PDA

View Full Version : Router ?

Angus Hines
01-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Looking for a small table top router. I need something that I can put a small 5/32" or smaller round over bit in for doing a very fine rounded over edge on small acrylic parts?
Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Bill Wyko
01-03-2008, 1:22 PM
You can't go wrong with Porter cable. Festool also has some very nice routers too. Depends on budget and features you might want to add in the future. I've got several PC routers and they're work horses. Festool routers offer a wide range of additional features but at a price. Can't go wrong either way.

Bill White
01-03-2008, 1:26 PM
My first router was the small Makita 1/4" plunge model. I think that they are still available. Sweet l'il router, but not a plow mule.
Bill

Bill Wyko
01-03-2008, 3:21 PM
PC also makes small routers for trimming that are easy to use on small projects as well as Bosch.

Rick Gooden
01-03-2008, 3:29 PM
If you are doing small work exclusively it might be real interesting to design a small table for the Bosch Colt which is an excellent small router.

John Gleason
01-03-2008, 3:32 PM
I just got a Trend plunge router from the Woodcraft store in Colorado Springs. It's not in the catalog, though. It's very lightweight and has a great plunge base. The kit was only $90 and comes with collet reducers for bits smaller than 1/4. I put an ogee edge on an MDF project I'm working on and it was perfect. It's the Trend T3. Varriable speed, too!

Randy Cohen
01-03-2008, 4:13 PM
i never used one as a router but couldn't you use a dremel?

Angus Hines
01-03-2008, 4:42 PM
i never used one as a router but couldn't you use a dremel?

I was looking at those here.
http://www.cporotarytools.com/accessories_and_attachments/cutting_attachments/231.html (http://www.cporotarytools.com/accessories_and_attachments/cutting_attachments/231.html)

But just wanted to get the opion of the smart people here at SMC many minds is always better than one...

Off to check out a few of the options mentioned above.