PDA

View Full Version : Target coatings?

Rick Moyer
01-02-2008, 6:27 PM
Where do most of you purchase your Target finishing materials; direct?
I am concerned about having water-based stuff shipped in the freezing cold. Should I be? I also don't know of a "local" supplier. Any suggestions as to who might carry their products? The "local" Woodcraft is at least an hour away, so I suspect I'm gonna have to have some shipped anyway, but thought you all could give some insight.

Jim Becker
01-02-2008, 7:56 PM
I buy from Target Direct most of the time, but have also bought from Homestead Finishing.

JayStPeter
01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
I think you're correct to be concerned about freezing. Jeff at Homestead checked out the weather before shipping my order a couple winters ago. He was concerned about it.

Christof Grohs
01-03-2008, 1:22 AM
Jeff at Homesteadfinishing. He is an asset to the woodworking(finishing) community.

Jamie Buxton
01-03-2008, 1:29 AM
For whatever it is worth, today I received two gallons of finish UPS'd from Target. I'm in California, so I'm guessing it was shipped last Wednesday or Thursday in New Jersey. There's no sign of freezing -- bulged lids or the like.

Rick Moyer
01-03-2008, 5:45 PM
OK, so where to they ship from?
Jay- you're in MD and got from Homestead
Jayme-You're in CA and got from Target in NJ?

I think I could order from NJ and have the next day, regular UPS. Order while the warm front is here soon.

Edit: nevermind. I found the distributor list from another post. Loks like next day from NJ direct from Target, 2 days from Homestead; assuming an order would be shipped ASAP.

Jim Knishka
01-03-2008, 7:06 PM
I ordered from Homestead just recently with the same concern. The box is marked that it can not freeze, and Jeff also designated the package signature required.

Jamie Buxton
01-03-2008, 8:36 PM
OK, so where to they ship from?
Jay- you're in MD and got from Homestead
Jayme-You're in CA and got from Target in NJ?

I think I could order from NJ and have the next day, regular UPS. Order while the warm front is here soon.

Edit: nevermind. I found the distributor list from another post. Loks like next day from NJ direct from Target, 2 days from Homestead; assuming an order would be shipped ASAP.

At one point in time, Homestead was only willing to ship on Mondays. You might check carefully if you place an order.

Larry Fox
01-03-2008, 8:41 PM
Homestead is a small operation run by Jeff and his wife and his shipping is not always "automatic" and immediate like some other vendors (which is completely understandable). Knowing this, if I need it in a rush I state so when I order and ask that they please expidite it. To date, they have been very accomodating and I have not had a case where they missed.

Al Killian
01-05-2008, 12:12 PM
I order direct. Talking with the local UPS delivery guy, he told me they keep all packages close to the front of the truck if there can not be frozen. This will keep them above 40degrees.

Rick Moyer
01-05-2008, 7:04 PM
I ordered direct from Target yesterday (Friday). Supposed to be above freezing all next week, so I should be OK. I assume they will ship the beginning of the week.

Jim Becker
01-05-2008, 8:08 PM
I ordered direct from Target yesterday (Friday). Supposed to be above freezing all next week, so I should be OK. I assume they will ship the beginning of the week.

LOL...so did I.... :)

Tim Sproul
01-06-2008, 2:47 AM
I used to buy from Target Coatings direct as they were less expensive. I think Jeff Jewitt caught onto this price differential and now his pricing matches Target Coatings direct. I get my coatings from Jeff Jewitt - along with many other things related to finishing.

JayStPeter
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
With all the help and advice I've gotten from Jeff, I buy from him. He also tints to custom colors when you are "painting" something.