PDA

View Full Version : Planeing a Cupped Board

Matt Woessner
01-03-2008, 9:11 AM
I have an antique ironing board that has some weather and water damage. I would like to refinish the piece. The top of the board is cupped slightly, has some splits at the ends, and the late and early wood are separating in places. I would like to send it through the planer to start with a decent surface for refinishing, but my concern is that the planer will ruin the edges and therefore the entire piece. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rob Will
01-03-2008, 10:22 AM
If the board is one piece, I would probably take all of the finish off, rig up a way to steam the board and clamp it in a caul as required to correct the bend.

If the board is a glue up or coming apart anyway, I would separate them or bandsaw them apart, joint the edges, and re glue the panel flat. Keep in mind that this will require retrimming the edges.

I'm thinking that if you try to machine the panel flat as is, you will ruin it.

Rob

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 10:43 AM
If you just want to refinish it (and not repair) sand it.

Matt Woessner
01-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advice, I thought maybe with a hand plane I could shape it up a little better then sand. That might give me a safer way to take away some of the weathered surface. I am a novice woodworker,and a little concerned about cutting the board into pieces, but that would probably give me the best results. Thanks again.

George Bregar
01-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the advice, I thought maybe with a hand plane I could shape it up a little better then sand. That might give me a safer way to take away some of the weathered surface. I am a novice woodworker,and a little concerned about cutting the board into pieces, but that would probably give me the best results. Thanks again. If you have a drum sander it will be much safer than machine or hand planing. Sand it cup down to get a flat surface, and then flip it.