PDA

View Full Version : I have pen tubes.!!!

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2004, 7:10 PM
I got my pen tubes today.!!! Thanks Jerry!!!!!! :D

Now I have to get busy and put some pens in them and get them ready for shipping to SMC......

Jerry Stringer
02-26-2004, 12:57 AM
I got my pen tubes today.!!! Thanks Jerry!!!!!! :D

Now I have to get busy and put some pens in them and get them ready for shipping to SMC......

Great!

Is it just me or are they perfect for shipping the pens?

Thanks!

Jerry

Daniel Yourdon
02-26-2004, 10:41 AM
These where just in time. I was trying to figure out haow I was going to keep 100 pair of matched blanks, matched up. my son is going to help me and we will be passing the blanks back and forth to each other between two lathes. once thay are basically rounded these tubes will hold them so it was a big answer for me.
thaks for all you have done

Great!

Is it just me or are they perfect for shipping the pens?

Thanks!

Jerry

Jerry Stringer
02-26-2004, 6:17 PM
These where just in time. I was trying to figure out haow I was going to keep 100 pair of matched blanks, matched up. my son is going to help me and we will be passing the blanks back and forth to each other between two lathes. once thay are basically rounded these tubes will hold them so it was a big answer for me.

I cut and drilled the blanks a long time ago, waiting on the pen kits to arrive. To keep them so that I could match them up again, I numbered them 1 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 3, and so on with a Sharpie marker, numbering each half at the end in the middle of the pens. That way, if they all got mixed up, I could easily match them up again.

Jerry

Daniel Yourdon
02-26-2004, 7:12 PM
I cut and drilled the blanks a long time ago, waiting on the pen kits to arrive. To keep them so that I could match them up again, I numbered them 1 - 1, 2 - 2, 3 - 3, and so on with a Sharpie marker, numbering each half at the end in the middle of the pens. That way, if they all got mixed up, I could easily match them up again.

Jerry

Oh I have tham all cut,numbered, drilled and the tubes glued in. I will be making them with a production line that I will turn the blanks from square to round, remove them from my lathe so my son can turn them to their max. diameter, then remove them again to be finally shaped on my lathe again. once the turning has started the numbers won't help much. I needed away to pass them back and forth and not get seperated. My son is 14 and wants to help, so I am putting him an my mini metal lathe where most of it is automatic. so I can work and not have to keep a constant eye on him. I'll get him to the wood lathe before it is over though. Killing several birds with one stone this way.

Bill Turpin
02-28-2004, 1:44 PM
I finally got to Post office to pick up tubes. Now if I can SAFELY get down the slope, thru ten inches of Thursday's snow, I will start to fill them up! The path to my "studio" has a 4/12 pitch.

Thanks for all your labors,
Bill in WNC mountains

Daniel Yourdon
02-29-2004, 8:55 AM

Starting to get the tubes filled, My son and I got in the shop yesterday and have nearly all the blnks rough turned. My son got twenty of them turned to their Max. diameter on the metal lathe. He did really great. It wasn't easy as it was a whole new set up I was inventing as we went. Lots of little bugs but he was real attentave and a natural at trouble shooting problems. He evben got on the wood lathe for a while then decided I had the tough job. He loves the metal lathe though.
I save milling the ends on a few blanks for him also so he could get the feel for the drill press. I really put him through his paces int the shop for it being his first day out their.
I will list his name when i ship the pens as a craftsperson / Contributor.
It was one of the best days I've ever had in my shop, now how to get my daughters out their!!!