PDA

View Full Version : My RAS Surprise

Al Rose
01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
A few months ago I purchased an old Dewalt MBF radial arm saw. I really didn't need it. I have a well equipped shop to do what I do. I'm just a novice woodworker that has fun building projects for the home and trying to fulfill the sometimes unrealistic requests of my wife, kids, and grandkids. I have a decent table saw, band saw, 12" SCMS, scroll saw, jointer, planer, router table, drill press, OSS, 12" disc sander and pretty much all the other things that I need ( clamps, drill/drivers, biscuit joiner, mortiser, etc, etc) to do my projects. So, what did I need a RAS for?

The MBF was built in 1957 and it came to me with all the original parts and paper work. I'm the second owner. I took it apart and cleaned it up. Since it had been in storage for the last 20+ years, I had to free up the carriage bearings, put new bearings in the motor and replace the motor start capacitor. I built a new table for it( the Mr. Sawdust design), put a new Freud blade on it, and fine tuned it( again using the Mr. Sawdust book). I ended up with a remarkably well built and totally accurate machine. I'm having a lot of fun learning about all of the capabilities of this saw. Even though it has a small motor (3/4 hp) it spins my stacked dado blades with no problem. It is perfect for making picture frames, crosscutting (up to about 14" with the fence moved back) and doing all the functions of a stacked dado set. Although it can be used as a rip saw and shaper, I think I'll stick to my table saw and router table for those jobs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was totally surprised at what a good RAS can do. My whole woodworking operation is basically an expensive hobby, and I'm having a lot of fun with this old Dewalt RAS. So, although I didn't really need it, I'm very glad that I have it now.

Thanks for putting up with my long rant.

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 11:38 AM
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was totally surprised at what a good RAS can do.

That's the key...these older machines really were much more substantial than so many of the current (outside of Original Saw Company) and more near term past offerings. If one has the space, they can be a valuable tool for certain operations as you point out.

BTW, welcome to the 'Creek!

Brian MacDonald
01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty much in the same situation, I picked up a 925 (1960 square arm) and had to replace the original wiring, motor bearings and the table. I followed the alignment instructions in Wally's book and it's spot on. I keep finding things to do with it. It's probably the best 'new' toy I've bought in years.

Don Bullock
01-03-2008, 12:27 PM
I used my dad's RAS for many years. In fact, I wish I had it in my shop today. It was a "work horse."

Richard Dragin
01-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm with you guys, I love my 925DLX. Bought it from a guy who had just cut his finger off on it because of the large rip blade and no guard. He actually stuck his hand in it at the top of the blade which is about the most avoidable accident I have ever heard of, just put the guard on it and it never would have happened. He was thrilled to get it out of his sight for $100.

After a complete breakdown and rebuild with Wally's help I have a great machine that is better than any CMS I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. I wouldn't ever want one in the shops I tend to work in because there are a lot of guys that would never bother to learn to safely use it or heaven forbid actually read a book like Wally's. With knowledge it is one of the most useful tools you can own but without it can be the most dangerous. I think that is why they get such a bad rap, most people won't take the time to learn about them or don't even know what it is they don't know.

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I'm with you guys, I love my 925DLX. Bought it from a guy who had just cut his finger off on it because of the large rip blade and no guard. He actually stuck his hand in it at the top of the blade which is about the most avoidable accident I have ever heard of, just put the guard on it and it never would have happened. He was thrilled to get it out of his sight for $100.

After a complete breakdown and rebuild with Wally's help I have a great machine that is better than any CMS I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. I wouldn't ever want one in the shops I tend to work in because there are a lot of guys that would never bother to learn to safely use it or heaven forbid actually read a book like Wally's. With knowledge it is one of the most useful tools you can own but without it can be the most dangerous. I think that is why they get such a bad rap, most people won't take the time to learn about them or don't even know what it is they don't know. Well said. The can be dangerous...ripping can have kickback and cross cutting the blade can hop and run.

Dan Bussiere
01-03-2008, 1:01 PM
I have an old Craftsman RAS and there are times when I need the space and wish it was gone. Then I need it and remember why I love it! Overall, it has earned the space it takes in my small shop.

But, since my woodworking hobby is really more about tool collecting then really making stuff, it just adds charm to the setting.

Life is too short so enjoy your new/old saw. :)

Dan

Al Rose
01-03-2008, 7:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome Jim. I really enjoy reading the posts and I've learned a lot from all of the experienced people here.

Dwain Lambrigger
01-03-2008, 7:53 PM
I use my RAS for a lot of big projects. It is really useful, as long as you are careful. I have a Craftsman early 80's model.

One question, what is Wally's book? It sounds like something I should borrow or buy. My RAS doesn't need a real cleaning, however, I would like to go through and adjust everything and make sure it is accurate. I also need to install the new table material and guard that I recently received due to the safety recall. I wouldn't have known about that without the SMC!

Thanks.

Charlie Velasquez
01-03-2008, 9:41 PM
I use my RAS for a lot of big projects. It is really useful, as long as you are careful. I have a Craftsman early 80's model.

One question, what is Wally's book? It sounds like something I should borrow or buy.

Thanks.

Wally Kunkel, known as "Mr. Sawdust" (http://www.mrsawdust.com/), was one of the most accomplished Dewalt salesmen in their employ. He later wrote a book, How to master the Radial Arm Saw, which you can purchase from his web site for $30. That book and Jon Eakes's Fine Tuning Your Radial Arm Saw -currently out of print but may see another printing- are considered the bibles of RAS maintenance.

If your RAS is a Craftsman and you are primarily concerned with tuning and maintaining your RAS then you may want to consider Eakes's book. If you have the Dewalt or you want to learn more about the different ways to use the RAS then Wally's book may be what you want.

One of the major chapters in Wally's book is the construction of a dead flat table for the RAS. Since everything is referenced from the table it is very critical that it be as flat as possible, especially if it is used for more than just a cut-off tool. However, it has been around so long you can probably find a slew of web sites that discuss the construction.

Finally, Wally's son -at least I think it's his son- helps moderate the "Radial Arm Saw Forum (http://people.delphiforums.com/snotzalot/sawdust/)" (mmm... I see they deleted the word Dewalt) .

PS - I just found Eakes has his book and a lot of other stuff on DVD at his web site (http://joneakes.com/products/) for $9.95.