PDA

View Full Version : Red Dot Pointer

Ricky Gore
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
When the machine is reset, should the red dot pointer point to 0,0?

Mine is at 0,.5

When I try to set home at the top left of a piece, it is always off by about that much too, whats up?

Epilog Helix 24...

Scott Shepherd
01-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Should be at 0,0 yes. There's a procedure in the manual for resetting home. It's simple to do, but you MUST follow directions exactly. Mainly the point that once you move it, you must resend the file and run it again.

Learn how to do it because you'll have to do it every now and then.

Ricky Gore
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Actually I just ran a test with the word Hello at the top left, and it engraves it in the right spot, but whenever I hit reset the pointer does not go home it is about .5 inches down.

Scott Shepherd
01-03-2008, 9:05 AM
Maybe I am mistaken where it is when it's parked. Either way, learn to adjust it, it will be moving which is something I hated. I do a lot of repeat work that all goes together. It's 100's of things that all go together and 1 of them at a time gets updated. With having to move the home location, it meant that all my previous work wasn't quite right, so I couldn't use that to model future things off of. Really a pain.

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I suspect that position varies by model. On my ULS VL-series, the head parks at upper-right (X=16",Y=0"), after power-on-reset and after every job. There's a separate screen in the driver (for manual focus) that will position it at any desired position...but it goes back to the 'park' position when the actual job starts.

(Mine appears to be off by about 0.01" (+X) relative to the actual engraving field, but I'm not sure there's a user-accessable adjustment for it on this model.)

Peck Sidara
01-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Ricky, What you're seeing is just the parked position and not the home position, two different things. What Steve (Scott Shephard) is referring to is testing/checking/recalibrating the home position.

To confirm whether your home position is properly calibrated; create a small back filled box in Corel and place it exactly 1" from the top and 1" from the left. Run the job on some scrap wood and measure using calipers. If it's off, you can adjust the x-y home thru the keypad.

Mike Mackenzie
01-03-2008, 1:03 PM
Lee,

If your 0,0 is off the only way to reset it would be to adjust the rulers. On that system it is not as easy because they used double stick tape to mount the rulers to the table.

What you would have to do is to remove the rulers clean the tape off of both the rulers and the table, place masking tape onto the table where the rulers were and then print a 16x12 page frame. This will cut the tape then pull off the inside of the cut tape and align the rulers to the remaining tape left on the table.

On all of the other systems the rulers are screwed down so the adjustment was easier.

My recommendation would be not to mess with it if it is only off by that little bit.

Lee DeRaud
01-03-2008, 1:50 PM
My recommendation would be not to mess with it if it is only off by that little bit.That's the plan. :cool:

Anything with positioning that critical is (usually) not full-table-size, so I just cut a positioning jig out of 1/4" MDF and offset the drawing to match.

Roy Brewer
01-03-2008, 10:35 PM
When I try to set home at the top left of a piece, it is always off by about that much too, whats up?Ricky,
We should probably explain that the purpose for the offset is to allow you to manually focus on flat materials at the "park" position. That is, manually focus on flat product without having to move the lens assembly out, away from the rulers.

If, however, when you set a new home position some distance away from "mechanical home" the home and park are the same on the current firmware. If your Epilog "parks" at a different location than the location you set, then you need to download and install the current firmware.