PDA

View Full Version : Skew

Rich Stewart
01-03-2008, 9:52 AM
I want to start working on using a skew. I would like to get a drive center that slips when you get a catch. Is there such a thing? I found this in the PSI catalog. Is it what I need?

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcentss21.html

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Roger Myers
01-03-2008, 10:02 AM
Rich,
That is not what you are looking for... go to the Oneway website and look for the "safe center".... I used it when learning the skew, and now the skew is my go to tool....
The center you marked is like a steb center...nice, but it won't slip..
Roger

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Rich....in his videos Alan Lacer uses something more like this..

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Drive_Centers___Safe_Driver___ safe_driver?Args=

Rich Stewart
01-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Thanks a lot fellas. I just ordered it.

Kevin McPeek
01-03-2008, 7:04 PM
Sometimes I think my steb center would work for that, it seems to slip pretty easy and just starts drilling a hole. I don't know about the PSI one but if the tip is spring loaded like the Sorby you could use it as a slip center just by not keeping it all the way tight.

Ron McKinley
01-03-2008, 7:34 PM
I use the Stebcentre all the time and it would slip if I get a catch. Not that I ever get a catch. :)

Ben Gastfriend
01-03-2008, 7:35 PM
Even though you already ordered it, I'd have to say never get the PSI one. I bought it, quickly returned it, and now like the Sorby one much better. The Sorby gives just enough bite, not not enough bite like the PSI one. This thing wouldn't even let me knock down the corners.

Paul Heely
01-03-2008, 7:58 PM
I have one of the small 1/2 steb centers and it will slip depending on how tight the tail stock is. The only problem I have with it is that it tends to drill a hole in the end of the wood if, alright when, you get a catch. I also have a larger Oneway safe drive center and like that better for all but the smallest spindles. The safe drive does not drill a hole in the end of the stock when it spins. The difference is not that big once you stop getting a lot of catches but for learning I could see the steb center adding to the frustration.

Bill Stevener
01-03-2008, 8:03 PM
Hay Rich, why don't you just get a Nova DVR, the smart lathe, they stop on a penny when you get a catch. :D

Bernie Weishapl
01-03-2008, 9:03 PM
Amen Bill especially if you put it on soft setting.

Dean Thomas
01-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Rich....in his videos Alan Lacer uses something more like this..http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathe_Accessories___Drive_Centers___Safe_Driver___ safe_driver?Args=
Not true. That is EXACTLY what Alan uses! 8^)

You can use an old dead center from the tail stock, too, but the actual safe drive is a ton better.

Add to the comments of Paul that it's still a great tool to have in your arsenal for when you get a chunk that has tricky, swirly grain, and for when you want to teach someone ELSE to use the skew. Once you learn to let the darned thing catch and not jump away, you can really, really quickly learn just exactly how you got that catch. Invaluable tool.

Chuck Lubin
01-10-2008, 6:01 PM
Don't forget the ones Alan sells have the spring removed and the center just a we bit above the rim. Other than that they are the same.