PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Jewelry box hinges

Mark Stutz
02-25-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm in the process of putting the final touches on a jewelry box. When I completed putting in the screws, they were proud of the countersink in the hinge. I predrilled the holes, allowed a larger hole for the screw shank, ''tapped" the hole with a steel screw, and lubricated the screw. These are Brusso hinges. The only solution I can see is to use a coutersink to enlarge the countersink in the hinges. I know that Brusso is in reorganization, but I wouldn't expect this with good quality hinges. Is this normal? Any other solutions? Any other brand of hinges that you use? Pics will follow if I can get this finished and the box will close properly. Thanks.

Mark

Todd Burch
02-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Sounds like they sent the wrong screws.

I use Horton Brasses Hardware (www.horton-brasses.com). Good, extruded hinges. I get the blackened brass.

Dave Arbuckle
02-26-2004, 1:05 AM
How much proud, Mark? If it's just a little bit, you can file or sand the screws flush with the hinges, which looks really cool because you get a perfect match. Kind of appears as though it's one piece of metal with a screwdriver profile punched in.

Dave

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-26-2004, 7:34 AM
How much proud, Mark? If it's just a little bit, you can file or sand the screws flush with the hinges, which looks really cool because you get a perfect match. Kind of appears as though it's one piece of metal with a screwdriver profile punched in.

Dave

Right you are...and I've done that very thing on several no-mortise hinges from Woodcraft. And that's why I won't be using them again. Even considering that the ones I was using are probably very low quality imports, the screws oughta fit the hole. And the screw certainly should fit when it's a 'name brand' hinge.

KC

Mark Stutz
02-26-2004, 7:29 PM
Dave, they are proud by about a 32nd, and it's all 8 screws! The hinges are mortised, and its enough so the box won't close properly. Won't what you describe mar the surface and remove the lacquer allowing the hinges to tarnish over time?

Todd, I picked up some other screws today to see if they fit better before removing the hinges and trying to fix this.

Thanks all. Mark

Mark Stutz
02-26-2004, 10:52 PM
The new screws did the trick. Pics to followon another thread.