PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a New Turning Video?

Bill Grumbine
02-25-2004, 4:32 PM
Good afternoon all

I have a question to put before the membership. Many of you know that I am a turner. I have been turning professionally for over 10 years now. Since 1995 I have also been teaching, and have taught almost every facet of turning to all kinds of people, from children to grandparents, men, women, physically challenged people, etc. During a recent class my student du jour approached me with the possibility of making a turning video. He is not the first one who has suggested the idea to me, but he is the first one who has the connections to make it happen.

This whole thing is in the most preliminary of planning stages - we are just talking seriously at this point about the concept and general procedure for actually producing this thing. The video, which could be the first of several depending on its success, would be a synopsis of the bowl turning class I teach. It would start with identifying the log in the field, cutting techniques with the chainsaw, preparation for the lathe, and then the turning sequence itself. All of the cuts and body movement techniques I use would be illustrated as clearly as possible with multiple camera angles. In fact, it would be a comprehensive moving picture covering the same subject of my bowl roughing article of a few days ago.

For those of you who have seen me turn, or have spent time with me on a formal basis, this would be a valuable review tool. For everyone else, it would be a way to see how I do it without actually having to come and see me in person. I do not want to minimize the personal aspect of learning this stuff, but a video is the next best thing, and not nearly as expensive. :)

This video would be professionally produced and made available in both DVD and VHS formats. It is not a small undertaking, and so I am posting here and in some other places to ask, what say ye? If I made this thing, are there people out there who would buy it? Do you think I am going in the right direction with this or am I out of my mind?

Comments, questions, etc, both public and private are welcome, and I hope to hear from a bunch of you.

Thanks for reading this.

Bill

Dennis Peacock
02-25-2004, 4:37 PM
Bill,

Count me in and send it on.....

Rod Torgeson
02-25-2004, 4:51 PM
Bill...When I first got my mini lathe(Carba Tech) from Penn State Ind. I also got a video about "Turning pens and other Small Projects". Before turning my first pen, I watched the video maybe two or three times, and since then I have watched it a few times. Like the old saying " A picture is worth a thousand words", it is something I can refer to now and then or let someone else watch who is interested in turning. So to make a long story short, yes I think a video is very practical. Good luck on your decision. Rod Torgeson in Appleton, WA

Glenn Clabo
02-25-2004, 5:04 PM
Bill,
I'm not a for fun turner...maybe because my machinist background makes me feel like it's work...or maybe because someone like you didn't teach me. Whatever the reason, I would buy your DVD.

Of course that wouldn't stop me from coming up to spend some time with you...when I retire...to learn how to turn and discuss/solve some of the worlds problems.

Stefan Antwarg
02-25-2004, 5:11 PM
Bill,

I think it would be a great idea. I don't think the market is flooded with this sort of product either. I was lucky enough to record DIY network woodturning and I have refered back to those for reminders.

One thought I have though. Unless it is cheap to do, I would think about not doing VHS. VHS is on its way out and more and more people are getting into dvd every year. I guess you would have to research what format woodworking videos in general get the most sales. Sure, there will be a few people who haven't switched over yet. But are those few going to be worth the expense?

Stefan

Dick Parr
02-25-2004, 5:34 PM
Bill,

I need all the help I can get. Yes I would buy a video or DVD, or what ever.

Barbara Gill
02-25-2004, 5:45 PM
Bill, will you be dressed in conventional turners attire or will you be wearing a pink tutu? LOL, sorry new folks, it is an old joke. :D
If you do it Bill, I am sure the finished product will be a valuable addition to any turner's library.

Stan Smith
02-25-2004, 6:06 PM
If you've seen the Grrripper dvd, you will do a dvd rather than a vhs tape. The dvd menu feature is really great and dvd's last a lot longer.

Stan

Chris Padilla
02-25-2004, 6:17 PM
Plus the color of that pink tutu will really stand out on a DVD! :D

Bob Powers
02-25-2004, 7:29 PM
Bill,

I answer you, not as an ancient woodworker, but as a retired proprietor of a professional video business. Our business is not that of producing video projects, but of designing, building, and instructing operators in the use of video systems. In the process of all this, covering about forty years, I have had the opportunity to observe the successful, as well as unsuccessful video productions.
You use the term "professional" to describe the type of video production company you would choose. As I am sure you know, this is a very elastic term that might be used to describe me, if I chose to sell something round with my minimal experience in turning to yourself. There are many, many people out there who describe themselves as professional video producers who ain't.

You have had advice as to the final format you shoud choose, i.e. VHS, DVD, etc. I am certain that you already know that the final format is easy. It's the original format that counts.

Enough advice. If you would like my assistance, let me know. In the event you or anybody else wonders about my motives, ulterior or otherwise, I don't produce videos, just recognize a good one when I see it.

Regards,

Bob

Good afternoon all

I have a question to put before the membership. Many of you know that I am a turner. I have been turning professionally for over 10 years now. Since 1995 I have also been teaching, and have taught almost every facet of turning to all kinds of people, from children to grandparents, men, women, physically challenged people, etc. During a recent class my student du jour approached me with the possibility of making a turning video. He is not the first one who has suggested the idea to me, but he is the first one who has the connections to make it happen.

This whole thing is in the most preliminary of planning stages - we are just talking seriously at this point about the concept and general procedure for actually producing this thing. The video, which could be the first of several depending on its success, would be a synopsis of the bowl turning class I teach. It would start with identifying the log in the field, cutting techniques with the chainsaw, preparation for the lathe, and then the turning sequence itself. All of the cuts and body movement techniques I use would be illustrated as clearly as possible with multiple camera angles. In fact, it would be a comprehensive moving picture covering the same subject of my bowl roughing article of a few days ago.

For those of you who have seen me turn, or have spent time with me on a formal basis, this would be a valuable review tool. For everyone else, it would be a way to see how I do it without actually having to come and see me in person. I do not want to minimize the personal aspect of learning this stuff, but a video is the next best thing, and not nearly as expensive. :)

This video would be professionally produced and made available in both DVD and VHS formats. It is not a small undertaking, and so I am posting here and in some other places to ask, what say ye? If I made this thing, are there people out there who would buy it? Do you think I am going in the right direction with this or am I out of my mind?

Comments, questions, etc, both public and private are welcome, and I hope to hear from a bunch of you.

Thanks for reading this.

Bill

Charles McKinley
02-25-2004, 7:50 PM
Hi Bill,

My question is about distribution. If a great video is made and no one knows about it does it make any money? Without one of the big names (Tuanton (sp) etc.) can you get into the stores and magazines?

I hope that this works out. Remember the importance of first impressions. All following sales will depend somewhat on the quality and reviews of this one.

Just mythoughts,

Ted Okolichany
02-25-2004, 8:04 PM
Bill,

Being from the mountains of Western North Carolina, and president of our local AAW chapter I can see the value of your proposed turning video to our club. Most of us harvest our turning stock from the hardwoods that grow about us...So, I can see the value from the tree to the lathe and then a finish bowl as being a valuable turning lesson.

We will buy it if you make it, and add to our club's library to share with our members.

Ted Okolichany
President Western North Carolina Woodturners Inc.
Cashiers, N.C.

Richard Allen
02-25-2004, 8:27 PM
I think you have a great reputation and are highly reguarded with the burgening ranks of woodturners.

I would suggest that you ask some of the woodturners who have made vedios. I am not sure what your goal for a vedio is. After you talk with David Ellsworth, Bob Rosand or John Jordan you might have a good idea of what to expect.

Good Luck

John Miliunas
02-25-2004, 8:38 PM
Bill, my own instructional video library is embarassingly small. One or more produced by you would be a very welcome addition! Go for it! :cool:

Dominic Greco
02-25-2004, 9:31 PM
Bill,
I would personally buy one just to keep as a reference. There is so much that goes on during one of your classes that it would be nice to have it "recorded".

You're going to throw some of your famous humor in there as well, right? Just some one liners every now and again to make sure we're all listening. :D

I can see it now,

Live from the 5 Barns complex in Kutztown PA, it's;
Turn a Bowl With Bill Grumbine
"From Log to Lathe"
A Pink Tu-tu production

See ya around,

Mark Singer
02-25-2004, 9:35 PM
Bill,
You've seen my bowls! Of course I need it!

John Weber
02-25-2004, 9:41 PM
Bill,

I really like most ww videos, I've rented all available at the library (we have a smallish library), and purchased a few. Many tools also come with a video (Tormek, Performax, Drill Doctor, Leigh jig, Grripper) to name a few, and if it's not priced to high I usually get it - some are even free. But now that I get the WW @ Home DVD I love the format. One of my favorite sections is turning will Dick Sing, a great sense of humor. DVD's are just perfect for instructional aids. I'm sure you would do a great job, and I would like to own a video you might do. I spoke to Roger Cliffe once about this books, he really enjoyed doing them, but commented it wasn't the path to get rich. As already mentioned I think Taunton Press is the big player, and that is who I look at for quality books and videos. Finally, Marc Adams from the school of woodworking produces videos, many are on my short list - he is very good. You should give him a call sometime, the classes are excellent, you would make a great instructor, and you could visit your old buddies back in Indiana.

Best of Luck - John

Dale Thompson
02-25-2004, 9:54 PM
Bill,
I've been there myself. About fifteen years ago, I started a business where I sell audio cassette training programs for a national Fire Protection Certification Exam. The business has been VERY good to me (www.firetech.com). The advantages that I had were: No credible competition and a very defined market. The tricky part was getting the "word" out to your market. For a one-quarter page ad in an industry publication, my costs ranged from $275 to about $1500 per month. Many times you can sneak in a "free" plug when you are introducing a "new" product.

If I had your talent, I would NOT start with cutting down a tree, chainsawing blanks and telling folks to let them dry for two or three years. I would use that as a trailer, or whatever, on a DVD. People who buy instructional materials are usually "NOW" people. In other words, "How can you help me TODAY"?

My approach would be to do a video (DVD) of the things that you do in the previous post that you mentioned. If you think that sharpening tools is important, give that some time and close up views. Whatever, be as specific with the camera as is possible.

Most importantly, do NOT assume that your viewers know ANYTHING!! Don't talk DOWN to us!! Keep your dialogue basic and try to think of when YOU were doing this cut for the first time.

Show CONFIDENCE but don't tell your customers how "easy" it is. It is NOT "easy" for us. That is why we bought your DVD!!

Sorry for the long post, Bill, but the above have been my experiences over the past fifteen years.

BEST OF LUCK IF YOU DECIDE TO PROCEED!!

Dale T.

Mike Johnson
02-26-2004, 7:20 AM
Hello, Bill.

Add me to the list of those who will buy it as soon as it's made.

Kevin Kelly
02-26-2004, 7:27 AM
Having take some lessons from Bill, i'd love to have a video to refer back to. It's especially helpful for those of us who don't get to the lathe near as often as we'd like

Pete Fox
02-26-2004, 8:37 AM
Bill,

Add me to the interested list!

Pete

Ken Salisbury
02-26-2004, 8:53 AM
GO FOR IT BILL ! ! ! !

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2004, 9:06 AM
Bill, I'm not a turner yet but I've visited your website. I am sure I'll be a turner in the future and believe a video would be a great reference. Somethings joinery for example can be learned by looking at the desired finished product and considering the tools and methods to arrive there. Turning appears to me to be a dynamic thing and seeing it done with an explanation can be a great learning tool for such. I'd buy your video.
Ken

Tyler Howell
02-26-2004, 9:28 AM
I would take one just to see what goes one in the world that defies logic.

Pete Lamberty
02-26-2004, 9:36 AM
Hi Bill, Although I am not a turner and would not buy a video, I think it is a wonderful idea that you should persue. I guess I look at it differently than most people, but it seems that I look at everything differently than most people. This is a multi purposeful opportunity, it would promote your career as a woodturner and it would teach your children that it's a good thing to take some risks and see what will happen. Since they are home schooled, they will be able to take time out from their normal routine and watch the process of filming a video. I think it is a win win situation. Go for it. Good luck. Pete

David Klug
02-26-2004, 9:56 AM
Bill after seeing some of your work I would love to have a vidieo of your work. I like the idea of you showing how to get your material out of a log. GO FOR IT!!!!

DK

Rick Prevett
02-26-2004, 11:53 AM
Bill, your reputation proceeds you in the woodturning world.

Every forum I read, your's are the posts that I absolutely read, without fail. Your online presence is informative, pleasant, witty, and I feel you are talking to us, not at us.

A video with this same kind of presence would be a treat to watch.

I've learned something from every turning video I own. Yours would be no exception.

Put me down for two. (I like DVD's myself). One for me and one for our club.

Respectfully,
Rick

Jay Kilpatrick
02-26-2004, 12:39 PM
but I'd have to preview the whole thing a few times first...just kidding (about the preview part).
~Jay... feeling silly and voting to "bootleg" while knowing a future purchase is on the horizon

Ray Dockrey
02-26-2004, 1:46 PM
Bill, I hope things work out that you are able to make the video. This would give me a chance to learn from you without going all the way up north to take a class from you. I think that this would give many people the oppertunity to learn the art of going from log to bowl that they (me) wouldn't have had otherwise. I would certainly order the video. Good Luck and God Bless.

Martin Shupe
02-26-2004, 2:41 PM
Sign me up, Bill, but I expect an autographed copy!

Jim Becker
02-26-2004, 5:40 PM
I would echo Mr. Salisbury's comments, but he used up all the red pixels... :D

Bill Grumbine
02-26-2004, 6:48 PM
Thanks everyone, for your responses and votes! I have gotten a tremendous response to this question in all the places I have posted, so it looks like there will be a video forthcoming.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and will be studying this thread as I put together the outline of what I want to do with this project. I am grateful for the suggestions and the comments, and I may be contacting some of you to discuss some of the things you mentioned. Just so you know, this is not going to happen overnight, but it is going to happen, Lord willing. And for all of you who want an autographed copy, I can certainly take care of that.

Thanks again!

Bill

Bob Oswin
02-26-2004, 6:59 PM
Good afternoon all

I have a question to put before the membership. Many of you know that I am a turner.

Thanks for reading this.

Bill

Bill :
Knowledge has to be passed on from the do'ers to the "thinkers".

There is far too much superficial information out here right today for half a days pay!
Get "her" done and we will be there for the christening!

bob

Ken Garlock
02-26-2004, 9:26 PM
Bill, will you be dressed in conventional turners attire or will you be wearing a pink tutu? LOL, sorry new folks, it is an old joke. :D
If you do it Bill, I am sure the finished product will be a valuable addition to any turner's library.

Barbara, I think in Bill's case, it would be a pink threethree or maybe even a fourfour :D :D

Jeff Rich
02-27-2004, 7:16 AM
I also work in the professional video market, installing systems, and agree that the word "pro" gets tossed around a lot!
As for interest in the video, I think ALOT of people would be interested in the overall process from log to bowl.
I have some of my turnings at work and I am asked daily about how I do them. I have even thought of doing a little home brew Goblet video.
So, I say GO FOR IT! Make sure to master on a media that wont go buggy in the next 5 years.

Scott Greaves
02-27-2004, 3:33 PM
Bill!

I think this is wonderful! I still have, and watch, your last video! A DVD would be fantastic! I would also love to see the whole log to bowl process.

I have some friends that have produced penturning videos and are selling them themselves. It can be a little scary at first, but soon the various woodturning retailers will pick it up, and you will be on your way! If there is any help I can be, I would be happy! And if you do a section on penturning, I'll even promote it on our Penturners.org website! :D

I would buy at least one! And would like it autographed!

Scott.

Joe Pack
02-27-2004, 11:39 PM
I would love to have it, Bill, but only if it is an autographed copy.

Good luck if you choose to take this project on.

Joe

Ron McNeil
02-28-2004, 8:32 AM
Bill, I will buy one. I try to read all of your posts and I enjoy seeing your work. You are a very talented turner. I'm glad your going to do this.

Bill MacLachlan
02-28-2004, 9:17 AM
Bill;
I think it is a great idea and I would be interested in one. If I can pick up so much from you in these forums and your website, imagine what I can learn in a DVD.
Bill

Doug Jones
02-28-2004, 12:58 PM
yep,,,I'd buy one. Need all the help I can get.

Is the DVD version going to be in DTS ES or just 5.1 surround.

Steve Inniss
02-28-2004, 6:28 PM
Bill,
I'm a little late in responding, have not been around much lately.

I have over the years been asked to do/participate in a turning video that incorporates the entire process - tree to bowl (I use an ecologically balanced approach to woodlot management for those concerned). Although I never did pursue the video, I do believe the inclusion of the log>green wood, rough-turning process, AND the final finishing techniques are important differentiators, and are currently lacking from what I've seen.
There appear to be plenty of videos showcasing the nice clean process of mounting a dry round cherry blank and making a 6" bowl.

Secondly, I don't know what the production costs would be for your project but it would seem logical that you be one of your own best customers. I can't imagine a better "topping off" of a training class, than each participant receiving your DVD. Were I taking a class, for example windsor chairs from Mike Dunbar, I would perceive a DVD covering what we did as a value add, even if I paid for it (cost anyway) in the course fee. Bowl turning skills evolve as an iterative process over the years - at least for me. Your "students" referring back to the video now and again will pick up a new technique, hear an important sound - you get the idea.

People tell me nobody makes any money from making a video. I think it doesn't matter if you enjoy the process and have something to share.

Best wishes on the project if you do it Bill, I'll buy one because I certainly don't know it all, and I'll recommend it. -Steve