PDA

View Full Version : dw735 and Ridgid osc/spindle for $400 fair?

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 11:08 AM
I've talked w/ a fellow who has a factory reconditioned dw735 w/ feed tables and 7 hours use (one nicked spot on blades), and a Ridgid osc belt/spindle sander w/ 10 hours use he'll sell for $400. I can't look at 'em myself before purchse.

Both are appox 1 yr old.

That seems fair.

I suppose 735 blades will cost me another $50 or so, unless the nick is over out of the way somehow.

What gotcha comes to mind on a 735? Do they all come w/ dust collection or was it an option? I forgot to ask about it...

Chaser

Scott Rollins
01-03-2008, 11:14 AM
The ridgid sander is excellent. I use mine more often than I thought I would. The Dewalt ejects chips out a chute pretty effectively, it may have a bag available though

I would jump on $400 for both items.

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I've talked w/ a fellow who has a factory reconditioned dw735 w/ feed tables and 7 hours use (one nicked spot on blades), and a Ridgid osc belt/spindle sander w/ 10 hours use he'll sell for $400. I can't look at 'em myself before purchse.

Both are appox 1 yr old.

That seems fair.

I suppose 735 blades will cost me another $50 or so, unless the nick is over out of the way somehow.

What gotcha comes to mind on a 735? Do they all come w/ dust collection or was it an option? I forgot to ask about it...

Chaser I think the dust port is standard, but the bag is an option. Seems like a good price. i picked up my 735 for $275 on craigslist. No feed exiensions,which are also an option. I will be building a planer station for it so I didn't care.

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 12:26 PM
And even though it's 100+ miles away I happened to have a neighbor - (and I don't have many) - who is within 10 miles of the seller today. He's gonna grab it and bring it home to me!

HD cards are to be relinquished to the home improvement fund now...well, after I see how the 735 blades look:rolleyes:...

Neighbor is also stopping by a Woodcraft store so I gotta think of something else for him to get while he's there....hmmmm.....

Chaser

Dave Sweeney
01-03-2008, 1:01 PM
If you're patient, you can sometimes find the DW7352 blades on eBay for a pretty good price. I think that most retailers get between $50-$55 for a set but I just got a set on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $34.

Jesse Cloud
01-03-2008, 1:10 PM
I would say its a fair deal, but not great. Amazon has the 735 new for $530 and as I recall the sander is about $200, so you are paying a little more than half price, which I think is about right for used stuff.

If the nick isn't bad, a sharpening service can probably grind it out.

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 1:47 PM
If you're patient, you can sometimes find the DW7352 blades on eBay for a pretty good price. I think that most retailers get between $50-$55 for a set but I just got a set on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $34.

Thanks for the tip! I'll just throw my loose change in a jar labeled (735 blades...)

But honestly, blade cost doesn't phase me, (yet, right?).

I've read much of the groaning about the 735 blade cost, but the 'premium' over other blades is maybe 3 or 4 lunches at Wendys...not the greatest negative impact on my budget by a long shot.

Chaser

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 2:06 PM
I would say its a fair deal, but not great. Amazon has the 735 new for $530 and as I recall the sander is about $200, so you are paying a little more than half price, which I think is about right for used stuff.

If the nick isn't bad, a sharpening service can probably grind it out.

Perhaps, but half of $700 is more great than half of $10. It's not a linear equation for me!

The seller actually came off of the $400 so I'm under half. :D

Dunno about sharpening the blades locally or if it's worth the effort to pursue. If it needs that much attention I'll replace it. I won't pay half of new (plus my time) for a regrind on a consumable.

Chaser

Jerry Bittner
01-03-2008, 2:13 PM
Got the 735 and it is a fine machine. Insofar as thge nick in one of the blades, they are reversible.

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 2:21 PM
Got the 735 and it is a fine machine. Insofar as thge nick in one of the blades, they are reversible.

Do you necessarily reverse them all at once?

Chaser