PDA

View Full Version : Pictures w/o using photograv

Daryl Barberousse
01-03-2008, 1:10 PM
Just for my general info, can someone explain to me how to laser a photo by using corel. I know that Photograv is the "way to go", but I'd like to try it the "manual" way first......

Regards,
Daryl

Larry Bratton
01-03-2008, 1:20 PM
Just for my general info, can someone explain to me how to laser a photo by using corel. I know that Photograv is the "way to go", but I'd like to try it the "manual" way first......

Regards,
Daryl
Per Rodne Gold:
Here's how to do it In photoshop

1) Convert to 8 bit greyscale

2) Resize the image to the size its gonna get engraved using 150-300 dpi (150 for less detail)
(You can do the same thing in Corel Photopaint)

3) Bump up contrast and brightness about +25 in
both cases - you dont want the pic to be insipid areas of medium grey.

4) Heres the VITAL part - use unsharp mask at 500% and a radius of 3-5 pixels - threshold 0 - this will exaggerate edges radically , but thats what you need. In fact you can do this and then STILL add another unsharp mask at 150 % , 1pixel and 0 threshold AFTER the 1st unsharp if you want even more edge detection

5) Convert to a bitmap using 125-150ppi and a diffusion pattern.

5) laser.

that will give you essentially similar or better results.
Good luck!
(PS, you can do the same in Corel Photopaint)

Daryl Barberousse
01-03-2008, 1:32 PM
Thanks Larry,

I just stumbled across that info right after I posted. Duh!!! I'll give it a try.

Daryl Barberousse
01-03-2008, 7:53 PM
Looks like I'll be ordering Photograv.......thanks for the help.

Larry Bratton
01-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Looks like I'll be ordering Photograv.......thanks for the help.
Daryl:
I know it costs $400 bucks, but I happen to think it's worth it. I shortcuts all of that and I get good results with it. At least I think their pretty good and I get a lot of positive comments. I don't make my living doing laser work but if I did, I simply would not be without it. I have owned it since before I got the laser delivered. I have never done a photo (and it can be used for other than photos also) without Photograv. I have Version 3 now and like it more than 2.1. However, remember, it is not totally foolproof and needs proper input in order to get proper output. Let us know here in the forum if you need help with it, but it's actually pretty easy.