PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my little basement wood shop

harry strasil
01-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I spent the New Years weekend cleaning and rearranging some of my wood shop. I have only seen it this clean twice, the other time was when I put it in. The shop is 12 wide by 20 long, with another area on the other side of the wall for wood storage.

http://traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10014/ww_shop_pics_002.jpeg
looking south along the west wall and bench. The wall length bench has a short stop every so often to align boards for cutting off in the antique Radial arm saw.

http://traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10014/ww_shop_pics_003.jpeg
South end, showing a portion of the east wall.

http://traditionaltools.us/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10014/ww_shop_pics_004.jpeg
looking north, the north half of the shop. The work bench is 2 by 4 rectangular aluminum frame with 2 4 by 8 sheets of 3/4 plywood glued together and then screwed to the frame. The legs are 2 inch square alum tubing that fold under when needed.

On the other side of the wall is a 16 foot long by about 8ft wide lumber storage area from floor to joists.

Larry Laffer
01-03-2008, 1:06 PM
Working in a small area is a chalenge, but at least you have your wood stash out of the way. I always enjoy looking at other people's shops. Thanks for the pics. BTW, how do you like the WS3000?

harry strasil
01-03-2008, 1:34 PM
amazing little machine. a real time saver. haven't done any plane blades on it yet. need to make me a little jig for it first. on chisels its WOW.

Bob Noles
01-03-2008, 2:42 PM
Yike! Harry..... what are all of those things with tails on them doing in your shop. Your image has been spoiled :eek:

Seriously, you have a wonderful and warm looking space to work. My shop is a little smaller at 12 1/2 X 17 1/2 so I can appreciate the challanges you face as well.

Thanks for the great pictures and a further look at Harry Strasil the neander's mentor and idol ;)

Joe Mioux
01-03-2008, 3:51 PM
Yike! Harry..... what are all of those things with tails on them doing in your shop. Your image has been spoiled :eek:

;)

Looks like Harry killed the one power tool on the right hand side of the last picture. :D

Bruce Page
01-03-2008, 6:01 PM
Nice comfortable shop Harry. I too am a little surprised to see power tools in there! :p
Thanks for the tour.

Thomas Knighton
01-03-2008, 6:11 PM
Nice little shop you've got there. I'm jealous of your large space :D

Tom

Randal Stevenson
01-03-2008, 6:39 PM
One thing I looked for in your shop was your "junk" box of metal planes.

How about some more pics of the center of your bench. I know it is a tailed tool, but I would be interested in more pics of your crosscut/RAS (90 degrees only from the pics).

harry strasil
01-03-2008, 9:19 PM
Randall, I got in trouble for posting it once before, not going to go thru that again, but, here is the original post if you are interested.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=34758&highlight=radial

Maurice Metzger
01-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Junior, that's a real nice shop. Really like that Shaker style (hardware?) cabinet.

Maurice

Bill Houghton
01-03-2008, 11:27 PM
From the perspective of my 11x11 shop, that looks right big.

James Nolan
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
I also have a basement shop and was wondering what you have done to address dust issues, being so near what seems to be heat/ac duct work. I love the shop, looks so inviting and comfy, really lived in, just has that feel that Im unable to find words for. I also really like that small tool box in the background of the third pic. I rember it form a post a whiles back. Keep the pics coming Ciao james

harry strasil
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
2.5 inch dust collection tubing kit, 4 air gates, shop vac with an old one converted to a cyclone style pre cleaner. Plus I don't do much sanding.

Jerry Olexa
01-07-2008, 2:59 PM
Nice shop...looks authentic....thanks for pics

Todd Bin
01-08-2008, 1:58 PM
2.5 inch dust collection tubing kit, 4 air gates, shop vac with an old one converted to a cyclone style pre cleaner. Plus I don't do much sanding.

I thought this was the neandertal place. I am usually over in the power tool section, but I do like my planes and chisels as well, so I come over here to get good ideas on that side of things.

I thought neanders could not use power, so dust collection would be a broom and dust pan dumped into a wooden barrel.

Thomas Knighton
01-08-2008, 2:01 PM
Those aren't power tools. They're run by mice chasing cheese, like on the Flintstones :D

Tom

harry strasil
01-08-2008, 5:56 PM
Well, we all know what evolution is. I missed a foot powered band saw by 15 minutes. I would like to have a foot powered table saw, I have used one and also a foot powered router. I do have a foot powered mortiser, a treadle powered scroll saw and treadle powered lathe I built. I did make my own tablesaw many, many years ago. And do to my disabling back injury I have to be careful what I do so as not to become unable to stand or walk. My demo shop is completely Neander, but in my home shop I do use some noisy dust spewing tailed tools for the heavy grunt work out of necessity. Oh, I also use throwaway foam brushes too. Rags are getting hard to come by also as my supply of old work socks and T shirts is dwindling as I can no longer Blacksmith.
And Normites do use hand tools occasionally, so why can't a neander use power tools occasionally.
I do have a broom and a dust pan with a long handle tho, and as wooden barrels are hard to come by, I use a metal one with a plastic bag liner. My scrap bin is wood at the end of my table saw.

No disrespect intended Todd,
Respectfully
Jr.

Todd Bin
01-08-2008, 10:49 PM
No disrespect taken. I am the one who poked first. Actually, your post made me laugh trying to picture Fred Flintstone working on a tablesaw.

Sam Yerardi
01-10-2008, 3:56 PM
I love your shop Harry. Even more, I love that it is CLEAN. My shop is woodshavings from one end to the other. I need to clean mine. Badly.

Corvin Alstot
01-12-2008, 9:12 PM
Harry/
What a great looking shop. Just the sort of place to make great things or
spend the afternoon tuning up some chisels with a hot cup of coffee.
Hope to get my garage/shop like that some day.

harry strasil
01-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Corvin I did that yesterday afternoon, no coffee but a can of Pepsi, did a set of 6 chisels start to finish in about 3/4 hour. They were not in the best of shape so had to do the initial grind on each. Love my WorkSharp 3000 toy.

harry strasil
02-09-2008, 8:18 PM
The wood storage area on the other side of the partition. There are 2 more shelves below what the pic shows.

The dark looking stuff at the top left is all clear old growth yellow pine put in as shelves in the finished basement of a clothing store in 1896, was free for the removing.

Allmost all the stuff on the rack is salvaged lumber. Pine, walnut, oak, maple.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/wdstrge01.jpg

Small overhead storage area above drill and bandsaw (original storage area).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/wdstrge02.jpg

Beneath my 4 by 8 ft shop bench there are more racks that are full of shorts also.

Cliff Rohrabacher
02-10-2008, 2:42 PM
You have nicer paint than I do

Mike Guthrie
02-13-2008, 3:15 PM
Harry,

Thanks for the help with the camera settings. Pictures of my basement shop that hasn't been cleaned in 10 years. My house heats with a boiler so the dust doesn't travel to far but my wife still knows when I have been working in the basement.