PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Need Manufacturer name

Gene O. Carpenter
01-03-2008, 8:46 PM
While going thru some older boxes stored in my cellar I came across this hand plane that I thought had been "light fingered" about 25 years ago.:rolleyes:. Will have to run it thru an episode of Electrolysis rust removal to get it looking decent again!:)
The only markings on it are "Made in USA" on front toe by the front grip and then on the Iron Clamp are 4 square blocks each about 1/4"X1/4" and they're arranged in a square pattern.:confused:
It was hardly used when it "walked away" those many years ago but being in that cardboard box surely racked havoc on the nice dark patina finish that used to be on it.
If anyone recognises this Logo or trade mark I would appreciate it if you would let me know..Thank you..:)
Gene

Roger Myers
01-03-2008, 8:59 PM
It's a Stanley 4 square model. This was part of a line of tools they produced for a period of time.... if you want/need more info, let me know..

Gene O. Carpenter
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Roger,
Thanks for a nice fast reply! I preciate it! I'm going thru my older, unused planes, wrenches and other hand tools, getting ready to list them on evilbay. So if you could tell me the time line and it's scarcity, if you know, I can add that to my description.
Do you know anything about a Millers Falls, guess it would be some sort of block plane. 4-1/8" long 1-1/16"wide. The shoe is adjustable, blade edge is about 3/8" from front..All cast iron and steel, a one handed plane..Just found cast inside top housing or body "375" and "G"..Could it be a "Rabbit" plane?
Gene

Bill Houghton
01-03-2008, 11:24 PM
If the blade extends out to both sides, and the sole at the front is part of a casting that extends back over the top of the rest of the body, it's probably the M-F version of the STanley No. 75 plane. These are worth $12-15 (to check, search on "Stanley 75" in the collectible tools section of deBay; you'll probably find some M-F equivalents listed too).

They're terrible planes, by the way. Very awkward to use.

Roger Myers
01-04-2008, 3:51 PM
Gene,
Unless the plane is in the original box and/or has the original decals or tags attached, the stanley plane is not of any particular value. The Stanley 4 square line was made by Stanley between 1923 and 1935 and was aimed at the homeowner... it was replaced in 1935 by the Defiance line of planes. People who collect 4 square tools might pay a slight premium, but the price guides really don't reflect this, so probably the same as the comparable stanley plane, or slightly less. Source for this info is Walter's guide, 2nd edition...
Like anything collectable, condition rules...so unless in primo condition, and it doesn't sound like it is, don't expect much... pics will help.
Roger

Gene O. Carpenter
01-04-2008, 7:49 PM
Roger & Bill,
Thank you both, you have been most helpful! I know about "condition" so I really don't expect to get much for them but a few $$ in the kitty is better than my wife calling in someone to clean out my "stuff" and pay them a premium price to clean it out and then they turn around and sell it for more $$ that could have been her's to help pay expenses.
I had no idea who that little palm wrecker was made by nor it's age til I looked it up like you said, and there are a number of them available.
I know that when I first saw it at a flee market some 30-35 years ago I thought "gee what a nice little plane"! Gave the guy a "buck" for it and later after honing the blade I made a couple passes on a scrap piece of Pine and found out that I threw a "buck" away! It's been bouncing around ever since, still had a curlicue up on the blade clamp.
Anyway thanks for the most enlightening information, I preciate it..
Gene