V transformer.

I'm not using an external start circuit with a remote or anything special so I don't have 120V available. I just have a self contained magnetic starter with a 240V coil. I'll either have to use all 240v stuff, use a transformer, or supply an external 120V source.

Thanks for everyones input. Decisions, decisions.

Bill Pentz
01-04-2008, 12:02 PM

Two of the cyclones I tested a year ago had vendor supplied dust bin full sensors, but the cartons those sensors came in said Dwyer and had standard Dwyer part numbers, but cost a lot more than Dwyer charges.

Tom Veatch
01-04-2008, 1:07 PM
Two of the cyclones I tested a year ago had vendor supplied dust bin full sensors, but the cartons those sensors came in said Dwyer and had standard Dwyer part numbers, but cost a lot more than Dwyer charges.

Well, Bill, that's what all the financial consultants say isn't it? "Buy low, sell high".

Incidentally, that kit cyclone you provided almost exactly 3 years ago, works very well indeed. I did replace the Sheldons airfoil wheel with a 16" MH impeller from Ed when I built a new shop building recently. Excellent performance! Thanks!

Now that the cyclone is not visible from inside the shop, looks like a bin sensor is the next thing on the list. Thanks for bringing Dwyer to my attention.

(BTW, I have a surplus 2HP Sheldons wheel if you know anyone who wants one.)

Mike Brucker
11-02-2009, 8:29 PM
I have just purchased the psi bin sensor, and I'm starting to wire an external warning light. I know I will not hear the litte buzzer right next to the running cyclone. I have a question for you on the wiring - attached is the diagram from psi. For the two wires going to the bulb - which is the hot and which is neutral? I'd guess the lower wire coming from the "plug" is neutral since it connects to the white wire of the switch. But wouldn't that mean the switch is switching the neutral? You always switch the hot, right?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

Abe Krebs
10-12-2010, 9:45 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if those of you who purchased the PSI Bin sensor were still happy with it? How close to the top of the bin does the dust/chips get before it triggers?

For those who might read this and have the Dwyer, same questions...

Paul Wunder
10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Abe:

Go to Oneida Air's website and look at their New "Dust Sentry" at $129. Looks nifty; operates on infra red technology, has a large warning light and is adjustable to suit the height of your bin and how full you want it to be. Unlike the PSI, this appears to have a small footprint in the drum and is based on electronic vs. mechanical technology. I am not a big fan of Oneida, but this product caught my interest.

PAUL

Doug Shepard
10-13-2010, 6:57 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if those of you who purchased the PSI Bin sensor were still happy with it? How close to the top of the bin does the dust/chips get before it triggers?

For those who might read this and have the Dwyer, same questions...

I haven't measured it but the Dwyer is maybe 3-4" from the top of the drum before it triggers the alert.

Paul McGaha
10-13-2010, 8:12 AM
I ordered one from Oneida about a week ago. Havent received it yet. The lady that took my order told me there is a 2 to 3 week lead time on them. She said there selling like crazy.

PHM

Abe Krebs
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Paul,

Any update on that infrared sensor?

Abe

Paul McGaha
11-04-2010, 2:27 PM
Hi Abe,

I received it last week and installed it last Saturday.

I posted about it in the Workshop Forum.

I think its ideal for a small shop. My shop is a 2 car garauge with the dust collector local. When the bin gets nearly full a blue light flashes that I mounted near the collector. It can be seen from anywhere in the shop.

I have read where other shops might have a need for an audible signal, machine shutdown feature, and the Oneida sensor isnt set up for that. It serves my needs ok though.

There is some adjustment to the sensor. I am hoping I can get it dialed in to start flashing when the dust reaches about 2 or 3 inches from the lid of the drum.

I think it will take a few weeks to prove how acurate and reliable it is but so far I'm really happy with it. I'd recommend it.

PHM