PDA

View Full Version : Blow Out!

Jon Lanier
01-02-2008, 9:34 PM
No one was hurt during this process. http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL561/3684635/7593283/277313358.jpg

The tenon blew. I either had it to small or I should not have used a piece of wood glued to make a longer tenon. It looks like it took off at the glue seem. I use Tite Bond II glue. The top glue up is Canary Wood. I thought that would look kinda cool on the tips.

Oh I was attempting a 'square' bowl.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/7069/blowout2nz8.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1145/blowout1gy1.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2008, 9:37 PM
I bet that was exciting!!! Glad you didn't get hurt! Better luck next time!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Glad you weren't hurt! I've had one or two tenons break and it's exciting!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2008, 11:29 PM
I bet the pucker factor was high when it went. Glad you weren't hurt Jon. I just don't like to glue tenons. When I first started I made a couple a little short and not one held when I glued on a longer piece of wood. Haven't since.

Jon Lanier
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM
I bet the pucker factor was high when it went. Glad you weren't hurt Jon. I just don't like to glue tenons. When I first started I made a couple a little short and not one held when I glued on a longer piece of wood. Haven't since.

Actually Bernie there was no Pucker at all. Not because I've got nerves of steal or anything like that. I'm just so slow to react in my older age that by the time I could have a reaction the bowl bouncing had stopped. And my first thought was, "Hey, where'd my bowl go?" Kinda like getting into the 85 MPH batting cage... two balls went by me before I could take one swing. :rolleyes:

Ben Gastfriend
01-03-2008, 6:43 AM
I would have really liked to see that bowl...

Oh yeah... priorities... glad you weren't hurt, Jon. We've all had something happen to us like this once (or multiple times, in my case), yet we all keep turning.

Good luck in the future.

robert hainstock
01-03-2008, 7:56 AM
I'm happy you were able to duck, or were standing out of the way. Your expierence and the posting of it may keep one of us from sharing your moment as it were. Hope you'll try that form again. :D:D
Bob

Jim Becker
01-03-2008, 9:12 AM
Hey, look at as an opportunity...to use a few bad words that otherwise you'd never have the chance to shout! :D :D :D

(Stuff happens...DAMHIKT!)

Dale Gregory
01-03-2008, 9:21 AM
Glad you were not hurt! That's a good reason for wearing a face shield when turning (at least when roughing out). I had a catch a few weeks ago and the bowl became a 4 pc. work of art....ha, not!

Dale

Allen Neighbors
01-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Rough on nerves, that. You might try roughing the area of the glue joint with some 40 or 50 grit. It gives the joint a little "tooth". Also, if the wood is green, or damp, you might try CA instead of Titebond.
Anyway, it started beautifully, so make a save out of it. :D

Bob Hallowell
01-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Jon, you might want to bring your tailstock up to the work peice until all rough shaping is done that might of saved you.

Bob

David Fried
01-03-2008, 11:14 AM
I'm just so slow to react ...

So, it's not just me?!!? I always describe it as the bowl was there and then it was gone. I always seem to miss what happens in the middle!

Glad it all turned out OK.

Pat Doble
01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Dooooh. Glad to hear you weren't hurt. My lathe launched a couple of spalted birch pieces across the shop last weekend when the punky tenons tore off. Always gets the blood pumping....

Jon Lanier
01-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks everyone. That's why I post this... I got some good feed back on what to do better for next time.

-Jon

Dan Forman
01-04-2008, 1:59 AM
Not a bad ending, all things considered. Looks like you can save the bowl, and nobody hurt. I lost a bowl a couple of weeks ago, just touching up the inside when I had a serious catch, next thing I knew there was a bang when the bowl hit something, not even user what. The foot had broken off, but nothing was damaged except the bowl. And so it goes.

Dan

Reed Gray
01-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Your tenon may be a bit under sized. You want at least 1/3 the diameter of the bowl, like a 12 inch bowl should have a 4 inch tenon. Also, if the inside measure of your chuck jaws is 3 inches, then you want a 3 1/8 to 3 1/4 inch wide tenon. You get a better grip with more metal on the wood. 2 inch jaws on a 4 inch tenon only have 8 small points of contact. You can get away with smaller tenons, and small jaws on a large tenon if you take light cuts. All that being said, there are some catches that will tear anything off the lathe.
robo hippy