PDA

View Full Version : Shutter wood type

Douglas Barnard
01-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi,

New to the forum and I have a project midstreem I'd like some advice on. Have a nice summer cabin (over 100 yrs old) that has some shutters I removed to refinish. I took them to a local chemical stripping place and when I got them back I found out that there was more putty(now missing) holding them together than anything else. Want to build new ones, wondering what would be the best type of wood to use. They are simple in design, and I've saved the hardware. Only three different sizes will do the whole cabin. It is located next to a lake in upstate NY so temps will range from -30 to 90 degrees and humidity will also be quite variable. I'm guessing a cedar or something but would like advice. Thanks ; )

Ted Jay
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
I think it depends also on how you are building them. Are you making louvers, raised panels, flat panel, board and batten, or a combination shutter. It can add to the price.

If you wanted long life no frill, low maintenence you could go IPE and make some board and batten shutters. Heck, you could make'em out of T&G IPE wood flooring material. Last a long time, real insect resistant, and decay resistant.

Are you going to apply a finish or leave them to naturally age? Redwood is resistant to decay, it's soft and weathers quickly, so you might want a finish on it if you don't like the natural aging. Same with cedar.

So ya have to think what kind of maintenance your going to be doing when ya visit that "summer cabin". Are ya going up to relax or to have to work on it every time and relax when you get back to your real job....:p

Oh, and welcome to the creek.
Ted

Todd Burch
01-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I would use Cypress. Light weight, each to work. They will last a lifetime.

Todd

Ted Jay
01-02-2008, 11:59 PM
I would use Cypress. Light weight, each to work. They will last a lifetime.

Todd

Todd
I forgot all about Cypress, good choice...

Russ Filtz
01-03-2008, 7:45 AM
Is the "new" cypress as good as the old growth cypress? I have heard it's not. But is it still good enough to do the job?

Lee Schierer
01-03-2008, 9:36 AM
I would use PVC. It will outlast you and most of your heirs and the maintenance will be minimal. They are available in a variety os styles and colors. They will not be cheap, but then neither is your time. You can spend the time you don't use making them for fishing at your cabin.

If you really want to build your own ocnsider cypress or redwood.

Al Killian
01-03-2008, 2:40 PM
First choice would be PVC, followed by cypress. The cypress that I used to build chairs this past summer didnt seem to be botherd by the wether so far. Where as the pine one has already started to crack and gray.

Douglas Barnard
01-03-2008, 7:55 PM
Thanks for all the posts !! The pvc was one of my original ideas, then I got back to thinking.... The cabin is over 100 years old, been maintained well over the years and I just can't bring myself to put "Plastic" on it so I think I'm going with the cypress. I have "dabled" (a few shadowboxes and some home repairs)in woodworking over the years and have collected enough tools to do the job somewhat easily. I'm going to follow the original design being it is an open mortise and tenon. Set up the 1959 Sears radial arm, new ryobi table and 90's craftsman router to do the rough work. Will probably have to talk my better half into a scroll saw to carve the anchors in the panes. I really enjoy tinkering while at the cabin and since it is lakeside if I need a break I just paddle out and drop a line. Will post a picture of it soon.

thanks again

DJB

Douglas Barnard
01-03-2008, 8:06 PM
O. K. here is a picture..... anyone up for some fishing ???

Douglas Barnard
01-03-2008, 8:09 PM
Yes that is a 75 + year old Black Walnut in front. A linb fell down during a bad storm las year and I took it to a local mill and had it cut and kiln dried. Sometime in the near future I will be looking for advice on squareing up the rough cut stock to use on a chest.

Ted Jay
01-03-2008, 10:43 PM
O. K. here is a picture..... anyone up for some fishing ???

Right now...... looks like it's going to be ice fishing!:eek:
When you catch 'em please post a pic, that'll do just fine.:D