PDA

View Full Version : picture post

James Jaragosky
01-02-2008, 9:40 PM
i was really happy with this one. i usually have a great deal of trouble with to much black in the original photo. what do you thing
A. nice work make them all like that
B. its ok but you could have done better.
C. good tinder for the heater if youfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/amber%27s%20camera%20008_640x480.jpg haven't put any poly on it yet.:eek: Sorry about the small size but i just cant seen to get a larger photo into that 107kb restriction i think ill just start using photo bucket like the rest of the crowed.:mad:

Jim Watkins
01-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I think it turned out really good James.

What size is it though? I find when the people are that small to the background, that bigger is better. I do a lot of 8x10's.

I have found that there is not much to be done with those photos where the background has so many dark colors. I sometimes try to adjust the brightness by 15 - 20% (brighter) and do a test piece.

But it looks just fine.

James Jaragosky
01-03-2008, 11:26 AM
that is the same piece in both pictures just different lighting and angles. i did lighten it up about 15-18 %. it is 8.5 x 11

Larry Bratton
01-03-2008, 1:09 PM
i was really happy with this one. i usually have a great deal of trouble with to much black in the original photo. what do you thing
A. nice work make them all like that
B. its ok but you could have done better.
C. good tinder for the heater if youfile:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_Administrator/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/amber%27s%20camera%20008_640x480.jpg haven't put any poly on it yet.:eek: Sorry about the small size but i just cant seen to get a larger photo into that 107kb restriction i think ill just start using photo bucket like the rest of the crowed.:mad:
James:
Nice work overall. Your makin progress!
About your photos..Frank turned me on to this program called Advanced Jpg Compressor. It's excellant for $30 bucks. It takes your photo, you set a target kb of 100 and wa..la..you have a good photo for uploading and staying within the limit. Their are other things also, I believe Scott uses a Windows Power Toy that does the same thing, but I never could get it to cooperate. (probably operator error). I like the compressor because you have good control over your sizes.
Keep up the good work! Here's the link http://www.winsoftmagic.com/

Mike Null
01-03-2008, 1:16 PM
James

I like it. It looks saleable to me.

Barbara Buhse
01-03-2008, 3:39 PM
The bride's dress looks like actual WHITE... what material did you start with? Was it white or almost white, or is it the lighitng making it appear so? I usually use alder, so bridal gowns are always a bit of a challenge, since they're usually a big spot of "unengraved" wood...

BTW, I always adjust brightness and contrast on photos (mostly add about 20% brightness, 10% contrast). However, if the foreground is ok and the background is too dark, I will cut the foreground subjects out, copy and paste it in its original position, (now you have the photo AND a layer with just the subjects) and then lighten the whole picture which is in the background, leaving the pasted subjects to their original shading.

and did I say it looks really good...

Barbara

James Jaragosky
01-03-2008, 3:51 PM
The bride's dress looks like actual WHITE... what material did you start with? Was it white or almost white, or is it the lighitng making it appear so? I usually use alder, so bridal gowns are always a bit of a challenge, since they're usually a big spot of "unengraved" wood...

BTW, I always adjust brightness and contrast on photos (mostly add about 20% brightness, 10% contrast). However, if the foreground is ok and the background is too dark, I will cut the foreground subjects out, copy and paste it in its original position, (now you have the photo AND a layer with just the subjects) and then lighten the whole picture which is in the background, leaving the pasted subjects to their original shading.

and did I say it looks really good...

Barbara
Thank you for the advice and secondly for the complement.
The wood is 3/16 birch b/bb grade. I selected that piece for its level of whiteness over some other pieces from the same supply.
I really think that the cut, lighten and re-past idea is the way to go for me to reach the next level of quality in my work, thanks for that idea. Now the hard part,
working that into my pricing.