PDA

View Full Version : How to check Laser power supply?

David Hirschfield
01-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a Rabbit HX6090se that has not been used for a few months and was disconnected and stored. It was workring perfectly when stored but now the laser (about 12 months old) won't fire. CNC components work fine.

I have an extra laser tube that is 12 months old so I am not sure it is still OK. I want to check the power supply to the laser to rule that out as a problem before installing the tube. If it doesn't work, I don't want to order a power supply if I don't need it. How do I do this safely given the high voltage output?

Also, is there a way to determine if the control signals are being sent to the power supply using a multimeter?

I emailed Rabbit today. They answered me but I am still waiting for a detailed reponse from their tech guys.

Thanks in advance,
David

pete hagan
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Have you verified that the safety switch on the door is closed and making the circuit. Also the water cooler must have the connection hooked up indicating there is water flow otherwise the laser will not fire.

Pete

David Hirschfield
01-04-2008, 3:28 AM
Have you verified that the safety switch on the door is closed and making the circuit. Also the water cooler must have the connection hooked up indicating there is water flow otherwise the laser will not fire.

Pete

Hi Pete, mine doesn't have a safety switch, maybe not required for EC cert. I'll try to short out the water flow sensor. Could have been water left in there and it dried out over the months. Seems like an obvious place to start.

David Hirschfield
01-05-2008, 7:42 AM
I found and fixed the problem which was due to my error in reconnecting the machine. I'm a bit red faced because the problem was that I had connected the water supply backwards and the sensor was reading it as no flow and preventing the laser from firing. Good thing I checked the obvious first.

The relief is that after sitting for months, the laser is operating like it was when I left it. Rabbit came through the same day on how to check the power supply. I'm actually quite surprised that my glass laser tube is still cutting at the same settings it was 12 months ago. It may have deteriorated but not noticibly so. Must have lucked out.

Thanks to all.

Can't wait to smell that sweet, acrid smell of laser smoke again!

Thanks again, David