PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Jigsaws: Corded vs. Cordless

Jameel Abraham
01-03-2008, 7:28 PM
I've been using my Bosch 50th Anniversary 1587 Jig for going on 11 years now. The blade lock "nut" at the top is rounded off, but I can still get it to clamp. Other than that it's been flawless for hours and hours of cuts. I love it.

But I'm sick of the cord. The work I do with this saw is very tedious with tight turns and high precision. I'll sometimes spend an entire day with it. So the cord is a nuisance. I'm attaching a pic of what I'm talking about. I'm wondering if anyone has used the corded Bosch jigsaw (the 1587) to one of their newer cordless tools? What are your impressions? I'm concerned here that since the cordless ones are a bit lighter and don't have the same metal housing up front that it may be a lesser quality tool, not as smooth or accurate. I'm not so concerned with the newer blade guide on the corded model--it would be nice--but it's not available on the cordless model.

Tons of power is also not an issue. I'll cut basswood exclusively with this saw, and it cuts like butter.

Impressions?

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 7:33 PM
You're doing that work with a hand-held jigsaw, not a scroll saw??? WOWSA!

Given a narrow blade and generally consistent material (which basswood tends to be) you'll likely get reasonable life on a charge with a cordless, but I have to question whether the tool will be as good as the high-end Bosch jigsaw, especially relative to the guides. I personally think that the guides on the Bosch (and Festool) jigsaws are what makes them special. But it sounds like you're not used to them anyway...

I think you would have to test drive the cordless to see if it operates smooth enough and with the comfort you are expecting. The weight balance may be different due to the battery, etc.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-03-2008, 8:21 PM
Jim Becker: You're doing that work with a hand-held jigsaw, not a scroll saw??? WOWSA!

I think that's an understatement Jim! Unbelievable! I have no experience with the cordless Bosch, but I love my corded version. Best of luck on your decision Jameel.

John Bailey
01-03-2008, 8:34 PM
I've been using my Bosch 50th Anniversary 1587 Jig for going on 11 years now. The blade lock "nut" at the top is rounded off, but I can still get it to clamp. Other than that it's been flawless for hours and hours of cuts. I love it.

But I'm sick of the cord. The work I do with this saw is very tedious with tight turns and high precision. I'll sometimes spend an entire day with it. So the cord is a nuisance. I'm attaching a pic of what I'm talking about. I'm wondering if anyone has used the corded Bosch jigsaw (the 1587) to one of their newer cordless tools? What are your impressions? I'm concerned here that since the cordless ones are a bit lighter and don't have the same metal housing up front that it may be a lesser quality tool, not as smooth or accurate. I'm not so concerned with the newer blade guide on the corded model--it would be nice--but it's not available on the cordless model.

Tons of power is also not an issue. I'll cut basswood exclusively with this saw, and it cuts like butter.

Impressions?

After seeing your work, Jameel, I think you could do the work with a pocket knife. You're amazing. But, to answer your question, I would be surprised if a cordless would be as accurate, but I think it could be done. I think you'll just have to try it.

John

Bob Aquino
01-04-2008, 9:23 AM
I have the 14.4 Bosch cordless jigsaw. Its the only bosch jigsaw I have, the corded saw is a metabo. I rarely use the metabo, I always pull out the bosch simply because it is so convenient and cuts so well. Battery life is pretty good, on par with a drill in terms of run time since I think the current draw is very similar (not like the circular saw which can drain a battery very fast). Blade changes are a snap, much easier than the metabo and it is a very accurate and smooth saw (probably no different from its corded cousins). I have some very fine thin blades that I use with the bosch for cope cutting on crown molding. I have also used it for a lot of rough cuts on some remodel work cutting 2x. It shines in both areas. Go for it, you wont be disappointed.

Peter Quadarella
01-04-2008, 10:16 AM
I have the full set of 18V cordless Bosch tools, including the jigaw. I have to say, it's a great set of tools all around. What's to say about the jigsaw? It takes about 3 seconds to change a blade and it cuts great. I have never even imagined cutting anything as beautiful as your pictures, so I can't comment on its suitability for that, but I like it.

Jameel Abraham
01-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess as always the best advice---buy it and try it.

Bob, what blades are you using? I use the Bosch T101A0 blades for this cutting (and I grind them narrower and round and polish the back edge), but I'm always open to something better. Not that these are bad, they are very good. Just never tried anything else.

Bob Aquino
01-04-2008, 2:19 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I guess as always the best advice---buy it and try it.

Bob, what blades are you using? I use the Bosch T101A0 blades for this cutting (and I grind them narrower and round and polish the back edge), but I'm always open to something better. Not that these are bad, they are very good. Just never tried anything else.

I think the blades are the T119BO, I got them along with an easycoper jig that I never really used. They are 12tpi, 3" narrow shank. http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/ee/e4/db/31852917-177x150-0-0_Bosch_Bosch_T_Shank_3_Jig_Saw_Blades_for_Wood_5_ Pa.jpg

David Duke
01-04-2008, 2:28 PM
Jameel, if your getting that kind of results out of your jig saw I'm gonna through mine in the trash when I get home!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously that is some beautiful work, I wish I had the "feel" for doing something like that. I have never used the cordless Bosch but I would think the main concern as Jim stated is in the balance of the saw.

Stephen Pereira
01-06-2008, 9:40 AM

Jameel,

Beautiful, beautiful work. As others have I said I find it incredable that you use a jig saw rather than a scroll saw. Could you tell us more about how you modify the stock Bosch blades?

I was thinking of buying a scroll saw but after seeing what can be done with a jig saw I am having second thoughts.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-06-2008, 6:48 PM
Don't know about the jigsaw...but wow!
-Jeff :)