PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a tablesaw outfeed Cabinet

Drew Bru
01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Hi all,
I've got a pretty small shop and space is tight so I was thinking about building an outfeed cabinet for my contractor's saw. I've got a pretty stable 48" wide cabinet that I've built around the saw. The fence has a back rail, so I know I would need to leave a 1" or so gap behind the saw.

What I had planned is to build a cabinet that could hold some portable tools (perhaps my planer and spindle sander) and also serve as an outfeed/assembly table. Ideally it would be stable and level with the saw, but also have casters so it could be pushed out of the way on rare occasions. A while back I saw an article in Fine Woodworking about a guy that put together a modular unit for all of his tools (including dust collection) that shared a flat surface. Did anyone else see this article? I had something like this in mind, only about 1/2 the size. I'm looking at around 36"W by 42"deep.

Any thoughts out there?

thanks

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Seems like a very reasonable solution to get your outfeed support as well as storage in one area. The question I would pose is would the extra assembly space you would get with a fold-down outfeed solution be a better option for your small shop? In other words, which "space" need is greater based on the kinds of projects you like to build? If you go the cabinet route, it's pretty basic construction that you should be able to sketch out and just build. The critical dimensions are those relative to height...the final top elevation should be at or ever-so-slightly below the table saw top and don't forget to accommodate the miter slots. For that latter, I like a 1" wide area routed out so there is no chance of binding, especially with miter solutions that use a tee-guide.

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Check the clearance you will have with your saw blade at 45deg and the blade low - like for mitering a 1/2 panel. This is assuming your motor hangs out the back. The motor is in it's greatest 'interference' position at that time.

This had a significant effect on the outfeed panel I made to close the gap between my TS3650 and work table.

Of course if either of yours are movable you can roll 'em clear as necessary when doing miters.

Chaser

Joe Chritz
01-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I currently have a very large (4'x7') outfeed table that if free standing and attached to the saw with a couple chunks of maple and bolts. I may end up making it smaller at some point.

A cabinet will work great if the floor is level, if it isn't then final position of the cabinet can change the height. That is a realtively easy fix with marking the caster position or attaching to the saw with removable straps.

Randal Stevenson
01-03-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't remember what magazine it was originally in, but this is the one that comes to mind for me:

http (no www at all) ://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html

Another idea that I was debating before going mostly EZ, was to build a squirel cage fan, into a downdraft/outfeed table, that had a removable tops for other tools. This was based on my low ceiling height.

Art Mann
01-03-2008, 1:07 PM
By coincidence, I just finished a mobile combination outfeed and assembly table for my TS3650, although I still have to build and mount the drawers and doors. I am very well pleased with the result. I used the 3" dual locking casters from Hartville tool, and the table is about as stable as solid wooden legs when the casters are locked. I adjsted the feet on the saw so that the table surface is about 1/8" lower than the tablesaw and beveled the leading edge so as to avoid snagging. I built it so that the leading edge extends far enough forward to avoid interference when the blade is tilted.

Jesse Cloud
01-03-2008, 1:16 PM
I hear you. In a small shop, everything has to serve at least two purposes.

I built a cabinet under the extension of my TS for storing ZCI's, blades, tenon jig, etc. A big outfeed table (bigger is better) has shelves for my cross cut sled and mortising jig for the router.

If the legs of whatever you use are fairly large, just run a lag screw up each leg, then you can easily adjust the height to match the TS. I always think that I will never move new stuff in my shop, but I usually wind up doing just that. If your garage floor is as unlevel as mine, moving a few inches makes a big difference.:eek:

Chase Gregory
01-03-2008, 2:25 PM
By coincidence, I just finished a mobile combination outfeed and assembly table for my TS3650, <snip> I built it so that the leading edge extends far enough forward to avoid interference when the blade is tilted.

I'd really like to see this.

Chaser

Drew Bru
01-03-2008, 2:34 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the responses. The link that Randal provided to the "ultimate tool stand" was about in line with what I was envisioning. I remember seeing that magazine awhile ago, but I didn't give it a 2nd thought at the time. Little did I know!
I'll probably have to jostle things in my shop around a little, but this is definitely workable. I've taken into account the trade-off of assembly table space vs. floor space as Jim talked about. I've also factored in the "motor hanging off the back of the saw" problem that Chaser alluded to.
Art and Jesse: I'd love to see pictures of your finished and/or roughed out projects. I could sure use the under-wing storage if I decide to move my router to a separate table. So many projects to work on.....CRIPES!

John Hedges
01-03-2008, 3:34 PM
I built something similar to what you are describing but also included a router table in it. Here is a quick pic and a link to the original posting with more info and pictures. You might have to accomodate the back apron for when the motor is tilted, but other than that it should work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/hedgehog55/RouterTable/IMG_1000.jpg?t=1199392298

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67725

Drew Bru
01-03-2008, 4:03 PM
John,
That's pretty much what I had envisioned as far as size anyway. I like the idea of the built-in router table, and especially the roll of paper! I could use that. I'd probably skip the drawers and figure out a way to cram in my planer and spindle sander, which I don''t use too often.
Great use of scrap wood too!

Joe Close
01-03-2008, 4:41 PM
Not sure what you are exacty looking for. But here is an idea, and appears simple to build. See podcast #30 at http://thewoodwhisperer.com/
Good Luck!